PDA

View Full Version : Cats 3412e

chris piazza
02-19-2013, 06:51 AM
We just spent the last three days at the Miami show and are now looking at a 60C with 3412's. it's is showing 1600hrs on the mains. We are taking a sea trial from Miami to Fort Lauderdale today at 800am. I am not familiar with these engines, spoke with a few people who stated "that's not a lot of hours for those, they will go 5000hrs" they have had the 1000hr service I know I will get the complete service history from cat as well as order a survey. Just looking for general info as to reliability and performance

Chris

saltshaker
02-19-2013, 07:37 AM
We just spent the last three days at the Miami show and are now looking at a 60C with 3412's. it's is showing 1600hrs on the mains. We are taking a sea trial from Miami to Fort Lauderdale today at 800am. I am not familiar with these engines, spoke with a few people who stated "that's not a lot of hours for those, they will go 5000hrs" they have had the 1000hr service I know I will get the complete service history from cat as well as order a survey. Just looking for general info as to reliability and performance

Chris

One of the best marine engines Cat built. Near bullet proof in the 1300hp-1450hp range. You'll be amazed at the performance and economy you'll get with them compared to a similar hp 16V92. 5000hrs is not that much for them if cared for. At 1600hrs, they're just broken in. Check prices for the required services, I believe the 2000hr service is a pricey one but can't remember how much. Good luck and keep us posted. The 60C is one of the best hulls Hatt made. That's the same hull the 54C and 55C ride on.

Pascal
02-19-2013, 08:36 AM
We have 3412Es (2002 vintage with close to 4000hrs) in the Johnson 70 I run Great engine... While most of the hours are easy hull speed hours they have been trouble free.

Service costs are as low as it gets... The 1000 hr service which include valve adjustment was around $4000 for both. We did the 3000 last year and it was about the same. They start clean with a small puff when cold which clears in 2 or 3 seconds even like yesterday in cold (by so fl standards) 49 degrees. No soot ever on the transom, no smoke on acceleration either.

Surveyor will be able to read the ECUs and tell you about how they were used

chris piazza
02-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Ok thanks guys, running a little late getting there thanks to this damn Miami traffic. That's the information I was getting from just about everybody I talked with.

saltshaker
02-19-2013, 07:38 PM
So how was the sea trial/run to Ft Lauderdale? That's a great opportunity to get a real ride on a potential purchase. What year is she? There's a few nice ones out there that are priced right.

chris piazza
02-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Actually just got back, the boat ran perfect! No smoke, almost instant start, strong cruise at 28knts (supposed to top at 33knts but not attempted due to seas) ran from Miami to Fort Lauderdale. Seller is very motivated (don't they always say that) not ready to make the commitment yet as we are a little apart as to what my boat is worth and the broker taking it on trade and getting it to Miami. The owner is good with my offer on the 60' but miles apart on what my 53 is worth. Broker said he is going to have somebody look at it but due to Mi weather can't be sea trialed until 3rd week of April.

Chris
Ps the ride of a 60 is 2nd to none!

luckydave215
02-19-2013, 10:27 PM
While we absolutely love our 60C (especially in less than smooth conditions where she gets to really strut her stuff) I sure wish we had those 3412's (or C-32's:cool:) instead of the hot-rodded 12V-71's currently in our engine room.
C-32's at a reliable 1800 hp rating would be perfect. A "loafing engine" cruise of 25 knots is what I (and the hull shape) want, I don't care about WOT speed. Currently my top end is ~26 knots, the hull rides wonderfully at that speed.

Artzco
02-19-2013, 10:31 PM
What is the year? Pictures?

saltshaker
02-19-2013, 11:13 PM
I'm jealous! I love my 65EB but a 60C with 3412's would be a nice move for me. Good luck and keep us posted. Have you looked at any of the other 60C's out there? there are a few sweet ones.

SKYCHENEY
02-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Wow Chris! That sounds great.

I love the 60C as well. The ride is wonderful and the engine room is even better. Superb Boat!

chris piazza
02-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Actually we looked at a ton of boats at the show, Vikings Bertram Donzi and a few of the customs, but there was only a few used hatts. ALL of the new ones are way out of our budget! I basically only had three requirements when I came down here, one, it had to be a Hatteras, two enclosed bridge and three cockpit access to engine room. The boat we got serious about had two of the requirement but lacked the EB. After the deer in the headlights stare when you are looking at a new boat reality slows you down. I was looking at the numbers this morning, from what I offered on the 60 to what they said " maybe" the would entertain for my 53 on trade would be a little over 500k. Ouch! I know you can move the numbers back and forth, so much for the new boat, so much on the trade but what it boils down to is only 100k for my boat and they would get it down south to sell. I get that, they gotta make money on the deal but its almost an insult to me. So I think I will slow down take a breath, make an offer that I am comfortable with and put the ball back in there court.

Chris

saltshaker
02-20-2013, 09:06 AM
100K is pretty good for a trade and they need to move the boat South. That tells me there's room in the deal on the purchase side. Sounds like you are in the low $600K range which is about right if she's an '02-"03. I think you're right to try and work it a bit more in your favor. If not there are others and the enclosed bridge is well worth the extra effort and cash. What about selling your boat up there? Probably bring more cash and no relocation expenses.

chris piazza
02-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Exactly Jack, like I said you can play with the numbers both ways. My boat is currently listed, I know I got it priced a little high right now and I will bring it down a little but I won't give it away. I guess I just need a little more patience. It would certainly clear up the water going into a deal with cash in hand and no trade. I need to be a little careful what I say as the broker and seller are aware of this site. I give him my numbers and put it back on them.

Chris

RT46
02-20-2013, 09:46 AM
EB is the way to go....

jim rosenthal
02-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Especially up where he does his boating.....short season and cold weather and all that.