PDA

View Full Version : Tides dripless seal for rudders

Red Hatt
05-29-2014, 11:41 PM
When I purchased my Hatt the previous owner had installed the tides dripless rudder seals. This spring one of the seals started to leak. I hauled the boat for a bottom job and had the yard order new seals . It's 21 days later and the tides people have sent the wrong seals two times. Should I just put back the old system re packing etc. Or wait another few days for the seals???? Suggestion would help. I' m very frustrated with the tides company.

magnawake
05-30-2014, 06:47 AM
What a CROC !!! Thanks for the heads up on Tides. Why so long to get the part? Whats wrong with them over nighting the part? I would be furious. I was thinking about dripless rudder seal also. Water collects in the aft bilge but not enough for the pump to switch on and pump it all out. Then it starts to smell. I dont like water in the boat, even in the bilge. I usually wet Vac the water out after a run. Good luck with the part.

Beckytek
05-30-2014, 08:59 AM
I can't see why anyone would fool around with dripless seals. They still have to be maintained every so many years and who knows when they give way and you have a real flooding problem when they do. I was just out in my boat this weekend and got to inspect my rudders and shafts for leaks while underway. There was not a drop of water leaking from any of them. I haven't touched the rudder seals adjustment ever since I owned the boat, (11 years). I haven't tightened up my starboard stuffing box even once in all that time. I replaced the packing in my port stuffing box at the begining of last year with Duramax ultra-x and the box has never leaked one drop of water since, ever. The company even sent me a sample 2 foot piece to try, so it didn't cost a penny to replace. It does shed a little graphite under the box though, but no water. So I guess you can say I have dripless seals.

bobk
05-30-2014, 09:26 AM
Regular Goretex packing should be fine for rudders. If they loosen and leak too easily, check the cutless bearing and the shaft. I found my bearings were shot and the rudder shafts were slightly rough or pitted. The prop shop cleaned up the shafts a bit, and new bearings (one from Sam's cut in half did both sides) and we have had no more leaks for four years or so.

Bobk
1981 48 MY

Red Hatt
05-30-2014, 10:16 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I just called the boat yard and told them to put back the orginal packing . NO MORE TIDES SEALS FOR ME !

Cricket
05-30-2014, 07:01 PM
I've been using Tides shaft and rudder seals for at least 12 years without issue and their customer support has always been topnotch when doing periodic maintenance. Surprised.

31FlyCruzr
05-30-2014, 10:26 PM
A rudder doesn't turn fast enough to generate heat. I tighten the packing till it stops leaking on the rudders. I use gor-tex packing for shafts and rudders. shafts I am more careful setting, after adjustment I check for heat with a craftsman non contact thermometer. It has a laser target and you can measure running part temps from several feet away. If it is getting warm/hot it is too tight.

Red Hatt
05-30-2014, 10:53 PM
The parts were overnighted at least twice . I gave them the serial # on the seal and they still sent the wrong seal. Come to find out the original seal was put in 2007 and tides changed the design and the new design didn't t fit. They are suppose to send the same design seal from 2007 . I have decided it's not worth all the trouble. I will just get the boat yard to install the original packing and do away with the tides rudder seals. I do have the tides seals for the shafts and they have been fine no problems so far.

Boatsb
05-30-2014, 11:49 PM
If I remember right the manufacturer recommends changing the hose every 6 years too.