PDA

View Full Version : And check those hose clamps...

MikeP
08-13-2005, 11:03 AM
While checking out the A/C, I saw that one of the hose clamps on the engine's airhorn-to-heat ex hose had snapped. Yep, it was just sitting there sprung open where it had broken at the screw. Hadn't touched it in months, hadn't run the engines in 2 weeks. It was not broken 2 days ago! Guess it just got tired! This was especially surprising in that I do not crank down on hose clamps so it wasn't dramatically tight - just tight enough to do the job.

Here's a clamp that sits out in the open air - no water around it or anything. Hmm.. what about the ones that are in less favorable locations...

Genesis
08-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Yep...

Check 'em every six months or so - put a screwdriver or hex driver on them and give them a snug-up. Better to find out this way than the other....

eze2bme
08-13-2005, 04:01 PM
I agree ... last year when I was corkscrewed down in the bilge checking the stuffing boxes I noticed that one of the two hose clamps on the port stuffing box had broken ... just like you ... right in two and wasn't that way a week before. I installed new clamps on BOTH of the stuffing boxes!
Much better SAFE than sorry!

SKYCHENEY
08-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Don't just look in the ER. Pull the hatches and check the clamps on the exhaust. Almost half of mine were loose and two had to be replaced due to corrosion. Probably should check the clamps on the bilge pumps and other drain hoses as well. Great, another project for my list. :)

double eagle
08-14-2005, 11:17 PM
FYI

I had a friend with a 58 long range that almost sunk because of the exhaust
clamps not being checked ...
most are just reg clamps...

what to do ...
change all the exhaust clamps to t style clamps with the bolt in them...
and use 2 on each end of the hose...
when I checked mine several were loose and some broken...they are in places you dont look at often and or are very hard to get to...
the water doesnt care when it starts to come in...CHECK AND FIX THEM THIS YR....
cheap insurance not to have that problem..
bill

Traveler 45C
08-15-2005, 02:36 PM
It is sooooo difficult to get to my exhaust clamps. My little kid will have to be the one to crawl in there; I don’t think I will fit. I wish there was better access for those.

Using the T-bolt clamps is a good idea. I might be able to reach them from above with a ratchet and a long extension handle.

Genesis
08-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Exhaust hose clamps suck severely on these boats. I had fiberglass itchies for a month after I changed my exhaust hoses, and much swearing was heard.

It IS possible to get to them - but tie line on your tools, because if you drop one in there you will NOT be able to get it back.