PDA

View Full Version : What is best Diesel Stabilizer?

Passages
10-16-2005, 10:11 PM
Well the season is winding down. I'll be hauling in 2 more weeks. I have about 1/2 full diesel tanks and am looking for suggestions on the best Diesel stabilizer.

The forum seach function would only turn up "Diesel Kleen" but that is more for boosting cetane levels.

I was wondering if there is something specificly designed for diesel stabilization during the winter nap?

Suggestions?

Fat Boy
10-16-2005, 10:34 PM
I use the Stanadyne performance and have been very pleased with the results. Here is the website: http://www.stanadyne.com/new/index.asp.

Traveler 45C
10-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Pri-D is a stabilizer, I believe…

Liquid Asset
10-18-2005, 04:53 PM
I have been using Cal-5 with successful results.

Genesis
10-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Racor makes a good one, but for "bang for the buck" you cannot beat PowerService. It can be found at Walmart - you want the GRAY, not WHITE, bottle.

Use it in the "double dose" strength - one large bottle for every 150 gallons of fuel. That will also give you 6 numbers of cetane improvement.

Traveler 45C
10-19-2005, 09:59 AM
I think I finally have this figured out!:D

It appears to me that PowerService Diesel Kleen is more of a Cetane booster and injector cleaner- http://www.powerservice.com/dieselkleen_cetane.asp (http://www.powerservice.com/dieselkleen_cetane.asp)

And Pri-D is more of a fuel stabilizer- http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php/cPath/42_232/products_id/1055 (http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php/cPath/42_232/products_id/1055)

Perhaps using Pri-D would be wise going into storage to keep the tanks free of sludge. Add Diesel Kleen when coming out to boost Cetane if necessary…

Genesis
10-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Marketing differences...... :D

Traveler 45C
10-19-2005, 10:11 AM
You think? They both look and smell different than each other. :confused:

Passages
10-19-2005, 10:14 AM
What are the symptoms of degraded cetane level?

If I have to listen for engine knock - I'll never hear it with my noisy 6-71's.

MikeP
10-19-2005, 10:39 AM
I have never used it for this purpose but I have heard many diesel old-timers (some of them younger than me :( ) swear by Marvel Mystery Oil for this purpose.

I've used MMO for a variety of things and it's unfortunate that it is frequently lumped into the junk products that claim to do everything from increasing fuel mileage to curing baldness. I don't know if it's useful for storage but I'll guarantee that if you put it in the fuel system, it will certainly loosen any and all deposits!

Genesis
10-19-2005, 10:41 AM
You think? They both look and smell different than each other. :confused:

Yes, I do think.

Diesel Kleen is more dilute.

Take any of these products, put them in an open vial, and allow the solvents to evaporate.

See what 'ya got left. You'll notice something interesting - they all seem pretty much the same once the solvents are gone.....

I've used a number of these not only in my boat, but in my diesel car (Jetta). To do so I have to carry around a funnel and a ziploc bag to keep the funnel in, so it doesn't make a huge mess in the trunk space.

What I have found is that no matter which product I use, the residue I find in the ziploc after each product has been used for a while is identical in consistency, smell and appearance.

Is it identical? Almost certainly not - but as to whether it will produce the same effects, I think so....

I've stored over the winter with DieselKleen, Pri-D and Racor's fuel conditioner. I have noted no difference in the result with any of the three. There was a time when I could get the RACOR product by the case on BoatDiesel's web site at an EXTREMELY attractive price. This is no longer the case.

Low cetane makes fuel harder to ignite; it burns less cleanly and more slowly, and contributes to more "diesel knock". The effect is most notable on starting.

BTW, the comment on MMO is not a bad one either. MMO is basically a high-detergent 10W oil. It is not a stabilizer, but it will clean up your fuel system. I usually dump a bottle into each (full) fuel tank in the spring to clean out the crud, then change the filters after I've burned that tank. Note that I would not use MMO in any common-rail engine - but in older technology motors with either regular injection pumps or a unit-injector engine - e.g. Detroits - it burns fine and does a good job of cleaning the fuel system up.

I like and will use all three of the above (PRI-D, DieselKleen and Racor's product) and have tried Stanadyne's as well. Stanadyne's issue, along with PRI-Ds, tends to be cost. RACOR's product was available at a nice price off BoatDiesel by the case, which made it the "easy choice" for a while. This is no longer true.

BTW DieselKleen makes an excellent "online" injector cleaner. Fill your fuel filters with it when you change them. I've also removed both suction and return lines and placed them into a container full of DieselKleen and run the engine on it "straight" for a while to clean injectors (at idle of course) - that works quite well also.

Traveler 45C
10-19-2005, 10:46 AM
So much for having this stuff figured out…:(

Geoff58yf
11-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Yes, I do think.

Diesel Kleen is more dilute.

BTW DieselKleen makes an excellent "online" injector cleaner. Fill your fuel filters with it when you change them. I've also removed both suction and return lines and placed them into a container full of DieselKleen and run the engine on it "straight" for a while to clean injectors (at idle of course) - that works quite well also.

Hi Genesis,
Ive purchased my "winter fuel supplies" and am going to change the filters this weekend before a 6hr cruise, but wanted to know if in fact it is OK to run straight Diesel Kleen (ie filling the filter chambers with it vs fuel) through my 871-tis without harm. Should I dilute it with fuel?
Also just completed reflooring the old parque teak with a products called LONSEAL. Looks terrific, easy to use. Ill post before and after pix in a day or so.
thanks for all your terrific advice and for sharing your knowledge. Should the day ever come that I cant find something to fix on our 58yf (yeah, right!)all I need to do is look here for 5 minutes and Im busy for another month!! :D
Geoff
Kemosabe 78 58YF

Genesis
11-09-2005, 08:12 PM
No problem with the straight stuff at all. I do this regularly when I change filters. Indeed, I've run the engines for about 20 minutes off a small pail full of the stuff with both suction and return lines stuck down into the pail as a quick and easy way to clean the injectors up in the spring while at fast idle at the dock.

newinlet
11-10-2005, 06:50 AM
I use a product called Howes Lubricator diesel treatment
works nice on my 671 - 1-800-GET-HOWES - I have noticed enhanced performance with this product, I never have had any water or contamination problems, My boat only has stock detroit filters.