PDA

View Full Version : KVH Issue

JLR
09-18-2013, 01:30 PM
I am having a problem with the KVH satellite system I have. I believe it is a 4 series and was new in 2006. If the TV's are not used for let's say two weeks or more, the KVH system (which is always left on) looses its lock on the satellites. If I power cycle the KVH, it regains its lock. It is not a Direct TV receiver issue as it happens on all receivers on board at the same time. I spoke with KVH and they never heard of this before. It is also not a sleep mode issue as the boat is in the water and moving in the slip. The choice seems to be to yank the antenna and ship it back for a minimum charge of $525 (not too bad) or replace the antenna with an M5 at a cost many times that. Likely not a multiswitch issue either. Any thoughts? Could be a winter project.

saltshaker
09-18-2013, 02:20 PM
I am having a problem with the KVH satellite system I have. I believe it is a 4 series and was new in 2006. If the TV's are not used for let's say two weeks or more, the KVH system (which is always left on) looses its lock on the satellites. If I power cycle the KVH, it regains its lock. It is not a Direct TV receiver issue as it happens on all receivers on board at the same time. I spoke with KVH and they never heard of this before. It is also not a sleep mode issue as the boat is in the water and moving in the slip. The choice seems to be to yank the antenna and ship it back for a minimum charge of $525 (not too bad) or replace the antenna with an M5 at a cost many times that. Likely not a multiswitch issue either. Any thoughts? Could be a winter project.
I believe my neighbor has the same issue. His looses lock and then the antenna keeps moving trying to acquire a signal. I heard it cycling one morning and thought it was something on my boat. He says it happens occasionally and rebooting the systems fixes it.

JLR
09-18-2013, 02:45 PM
I am going to have to have a KVH service rep come by and plug his computer into the unit to see if it something obvious. It is problematic because when it happens, I need to reboot each of the Direct TV receivers as well and that takes quite a while. Hope it is simple.

dastahl
09-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Couple of things . . .My dealings with KVH service seems to require excessive calls and make sure they write up a ticket. My M3 circa 2010 hunts for quite some time before it goes to sleep mode when the Dish TV box is turned off but the KVH box is on. I always try to turn off the KVH box when we are not using the TV. We only have one thought. It is a pain to restart the system but the KVH will wear out if left on all the time.
Skooch

Canuck Dennis
09-22-2013, 01:25 PM
We use a fixed dish setup when at our home port dock and keep the sat system turned off, the dish setup is inexpensive to install and even with our 15 ft tides it rarely loses signal, saves a lot of wear on the shipboard sat dish staying on.
One thing I was warned about, when underway always have the sat dish turned on as the dish does not lock if not seeking a sat and can swing quite a bit in a heavy weather which they do not like.

JLR
09-24-2013, 08:00 AM
KVH authorized service rep was unable to flash the G4 switchplate unless I was willing to assume the risk that by doing so, if it went bad in the flashing, I would need to replace the entire system. I was not. Numbers looked fine for what he saw on the antenna without the flash and, of course, when he called back to KVH, they blamed Direct TV for the issue. Why was I not surprised to hear that. So, a few hundred dollars and two hours wasted. Oh, but he did choose an alternative dish shape on the direct TV receiver claiming that might help. There has to be a better way.

seasalt
09-24-2013, 09:02 AM
My KVH C3 is not working and I am thinking about getting a Intellian I2 instead of another KVH. I must use Direct TV.

Anyone have experience with Intellian?

SKYCHENEY
09-24-2013, 09:58 AM
I have had my Intellian for 3 years now. Not one problem. Turn it on and it works.

seasalt
09-24-2013, 10:46 AM
I have been taking my third bedroom old standard Direct TV box to the boat. I understand that they are being phased out and I will get a new box.

I realize that KVH includes a 12v box and I assume that you have to pay Direct TV a monthly fee.

Does the Intellian use standard 110v boxes and will the new third bedroom box that I am going to get in the future from Direct TV work on the boat?

SKYCHENEY
09-24-2013, 03:09 PM
I set up my Intellian for Dish Network.

TopHattandTails
10-23-2013, 06:19 AM
Every once in a while a company stands up for their product and/ or customers by providing excellent customer service. This is a small thing that ocurred, but it was the right thing and deserves mention. For those of you who may be looking, now or in the future, for a sat tv antenna, check out Intellian. I bought, installed, and enjoyed my sat antenna (i2) this past winter and enjoyed it all summer. A week ago when the yard pulled my 53MY from the dock to the haul up yard, hauled and blocked inside the heated storage barn, they had to tilt down the hydraulic arch to fit her. The sat tv has to rest on its side with the arch now folded. I emailed Intellian and had an email back within 24 hours that indicated "it was fine as long as the boat would not move" but also included instructions for removal or packing.

Not a big thing, but it's nice that Intellian took the time to reply back, provide accurate and thoughtful instructions to an end user. No wonder this company has been successful here in the US so quickly.

Oh, and by the way the Intellian i2 was a breeze to hook up, works great, and didn't break the bank!

northshoreone
10-23-2013, 08:57 AM
My KVH does the same thing.....if I pull the plug on the main receiver it stops...a pain to have to do but it works for now. Sounds like I need to look into a change to Intellian..

sandspur1966
10-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Ditto

I had a KVH M3 installed in 2011 and wanted the HD so went with Dish Network.

Has been a PITA since the day I purchased it. This past spring I had the third "expert" working on it an the only way he could get it to work was install a hard switch next o the box to switch between receivers manually (so you can only watch one TV at a time)

About a month ago I lost half the channels and after 2, 3-hour tech support sessions, all they could advise me was that I should buy 3 new Direct TV receivers and that it was a DishNetwork issue... but I would lose the HD.

Sounds like an Intellian switch in my future as well.

JLR
10-25-2013, 04:22 PM
My KVH does the same thing.....if I pull the plug on the main receiver it stops...a pain to have to do but it works for now. Sounds like I need to look into a change to Intellian..

Still trying to fix this issue. What do you mean when you refer to the "main" receiver. I have five working receivers and they are all connected to a multi switch. When this happens, my fix is to turn the KVH system off for five minutes and then, unplug my receiver in the salon. However, when this does happen, it is not just my salon receiver that says searching for a satellite signal, it is all of them.

JLR
05-22-2017, 07:26 AM
This issue remains a problem. Since I can re-set it with a series of powering the antenna off, then on, powering the receiver off and then on, and occassionaly powering the multi switch off and then on, I am reluctant to spring for a new system. Is there any way to isolate whether this is a KVH issue, a Direct TV issue or a multi-switch issue? Since none of my TV's are HD, I have no need to upgrade to an HD system. So, replacing the system with let's say an M5 only gets me what I already have, less about 5K or so. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pascal
05-22-2017, 08:54 AM
I don't think the KVH dish knows or cares whether any receiver is on or off. At least that's how it s been with the ones I used, with standard 120v DIRECTV receivers. I believe the dish does the tracking and optimize signal on it s own. The receivers do not send any feedback to the dish

This means any loss of tracking is a dish problem. Over the years I ve had to reset them occasionally by powering the KVH off.

With multiple receivers there is a switch/splitter which takes the two signal cables from the dish and sends that each receiver. Could that be the source of the problem?

JLR
05-22-2017, 09:12 AM
Pascal - thanks. From what I can tell, there are several components of my system. Starting from the antenna, the signal goes down to some sort of box buried in my dinette and then to the multi switch in the ER and then to each receiver on the boat.After spending the last week or so at Sea Spray in the Bahamas, with the dock power going on and off at least once a day, I had some time to look at the system. When it was all powered down (with no power to the boat) and then back on, it seemed to reacquire the signal fine. After spending a month or so away from the boat in Jupiter, I would always have to go through the various power cycling to get the system back up and running. In the past, I have had a KVH rep on the boat who could not find the problem. I am loathe to deal with Direct TV or KVH for that matter. With that said, it may be easier to replace the components that are not KVH (like the multiswitch and the receiver) to see if that cures the problem. Just not sure which step to take next.

Pascal
05-22-2017, 09:34 AM
The KVHs I familiar with have two boxes. One is a grey box with a power switch and a serial port for service. This is it connected to the coax coming from the antenna

Then you have the distribution block which split the signal and sends it to the various receivers

If all your receivers loose signal then it s not a receiver issue, except maybe a configuration error although whenever I ve had a configuration/ dish setup error it either works or it doesn't

How is your KVH powered? The ones I be used are powered with an external 12v power supply but fed by a UPS (battery back for computers) this ensures stable voltage and also avoids a repeat when switching from shore to gen.

On the lazzara 84 i m running now, every sat receiver is also connected to a small battery back up. They're under $100 and saves you the 5' restart every time you switch power

PeterK
05-22-2017, 09:47 AM
I still do not have my issue resolved but all of my research indicates it is an issue with the SWM moddule. I have not had mine replaced so I can't swear to this being the resolution.

What I have found is I do not get the 771 signal loss error box on anything I record. My work around at this point is to record anthing I want to see and start waatching the recording a minute or so after the start. In essence I am watching everything on a 1 minute delay...

Not a very elegant work around but functional...

JLR
05-22-2017, 09:55 AM
The KVHs I familiar with have two boxes. One is a grey box with a power switch and a serial port for service. This is it connected to the coax coming from the antenna

Then you have the distribution block which split the signal and sends it to the various receivers

If all your receivers loose signal then it s not a receiver issue, except maybe a configuration error although whenever I ve had a configuration/ dish setup error it either works or it doesn't

How is your KVH powered? The ones I be used are powered with an external 12v power supply but fed by a UPS (battery back for computers) this ensures stable voltage and also avoids a repeat when switching from shore to gen.

On the lazzara 84 i m running now, every sat receiver is also connected to a small battery back up. They're under $100 and saves you the 5' restart every time you switch power

I know I have the serial port box because that is the one that is buried in the dinette. I do not know how the system is powered. I do have a toggle switch on the steps to the bridge that shuts down the antenna (and perhaps the entire system) which is what I use to reboot the antenna. IF I could eliminate the receivers as the problem, I would probably just go ahead and bite the bullet and replace the rest of the system. I just do not want to do so only to find out that the silly main receiver was the cause of the whole problem. Also, it seems odd to me that by shutting down power to the boat, and then back on, the system almost always reboots itself properly. That, to me, seems like some sort of data clog or memory issue but way beyond my ability to fix.

Pascal
05-22-2017, 11:00 AM
If a complete reboot fixes the issue, the next time it happens try shutting the power / disconnecting all the receivers but not the dish

If that fixes it, then it s not an issue with the dish. If not, turn off the dish and restart it. If that solves it chances are it s the dish or the distribution splitter Our multi switch / splitter has a 12vdc power supply which I haven't traced but is likely to be a 120v wall supply. If yours is similar you could also try rebooting it separately and see if it restarts.

My memory is a little vague on how the splitter works. From what I recall transponders have different polarity, horinzontal or vertical. So in multi receiver systems you have two coax going down to the splitter and I guess the splitter switches automatically depending on which transponder your receiver needs. Again, it s been a long time since i looked into the details The LNBs (actual antenna on the dish) are powered thru the coax either by the receiver when connected directly or by the switch I think it s an 18v feed

This is the multi witch / splitter we have

JLR
05-22-2017, 11:12 AM
Thanks. I spoke with the folks at Max Marine and their KVH guru does not seem to think it is a dish issue. Rather, he thinks it is more likely a receiver issue or even a multi-switch issue. Time will tell. He gave me the name of an outfit that sells the legacy receiver I need so I should not have to deal directly with Direct TV.

Pascal
05-22-2017, 12:36 PM
I d try resetting the switch only next time it happens

You can buy your own receivers but you ll still have to call DTV to activate them You can't just switch cards to the the new ones.

There is also a setting you have to change in new receivers to force them to look for non HD channels I spent an hour figuring it out when I installed new receivers a few months ago. It is in settings>display>preferences. Guide HD channels need ato be set to "hide HD channels"

If you leave it to show all channels it will default to HD when dialing a channel and won't work, I think it shows a 771 erro

JLR
05-22-2017, 01:04 PM
Thanks again for the help. I'll have to force myself to take this one slowly rather than just replacing the system. By the way, I was able to receive all of my usual channels, including local NY stations, in Hopetown.

Geoff58y
05-22-2017, 06:36 PM
If a complete reboot fixes the issue, the next time it happens try shutting the power / disconnecting all the receivers but not the dish

If that fixes it, then it s not an issue with the dish. If not, turn off the dish and restart it. If that solves it chances are it s the dish or the distribution splitter Our multi switch / splitter has a 12vdc power supply which I haven't traced but is likely to be a 120v wall supply. If yours is similar you could also try rebooting it separately and see if it restarts.

My memory is a little vague on how the splitter works. From what I recall transponders have different polarity, horinzontal or vertical. So in multi receiver systems you have two coax going down to the splitter and I guess the splitter switches automatically depending on which transponder your receiver needs. Again, it s been a long time since i looked into the details The LNBs (actual antenna on the dish) are powered thru the coax either by the receiver when connected directly or by the switch I think it s an 18v feed

This is the multi witch / splitter we have

A helpful tip: Cap all the unused inputs/outputs. We had similar issues and it turns out the unused ports allowed moisture and corrosion to start which, and i dont know why, caused degradation of the signals throughout the boat. Just my .02

Pascal
05-22-2017, 06:47 PM
Probably a good idea if the multi switch is installed in the ER. In our case it s in a carpeted air con'd closet where all the receivers and distribution system is set up

JLR
05-23-2017, 07:53 AM
Replacing the multiswitch would be a simple solution, indeed.

JLR
05-23-2017, 09:37 AM
I just spoke with the electronics fellow who did all the work on the boat while in Florida. He said to check the small gray box with the LED display when the system is not working properly and that will give a lead as to what the problem is. For example, he said if it says RF missing, it is likely the multiswitch. Sounds like a more informed way to begin than just throwing parts at it.

Capt Paul
05-25-2017, 09:59 AM
The KVHs I familiar with have two boxes. One is a grey box with a power switch and a serial port for service. This is it connected to the coax coming from the antenna Then you have the distribution block which split the signal and sends it to the various receivers If all your receivers loose signal then it s not a receiver issue, except maybe a configuration error although whenever I ve had a configuration/ dish setup error it either works or it doesn't How is your KVH powered? The ones I be used are powered with an external 12v power supply but fed by a UPS (battery back for computers) this ensures stable voltage and also avoids a repeat when switching from shore to gen. On the lazzara 84 i m running now, every sat receiver is also connected to a small battery back up. They're under $100 and saves you the 5' restart every time you switch power How does this battery backup work? Are the receivers 110 volt?

Fanfare
05-25-2017, 10:36 AM
I have an older KVH with a 24" dish, probably a Trackvision 6. It does not receive HD which is increasingly limiting what I can watch as satellite channels are upgraded. At some point I will have to upgrade but I am too cheap right now. Besides, we don't watch that much, especially since we are not allowed to receive the national network feeds. It has worked as far south as Georgetown, Great Exuma and all the way to Nova Scotia.

Mine runs through a small battery backup and surge protector made by APC. While this can only run the TV for 20 minutes or so it does prevent the dish from turning off when I switch from shore power to generator or vice versa or when shore power is interrupted as often happens. Otherwise it is about a 10 minute process for the dish to reboot and reacquire the signal, generally at a critical part of a show.

Being able to get the Weather Channel is perhaps the best part of having this system. Just wish the Infobabes would not stand over the part of the screen that shows the Bahamas or the Maritimes.

Pascal
05-25-2017, 10:38 AM
I think there maybe 12v receivers out there but most are 120v Office Depot sells them, under $100 depending on size. Double as surge suppressor for the tv. We have them on every receiver/tv

tonytrakovich
05-25-2017, 10:42 AM
Question for you. When the dish stops working, do you still hear it moving and searching for a satellite? Or does in stop moving? I had a similar issue. The dish would just stop searching and sit motionless. Had KVH techs out and didn't fix problem. I talked to a kvh tech on the phone that knew that dish inside and out. Very helpful. He said that some units had bad solder joints on the 2 fuses on the lower left side of the main board inside the dish. I pulled mine apart, piled the board and did not find this to be the case. Put it back together. Continued to unplug box to get it to work for almost a year. I found that I had to unplug the box more frequently as time went on. One day the dish was having a problem and I accidentally bumped the dish pretty hard. It turned on and started searching. Led me to start looking at connections in the dish. After a bunch of poking around I pulled the fuses and checked with multimeter. They showed good. When I moved the fuse to a different angle, the fuse went open. Looked at the thin wire in the fuse and found an intermittent connection. Replaced both fuses with new and the problem went away. I was shocked. Sorry for the long winded reply.

JLR
05-25-2017, 01:02 PM
Tony - thanks. Mine continues to search and it is readily apparent because I could hear it spinning. I had it looked at today with my Captain reading out the logic box info over the telephone to the electronics fellow in Jupiter. It seems pretty clear that the antenna is the problem. So, I decided today to go ahead and have a KVH TV 5 installed immediately. As a small consolation, I found out that there is a $500 rebate on the unit now so that helps a little. But, based on the advice here on the forum, I did not incur any needless diagnostic charges or start throwing new receivers and switches at it. I guess after 10 plus years, an upgrade was in order. And, rather than order the unit from an online retailer, I ordered it through my electronics fellow in Jupiter to avoid any finger pointing and actually saved some more money and future headaches doing it that way. I also like to support the local folks when I can.

ian w
05-25-2017, 03:45 PM
I purchased an Intellian i2 from west marine
A word of warning .It was only around$2000 BUT it does not receive HD channels.
I only found this out after contacting Itellian after installation
Ian w