PDA

View Full Version : Need Square Halo Cabin Light Fixture - Please Help!!!

Hattabunga12
05-13-2013, 01:29 PM
I know this has been posted a few times before so I'll keep it brief. I have a 1987 36C and one of the overhead interior lights is missing.

It's a square 10" (I think) Halo with a chrome ring and glass lens. It mounts flush inside of a teak trim ring that is mounted in the headliner.

If anyone is doing a refit, or just happens to have one, I need the entire fixture. I will pay you immediately and appreciate any replies or help in advance.

Thanks,
Keith

Contessa
02-22-2023, 06:01 PM
Since the original post is now a decade old... I hope you've found one. However, I am looking for the same/similar thing. I have a 1974 53' MY, and the square recessed light in the hallway down below is questionable at the moment (it looks original!!) and I'm looking for a replacement. So far, the closest thing I can find is this 8" Elco Square LED Retrofit Insertat the cansandfans website (I don't have enough posts to add a link, apparently).

But if anyone else can direct me to a good replacement, that would be great! Thanks.
Jennifer

SKYCHENEY
02-22-2023, 07:30 PM
OEM was a Capri fixture. They can sometimes be found on Ebay. I have also seen them listed here for sale many times when people decide to replace headliner and update fixtures.

SEVEN
02-22-2023, 11:57 PM
Is this the one you’re looking for? I have a friend that’s remodeling the entire inside of his 53. He’s looking to see if he still has one in his garage. Let me know if this is what you’re looking for and hopefully he still has one.

Bob Bradley
02-23-2023, 12:12 AM
I think I have a couple of the overhead light fixtures with the teak raised frame around them if that will help.

ageless
02-23-2023, 09:00 AM
I’m 99% sure I have an extra if it’s the same. Let us know what you’re working with, is it 32v?

Contessa
02-23-2023, 09:01 AM
Here are photos of mine I am looking to replace... No teak frame on this one (the ones in my stateroom do, however). I'm actually only looking to replace it because of a lighting project/issue that has gotten more complicated than expected (imagine that!).

I wanted to put this single light on a dimmer switch. I already successfully put the three (exact same) lights in the stateroom on a dimmer switch with dimmable LED bulbs. When this hallway light was unsuccessful, I wasn't sure if it was the switch or the bulb having an issue, even though they are both new. I put the original standard switch back on, and tried the LED bulb.. nothing. Then I tried three other different bulbs (all LED), and none of them worked! Only the original incandescent bulb is working. So I figured it must be the fixture itself. Testing it w/ the multimeter yields max 30v. I don't know if this is correct, and cannot find any technical info online for this specific light fixture.

I'm an amateur handy-woman so any ideas or advice would be helpful. Maybe it doesn't even need to be replaced and something else is the problem? Thanks!

Fanfare
02-23-2023, 10:11 AM
On my older boat this fixture is battery powered.

Contessa
02-23-2023, 10:39 AM
Well I figured out the problem. Running back and forth between the breaker panel and the hallway...yes, that light is DC powered...
Confusing because the switch it's connected to says "AC ONLY" on it, and other exact same light in that hallway are on AC as well as the stateroom lights.

So, you all did help me. Thank you.

Now I am off to find a DC compatible dimmer switch...

SEVEN
02-23-2023, 12:21 PM
Hatteras installed light switches that have a distinctive hard click if they are battery powered lights. If they aren’t easy no sound switch those are electric. That is from the factory and have not been changed in mind.

SKYCHENEY
02-23-2023, 07:44 PM
Those fixtures were used for all voltages, 12, 24, 32, 120. The fixture itself does not care what voltage is supplied. Just the bulb is different.

Bob Bradley
02-23-2023, 11:33 PM
Those fixtures were used for all voltages, 12, 24, 32, 120. The fixture itself does not care what voltage is supplied. Just the bulb is different.

How do it know?

SEVEN
02-23-2023, 11:48 PM
True the work for both but on mine if it’s a hard click to the light switch it’s wired for 32 volt. If it’s wired to 110 the switch is smooth with no click. I don’t need any labels on the switch plates.