PDA

View Full Version : Inverter Bliss

Vincentc
05-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Since resolving a few installation issues, thanks forum members and Magnum customer support, I continue to be pleased with the inverter. It has kept the refrigerator, freezer, and stereo running for a number of day trips. When the shore power is turned off, the inverter turns itself on without interrupting the music. This past weekend the 2800 watt inverter ran the induction cooktop burner and my daughter cooked sausage and make rotel cheese dip without cranking the generator. The inverter battery bank was at 53% when we got back to the dock that evening. I expect that once there is a more pressing need for an air conditioning, the inverter will get a rest, but for now it is nice.

krush
05-29-2014, 01:44 AM
Higher end RV's have installed inverters since the 90's. It just makes sense. Toss in auto-start for the genset along with new technology batteries and it's a winning combo.

GJH
05-29-2014, 06:21 AM
Higher end RV's have installed inverters since the 90's. It just makes sense. Toss in auto-start for the genset along with new technology batteries and it's a winning combo.

Heck, I put one into my Chevy van in 1972 to power my stereo. Thing buzzed away but you couldn't hear it once that sound system was set to "truckin'" volume. 35 years later it was one of the first things I put in the boat.

Actually I think Magnum got their start in the RV biz, my instruction manual always referred to the "coach". When I downloaded a newer manual a couple of years ago for the same model, it was much more comprehensive and had a lot of boat-related verbage and directions.

bostonhatteras
05-29-2014, 09:16 AM
The inverter is probably one of the best improvements I've done. Ditto the automatic generator start feature, get that and you wont have to think about much at all. The inverter adds so much to comfort, I think only air conditioning adds more. Did you wire the inverter to the entire a.c. panel? I'm surprised running a cooktop plus all other loads you only used less than 50% bank capacity. watch how far you deplete the batteries. The deeper the depletion the less life you will experience. There is a direct correlation between the two. Enjoy!

Vincentc
05-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Boston,
The inverter is wired to a three breaker sub panel which feeds the port, stbd, and galley outlets. The induction cooktop is a single burner which plugs into an outlet. The induction burner appears much more efficient than resistance heat. It boils water about 5x quicker than the 110v princess.
I bought the induction burner after one of the kids tried to boil water for hot dogs on the princess and asked if the stove was broken when it took more than 20 minutes to boil water.

krush
05-29-2014, 08:47 PM
The chinese induction burners that plug into 120v outlet work well...and they are cheap off amazon.

Vincentc
05-29-2014, 09:14 PM
I know.

Salty Dame
05-29-2014, 11:32 PM
I have my inverter bank on the port side and the inverter on the starboard. In between lies my autopilot compass although 3' forward. No other way to do it in this boat. The only problem is when the inverter gets a big load it takes a 10 degree turn to the right. I've learned to deal with it. I love my inverter too but but Mom always liked my Genset best.

bostonhatteras
06-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Boston,
The inverter is wired to a three breaker sub panel which feeds the port, stbd, and galley outlets. The induction cooktop is a single burner which plugs into an outlet. The induction burner appears much more efficient than resistance heat. It boils water about 5x quicker than the 110v princess.
I bought the induction burner after one of the kids tried to boil water for hot dogs on the princess and asked if the stove was broken when it took more than 20 minutes to boil water.

I experienced the "easy bake oven by Hasbro" efficiency of the Princess stove too. Frustrating to say the least. An electrical engineer tried to tell me "watts is watts", meaning that 110 or 220 the heat would be the same! obviously not. Moved to propane and never looked back. I did a similar set up as you with a sub panel and three breakers - reefer, galley, entertainment. Labeled the inverter powered receptacles so everyone knows which are which.

krush
06-02-2014, 10:39 PM
An electrical engineer tried to tell me "watts is watts", meaning that 110 or 220 the heat would be the same! obviously not.

The problem was you were talking with an electrical engineer instead of a mechanical (heat transfer and thermodynamics). Watts is watts, but heat transfer efficiency is much greater with an induction burner. And propane stores lots of watts of heat energy.

Watts is btu/hr is heat is non-boiling water is.......but most electrical guys don't understand entropy (aka the 2nd law of thermodynamics), haha.

Boatsb
06-03-2014, 07:27 AM
The problem was you were talking with an electrical engineer instead of a mechanical (heat transfer and thermodynamics). Watts is watts, but heat transfer efficiency is much greater with an induction burner. And propane stores lots of watts of heat energy.

Watts is btu/hr is heat is non-boiling water is.......but most electrical guys don't understand entropy (aka the 2nd law of thermodynamics), haha.

Entropy is the law of my tool box.

krush
06-03-2014, 07:37 AM
Entropy is the law of my tool box.

Internet forums are a perfect example of entropy in action!

doc g
06-03-2014, 08:35 AM
That was also my daughter's name when she was little .......Entropy!

jim rosenthal
06-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Owners of boats understand entropy all too well....

fissioneng
06-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Owners of boats understand entropy all too well....

And certainly Archimedes' Principle! Too much entropy can get you into trouble with Archimedes.

pmurphy
06-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Vincent-
Do you really have to rub it in like that about how great the inverter is?? Even after all the help you gave me I never pulled the trigger to get it done before the summer hit. Now I'm in the Bahamas for a few weeks and wishing every day that I would have got to it. I'm not happy with myself. Maybe when I get back......
Regards,

jim rosenthal
06-04-2014, 10:42 AM
But when you get back, you won't need it......

Vincentc
06-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Pat,
If it is any consolation, it took me about 6 months after buying the inverter to undertake to actually install it.

In addition, I am boating at home with an operational inverter, and you are in the Bahamas without one. I cannot feel sorry for you and if I were you, would be happy with where I was.

34Hatt
06-04-2014, 01:20 PM
I have my inverter bank on the port side and the inverter on the starboard. In between lies my autopilot compass although 3' forward. No other way to do it in this boat. The only problem is when the inverter gets a big load it takes a 10 degree turn to the right. I've learned to deal with it. I love my inverter too but but Mom always liked my Genset best.

I had the same problem except mine went Left ;)

I just moved the compass was easier problem Gone!

jim rosenthal
06-04-2014, 02:14 PM
"In addition, I am boating at home with an operational inverter, and you are in the Bahamas without one. I cannot feel sorry for you and if I were you, would be happy with where I was."

Ah, well said.

Timeout
08-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Vincent,

Where did you locate the inverter? I'm trying to determine where to put it and best location appears to be in the ER.

Thanks,

Vincentc
08-04-2014, 09:53 PM
The inverter and its battery bank are located in the engine room, port side aft, outside of the port stringer for the port engine. I built a plywood epoxy enclosure which provides air flow drawn low in the ER. Let me know if photos would be helpful.