PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Water Head Feed Failure

JLR
07-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Three out of the four heads on board are fed by fresh water. We had a failure the other day which continues to underscore the need to never be connected to dockside water when not on the boat. The solenoid that is supposed to close to stop the fresh water (pressure side) feed to the head stuck in the open position. So, the fresh water kept filling the bowl and overflowing onto the floor and would have continued to do that until the dockside water was shut off. Fortunately, we were aboard at the time. While there is also a ball valve to shut off the feed to this head, so that it could be isolated and we could continue to use the dockside water hookup, I will obviously be replacing the other three shut off solenoids just as soon as I can. Alternatively, I could re plumb the fresh water feed to each of these heads so that the Galley Maid head pump pumps the water in rather than the pressure water side of the boat. That sounds like a much bigger job. Just a word of caution to those listening.

MikeP
07-08-2013, 05:39 PM
As you pointed out, it again clearly demonstrates the potential problem for leaving external FW attached.

It's been pointed out that the bilge pumps will (should) easily keep up with such a failure. Although true - the pumps should keep the boat from sinking- but unless the failure actually occurs in the bilge area, the water has to drain from where the failure occurred to the bilge. All the carpeting, wood, electrical wiring, etc in the way will pay the price. There are far more failure points throughout the boat than there are in the bilges.

Hope you get it sorted out quickly and relatively painlessly.

JLR
07-09-2013, 08:35 AM
All sorted out on the spot. Gave the solenoid a good shake and it seated just fine. However, I do intend to replace them all with new ones.

SeaEric
07-09-2013, 09:33 AM
I have recent experience on this. Same issue and a new solenoid valve made no difference. We then figured out that there was some small crud in the FW system that was preventing proper seating of the closed valve. We added an inline filter to the supply side of the FW feed.

saltshaker
07-09-2013, 11:12 AM
As I was leaving the boat yesterday, I noticed 5 boats that had the water on and the owner's had left on Sunday evening. All boats were in the 60ft range and one of them was leaking at the boat connection.

JLR
07-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the tip.

Plan B2
07-09-2013, 02:35 PM
This is my first boat with dock side FW supply. All previous boat were 100% dependant on tank supplied water. I must say the consistant pressures from dock side is a plus, but I put disconnect water supply at the top of the departure check list and I still wonder about it on each trip to the house.

davidwigler
07-09-2013, 04:18 PM
It's been pointed out that the bilge pumps will (should) easily keep up with such a failure. Although true - the pumps should keep the boat from sinking- but unless the failure actually occurs in the bilge area, the water has to drain from where the failure occurred to the bilge. All the carpeting, wood, electrical wiring, etc in the way will pay the price. There are far more failure points throughout the boat than there are in the bilges.

True, but carpeting, wood, and other interior finishes are all at risk from plumbing leaks in your land-based home. Sinking is the only additional risk of dock water in a floating vessel and the bilge pumps powered by batteries connected to a shorepower-fed charger should easily handle that additional risk.

That said, I do disconnect the water line when I leave the boat for more than a night or two. I never thought to shut off the water supply when I left the house for a vacation.

GJH
07-09-2013, 06:01 PM
When living aboard, we always use the dock water, shutting it off and disconnecting at the boat as well if going away for a long time, plus turn off the pumps if we remember. It does amuse me a little if that's the right word, that people get all worked up about shore water yet leave the boat connected and hot to shore power, every bit as much or more a boat killer as fresh water ever was.

We had two separate occasions in two different houses where second floor toilets failed and poured water through the ceiling below. I swear I have spent <10% of the time working on my three VacuFlush heads than I did on land based toilets.

MikeP
07-09-2013, 08:02 PM
"I never thought to shut off the water supply when I left the house for a vacation."

We have always shut off the house water on vacation for exactly the reasons you mentioned - I don't like to come back to surprises. Many years ago we returned to find the entire ground floor "destroyed" because the hot water heater had developed a leak and the city water kept trying to fill the broken tank.

Angela
07-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Mike, you can have surprises even if you shut off the water. I came home after being away for about three months and found a grotto in my finished basement. The sump pump fell asleep. Sometimes, Murphy doesn't care whether you've turned the water off or not. :)

The irony....guess why I hadn't been home in 3 months....A BOAT (the first "Sanctuary")! I only flew home that weekend just to check on things since I had been gone for so long.

mdshore
07-09-2013, 11:45 PM
this is why insurance is a good thing to have. :o