PDA

View Full Version : Batteries on 1978 53' Motor Yacht

enamorada
06-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Hello All ~

This is my first time on the forum. It looks like a great place to gather information on Hatteras. We are looking to purchase our first Hatteras. It is a 1978 53' Motoryacht. We have not been on board yet but have had some conversation with the owner. They have not used the boat in over 2 years so we suspect the batteries are dead. Anyone out there that can tell me how many batteries are on board and where they may be located? We would need to get the boat to at least run to test engines and make it to the haul out yard for survey.

Thanks!

magnawake
06-03-2013, 02:11 PM
You never know about the batteries. They prolly have a charger connected and have been trickle charging them, which is a good thing. If the boat is on the hard without electricity, then they might be dead. If I owned a boat in the water, even though I didnt run the engines, I would make double dog sure the batteries are good enough to power my bilge pumps. That will keep the boat floating. You prolly have (2) 8D size batteries for each engine. They should be pretty close to the engine and hard to miss. I bet you a 53' owner will tell you real fast where the are located. Seems like the seller needs to make sure to boat at least runs before people come a kickin the tires. If I were buying a boat, the first thing I would do is get the engines surveyed. A good mechanic can look and listen to the engines at the dock and tell you if its worth your time to haul out and go for a sea trial. I would be concerned about the engines first. But thats just me. Keep us posted.

davidwigler
06-03-2013, 02:16 PM
If original, the 53 will have two 32 volt banks of four 8 volt batteries each and they are located in the generator space under the galley.

SereneWarrior
06-03-2013, 02:17 PM
The battery banks for this boat are underneath the galley in the generator room. If the boat is original, they will be organized in two banks of four batteries each. One bank support each engine starting and either can support the house load. If the boat has been plugged in and the batteries have been maintained with the proper fluid levels, they may be OK. A lot will depend on the age of the batteries. However, if the boat has been unplugged for 2 years and there has been no maintenance performed, my bet is that they are likely in poor shape and you'll end up buying new ones. I went through that process after purchasing my 53MY and nursing sick/worn/abused batteries for a year. There are a number of options for replacements and you can do a search on this site for lots of discussions on all of them. Good luck!

MikeP
06-03-2013, 02:36 PM
As noted, the batts are located as described in previous posts. Your batts could be fine or they could be toast. I wouldn't assume either though assuming "toast" is probably safer. It's easy enough to check them out when the time comes to get serious about making an offer. Needing new batts is not something I would consider at all as far as whether or not to purchase the boat though if the batts need replacing it could be a bit of a negotiation item.

8 new non-Rolls 8V batts can be purchased for under 2000 bucks (I paid about $1700 three years ago). Rolls batts have the potential to last far longer but they are somewhat more expensive. The original Rolls/Surette batts in our 1980 Hatt lasted 15+ years. Three sets of lesser batts have been in the boat since them - a total of 13 years so far.

GJH
06-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Mike, I thought you had switched to all 8v195s? Did you replace those with Rolls? And where did you get Rolls 8 volts and in what size for 1700 for EIGHT? I paid 2000 two or three years ago, the very best price I could find on the east coast, for FOUR 8HHG25's, which was the size called for on my boat. I have 8v195s over on the starboard starting bak size, which were in the low twos each three years ago.

Pascal
06-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Welcome.

the big question is how to define "not used"

If the boat has been sitting in the water for the past two year, maintained, hook to shore power and engines/gensets run occasionally, the batteries should be fine assume they Re not too old. Most batteries last about 5 years on average. Indeed as mike and others explained, there should be two banks of 4 8 volt batteries. Do not confuse 8 volt with 8D, as 8 D is a size indicator for 12 volt batteries.

Over the years many boats have been modified and one popular change is to switch to 8 volt golf cart batteries which Although a smaller than the originals perform very well on these boats. 8volt Golf cart batteries run about $120 a piece, although keep in mind battery prices have been going up, and up and up and up, faster than everything else in the past few years.

Now, if the boat has been sitting unused, unplugged and not maintained for the past two years, the batteries are the least of your concerns... Expect most systems to take some work to revive, not just engines, but air con, pumps, etc... Before even spending a dime on haul out and survey, make sure the boat is even worth surveying by doing a sea trial / shakedown.

It all depends on the boat history.

Robby
06-03-2013, 03:39 PM
As noted, the batts are located as described in previous posts. Your batts could be fine or they could be toast. I wouldn't assume either though assuming "toast" is probably safer. It's easy enough to check them out when the time comes to get serious about making an offer. Needing new batts is not something I would consider at all as far as whether or not to purchase the boat though if the batts need replacing it could be a bit of a negotiation item.

8 new non-Rolls 8V batts can be purchased for under 2000 bucks (I paid about $1700 three years ago). Rolls batts have the potential to last far longer but they are somewhat more expensive. The original Rolls/Surette batts in our 1980 Hatt lasted 15+ years. Three sets of lesser batts have been in the boat since them - a total of 13 years so far.Bren and I replaced all of ours this year International 8Ds ran us about $225 each but I have a friend who is a dealer.

SKYCHENEY
06-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Bren and I replaced all of ours this year International 8Ds ran us about $225 each but I have a friend who is a dealer.

8D's are 12 volt batteries and they are easy to come by with many manufacturers and competition among them. But, the 8 volt batteries required on the larger vintage Hatts are much more difficult to source and are much more expensive. We're talking about 2 different things here.

rsmith
06-03-2013, 05:36 PM
If you can find Rolls for $2k for 8 you better buy all you can. Last set of Decca's I bought cost me $2200 including tax tags and all the enviro waco BS and I had to put them in myself.

Boatsb
06-03-2013, 05:50 PM
The correct battery is the 819. The 8v195 is not the original battery and has its shortcomings.

if the owner wants to sell the boat it should be running.

magnawake
06-03-2013, 06:23 PM
My Bad on saying 8D. I'm glad I only just have a little 12V system. Knowing what I've learned in the last 2 1/2 years, and being a new HOFer and all, I'm would be scared of a boat thats been sitting around for two years with nothing running or maintenance performed. Well, its a good thing he's got the HOF to read. But then, there's having the time to actually work on everything. I'm too impatient.

GJH
06-03-2013, 07:54 PM
The correct battery is the 819. The 8v195 is not the original battery and has its shortcomings.

Yes the 819 form factor such as the Rolls 25 is the right battery. 3+ years ago I stuck some 8v195s over on my starboard side, which on my boat just starts the engine there and powers the system monitor, based on some recommendations here, especially Mike's, though I knew it was cheating so to speak. They are a smaller, lighter battery. So far I have gotten away with it and the boat gets used year around, they spin that engine very nicely. When it came to replacing the house/port starting bank, I went with the best at double the price and haven't regretted it. If the 195's poop out, i would consider replacing them with the smaller Rolls at 230 vs 275 AH,and have ample cranking power. That doesn't seem to be on the horizon just yet.

MikeP
06-03-2013, 08:28 PM
"Mike, I thought you had switched to all 8v195s? Did you replace those with Rolls?"

I did switch 3+ years ago to 8V195s; I did not replace them with Rolls - sorry if my post was unclear.

The 8V195s are doing fine so far. The 819s that the PO installed (twice) lasted approximately 5 years for each set. In 2010, when I needed a new set, I had planned to install new 819s but the local batt supplier (Pasco in Easton, MD) recommended the 8V195s over the 819s which they also stock/sell. I had never heard of the 195s until then. Since Pasco supplies an awful lot of the marine-use batts in this area and seem to know what they're doing, I decided to give the 195s a try.

I'll let you know in 2015 how they compare with the 819s service-wise. ;)

TopHattandTails
06-03-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm replacing my 4th set of 819's now. They last 5 years each, religiously... This bank was last replaced August 2007. As of today, Dekka will run you $368 per battery. The Crowns (lessor quality) will run you $611.62 each (no typo)! No idea what the Rolls will run... The best money spent is to have the yard pull and replace. Saves the back and your done in 4 hours.

TopHattandTails
06-03-2013, 08:59 PM
They should have been done last fall, but I pulled the boat in October and couldn't see replacing on the way out...

kwerges
06-04-2013, 12:08 AM
We have a 1978 58YF, so should be similar operations layout. We have 15 different batteries on our boat, to include the 8 starting/house batteries, as well as 4 6v batteries for the 12v inverter, 2 12v batteries for 12v house batteries, and 1 12v starter battery for the generator. Trust me when I say 8v batteries for $2,000 is a deal. I paid $400 a piece for U.S. Battery 8v batteries, and then made the bright decision to remove the old ones and install the new ones myself. 168 lbs each approximately 3 feet below the galley floor inside the generator room. Dumbest thing I've done in a while...

GJH
06-04-2013, 07:11 AM
I'm replacing my 4th set of 819's now. They last 5 years each, religiously... This bank was last replaced August 2007. As of today, Dekka will run you $368 per battery. The Crowns (lessor quality) will run you $611.62 each (no typo)! No idea what the Rolls will run... The best money spent is to have the yard pull and replace. Saves the back and your done in 4 hours.

If you haven't bought the batteries yet try calling DC Battery in Miami or Rae storage in Connecticut for a quote on Rolls and others.

As for the Dekas, sometimes the local Batteries Plus franchise can get a deal for you, though that price sounds about what I was quoted at mine for 819s, one of the reasons I went just went ahead and spent more for the Rolls. Too soon to tell if that was the right decision. I always pay some young weightlifter/ football player types to do my battery installs, goes fast and everyone's happy.

Robby
06-04-2013, 09:24 AM
8D's are 12 volt batteries and they are easy to come by with many manufacturers and competition among them. But, the 8 volt batteries required on the larger vintage Hatts are much more difficult to source and are much more expensive. We're talking about 2 different things here.Its nice to have a 12V boat .I know they are different.

rsmith
06-04-2013, 01:46 PM
The couple times I had the batt change done by someone else it took me longer to fix the damage they did than it would have to do it myself. After 37 years I have a system of planks rollers and hoist so I don't have to pop a nut to get them in and out. And mine are outboard of the mains which is a real PITA.

saltshaker
06-04-2013, 02:33 PM
The couple times I had the batt change done by someone else it took me longer to fix the damage they did than it would have to do it myself. After 37 years I have a system of planks rollers and hoist so I don't have to pop a nut to get them in and out. And mine are outboard of the mains which is a real PITA.
I'm replacing 2 8D's this weekend. Both banks are outboard the mains. Plenty of room but as you said, a real PITA to hump over the exhaust and into place. I have a great mechanic who can get me batteries for a lot less than I can. I don't mind paying his helpers to hump the old ones out and the new ones in. No idea how much it'll cost but I know he'll do a good job and the price will be more than fair. I told him to order them and do it. It's one of those jobs I rather not do myself. On my boat you really do need a second set of hands with a strong back.

captainwjm
06-04-2013, 04:45 PM
On my boat you really do need a second set of hands with a strong back.

There seem to be more and more of these jobs as I get older. :-)

bigbill
06-04-2013, 10:04 PM
as a buddy that was helping me change the 8 ds on my 46sf said..........this is a job for a strong back and a weak mind. nough said.