PDA

View Full Version : Which Switch?

Capt. Tobb
09-17-2012, 11:31 AM
I am trying to make a new switch panel in my salon, I have an area where different switches have been added over the years. Some are for 12V items and some are 110V items. I would like to have matching switches, some of which need to be lighted. I have been searching and like the Carling contura series but I cant seem to get a straight answer on weather or not they come in AC and DC. Has anyone delt with this before? The DC are easy to find, but I cant seem to find matching AC. My knowledge of electrical is limited so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

SKYCHENEY
09-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Usually a switch is a switch. AC or DC doesn't matter as long as it's rated for the ampacity that is going to be going through it.

GJH
09-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Usually a switch is a switch. AC or DC doesn't matter as long as it's rated for the ampacity that is going to be going through it.

True, unless he needs a built in indicator light as noted.

Check out Blue Sea's website for a variety of options.

SKYCHENEY
09-17-2012, 03:10 PM
True, unless he needs a built in indicator light as noted.

Check out Blue Sea's website for a variety of options.

True. Sorry, I guess I missed the lighted requirement.

Trojan
09-18-2012, 10:15 PM
You didn't say what the lighting was going to indicate. You can always add seperate indicator lights. Lighted switches don't always have replacement bulbs. Switches with out lights are a lot cheaper and with the new mini LED lights you can have just about any color light you want.

Bill

Boatnut
09-19-2012, 02:05 AM
You will have to buy different switchs ones for DC, and ones for AC, if thee are to be illuminated. Last time I checked LEDs do not work very well on AC.

Capt. Tobb
09-20-2012, 09:32 PM
I am looking for an indicator light for when the device is in use. I think I will have to just have seperate switches and lights for AC and DC. Thank yall for the help.

Boatnut
09-21-2012, 01:23 AM
It is not the switches it's the lamp rating. What you did not tells us is what kind of switch do you prefer?

Capt. Tobb
09-22-2012, 08:00 AM
I like the Contura series by Carling.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/mtdelano74/switch_zps31f0ade4.jpg

If I were to get the 12V 20amp swithches and use one for my 110V blower system( less than 20amp) wired with a 110V indicator light would it work (in theory)?

I am thinking of a light like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/mtdelano74/indicatorlight_zpsf843702f.jpg

They have lights AC and DC that look identical and much cheaper to replace than the switch if they go out. If I can use the switches and lights everything should match. Thanks