PDA

View Full Version : Replacing center windshield wiper shaft ???

Bill Root
11-13-2012, 08:24 AM
I have run into a problem replacing the wiper shaft assembly over the center windshield on BUFFALO GAL (54' MY). In a nutshell, there is not enough room between the back side of the pilot house wall where the shaft goes through, and the overhead plywood panel above the helm station to back the old shaft out. (If you have done this repair on a late 80's motor yacht you probably know exactly what I'm talking about). There are screws all around the forward edge of the overhead plywood panel, so I thought I could remove them and drop the panel down to provide enough room to back out the shaft assembly. However, after removing the screws I found that the panel is actually glued in place.

I have tried getting up behind the overhead panel through the drop-down electronics access hatch behind the overhead electronics panel and removing the screws from the inside frames. That didn't work either. Apparently Hatteras built that overhead assembly off boat, installed all the wiper and washer stuff, then screwed and glued the panel assembly in place. Thanks, Hatteras!

At this point, the only solution I can think of is to cut a hole in the overhead panel that will allow me to back that wiper shaft assembly out. I would need to make a cover plate for the hole. Of course, then I'll have to stare at that lousy cover plate when I'm running the boat. Has anyone out there done this job and found a better solution?

Thanks.

rwetherington
11-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Bill,

Call Bruce Morrison 252-670-8053 Bruce has done it more times than he would like to talk about. It was great seeing you and your wife at the show.

SKYCHENEY
11-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Bill,
My overhead came down once all of the screws were out. But, I also added an access door as I didn't have one before. If you need to cut a hole, use a Fein tool to start and try to get it square. You can reuse the piece that comes out and just put some trim around it like all of the other Hatteras access panels. You'll never notice it.

Bill Root
11-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Roger: I did talk to Bruce. He's the one who suggested cutting the hole. I'm just trying to avoid that, but it looks like I may ne be able to.

SKY: Thanks for responding. Why Hatteras decided to glue my panel in place is beyond me. If I can't find a better way I'm probably going to cut a round hole with a hole saw and make a cover out of a piece of afromosia I have left over from the project I did on TUCANDU. I can varnish that up so that it will match the panel. Make it easier for the next owner, too.

Bill Root
11-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Yesterday I tried my last idea. I put a small bottle jack up behind and slightly to one side of the wiper shaft. I thought I might be able to use the jack to push the overhead panel down just enough to get clearance to slide the old shaft out and get the new one in. I did manage to get enough of a bow in the panel to move the shaft back another half inch before it became apparent any more jacking was going to start to pull down the entire overhead instrument panel. Not enough to get the shaft out though.

I have given up trying to get that shaft out without cutting the panel. I'll cut a round hole (4" dia. will do it), then make a round cover plate out of a piece of 1/2" afromosia I have left over from a project on TUCANDU. Hopefully that will blend with the other trim pieces on the boat. Should also make it much easier for the next person who has to change that center wiper shaft.