PDA

View Full Version : Engine Surveyor Morehead City, NC area.

TommyB
09-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Afternoon all,
Need an Engine Surveyor in the Morehead City, NC area.

Engine Brand: Detroit Diesel
Year Built: 1991
Engine Model: 8v92

You guys know anyone good in that area. Joe Stafford did the last engine survey, but it's a little far for him to travel with all his tools :)

THanks

bobk
09-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Afternoon all,
Need an Engine Surveyor in the Morehead City, NC area.

Engine Brand: Detroit Diesel
Year Built: 1991
Engine Model: 8v92

You guys know anyone good in that area. Joe Stafford did the last engine survey, but it's a little far for him to travel with all his tools :)

THanks

A friend sent me this recommendation when I needed work in Southport. I can't comment on his surveying talents.

"The absolute best (in my opinion) Detroit Mechanic on the East Coast is John Crawford. He worked for Covington Diesel Marine division for 25 or 30 years, then went into business for himself when covington was bought out.
His # is 910 228 7392 "

Good Luck,
Bobk

GJH
09-04-2013, 02:13 PM
I can recommend Jim Oberci, who has his shop here in MHC and has done a lot of work on my 8v92's. An old schooler.

252-671-1455 mobile
252-244-2161 shop

There are still the original 2 stroke mechanics from Covington at Western Branch's local branch in the Jarrett Bay marine industrial park outside of Beaufort. Good reputation but no personal direct experience.
(252) 504-2299

Out of curiosity where is the boat and what is it?

TommyB
09-04-2013, 02:54 PM

1991, 52' Hatteras Cockpit Motor Yacht
1835 Total Time.
80 Hours Since Complete Overhaul by Tom Hug of Baltimore,MD.
Tom Hugg did a TOTAL REBUILD of both engines and transmissions. All new hoses, air seps, ect were added

Vessel is located in Morehead City,NC

GJH
09-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Geez, if Tom did the recent rebuild and you have all the receipts, I'd just have whoever you use do a general over view. Tom is The Man in my book, advise you give him a call and chat about the work, he is very articulate and provides great support; he did my survey up in Baltimore and some miscellaneous work for me. Jim O is cut out of the same cloth, by the way.

I should have been more specific, where in Morehead City? We are based there. in the Yacht Basin, and I am not familiar with the boat in question. Let me know if we can help at all, a couple of other forum members are based in MHC too.

TommyB
09-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Geez, if Tom did the recent rebuild and you have all the receipts, I'd just have whoever you use do a general over view. Tom is The Man in my book, advise you give him a call and chat about the work, he is very articulate and provides great support; he did my survey up in Baltimore and some miscellaneous work for me. Jim O is cut out of the same cloth, by the way.

I should have been more specific, where in Morehead City? We are based there. in the Yacht Basin, and I am not familiar with the boat in question. Let me know if we can help at all, a couple of other forum members are based in MHC too.

Thanks!!
Located Spooners Creek Marina

saltshaker
09-04-2013, 08:40 PM
What happened to the 52 w the Qsm11s? I'm pretty sure Bob Ross takes care of the 52 at Spooners Creek. I know he ran the boat afew times. They were in the slip next to me for a while. Very nice clean boat.

TommyB
09-04-2013, 08:50 PM
What happened to the 52 w the Qsm11s? I'm pretty sure Bob Ross takes care of the 52 at Spooners Creek. I know he ran the boat afew times. They were in the slip next to me for a while. Very nice clean boat.

The 52 with the QMS11 was very nice engines. Joe/Blake/Broker loved the engines but --
Had a lot other issues and the owner was stuck on X price and would not come down on price
nor was he going going to fix, so I walked.
But I did save him a ton of money by surveying the boat and finding a bad manifold that was still under warranty :)

Tim Powell
09-04-2013, 08:56 PM
I can recommend Jim Oberci, who has his shop here in MHC and has done a lot of work on my 8v92's. An old schooler.

252-671-1455 mobile
252-244-2161 shop

There are still the original 2 stroke mechanics from Covington at Western Branch's local branch in the Jarrett Bay marine industrial park outside of Beaufort. Good reputation but no personal direct experience.
(252) 504-2299

I will second Mr Jim a gentleman and very honest and faif
he works on my 892 /720 hp in a 52c
good luck Mr Jims partner in business for a long time was Kenny Hill 252-244-1543 he has a bad sholder and does not do heavy work. He will give the engines a work out and good survay will not go past the injectors will do compression test. My first choice is Jim time is mr Jims problem Good luck

TommyB
09-05-2013, 02:53 PM

Offer made and accepted.
Too bad I'm not there to enjoy the fun of even seeing the boat :)
Stuck at home with a wife that has a broken knee cap. Guess I'll fly up next week or so when we survey it.
Thanks for all the tips on who to call. Making some calls today for engine surveyor.

fortunebrass
09-06-2013, 05:34 AM
Hello Everybody.

I am new here from brass electrical components Company. We Provide Custom Word wide brass electrical components service as per client requirement. So if you have any question about brass electrical components are welcome.

Thanks.