PDA

View Full Version : Battery coversion

Baskurt
11-09-2011, 04:32 AM
I am the owner of Viator, 54 Hatteras Motoryacht moored in Marmaris. She was built in 1985 and photographed for the brochure..

The battery system is 32 Volts.. At this part of thr world it is absolutely impossible to get replacement batteries. Some advise to convert the system into 24V.

HAS ANYONE MADE SUCH A CONVERSİON?

İf so, what is needed to be done?

İt will be very helpful to hear about this..

Best regards to all.
Baskurt Okaygun
İstanbul- Turkey

MikeP
11-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Baskurt - I cannot help you with the conversion itself though I'm sure someone here will be able to do so. I would think that nowadays getting the necessary 8 Volt batteries anywhere in the world would just be a matter of ordering them and paying for shipping. But I guess you have already looked into that.

We were in Istanbul two years ago for two weeks and my wife and I both commented on how neat it would be to have our 53MY Hatteras there! A truly fascinating city.

Baskurt
11-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Dear Mike,
Thank you very much for your kind comments.. I have owned several different make of boats or
motoryachts but I must say I have never felt so secure and comfortable any boat other than my
Hatteras 54..
I am attaching a photo of Viator shot at the beautiful Bay of Ekincik, opposite to the Greek Island of
Rhodos.

Best regards:)
Baskurt10910

GJH
11-09-2011, 12:36 PM
You might try contacting Rolls in Europe:

http://www.rolls-battery.com/content/specifications-railroad-flooded

Beckytek
11-09-2011, 02:37 PM
That picture is beautiful. It looks like you are in boat heaven. Who needs batteries in heaven?

SKYCHENEY
11-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Any conversion to another voltage would require new starters, alternators, fan motors, windlass motor, alarm panel, charger, inverter, light bulbs, etc. This is no small task. Finding the correct 8v batteries and having them shipped to you will be much easier and less costly than any conversion.

davidwigler
11-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Don't forget the electric heads, freshwater pump, bilge pumps, mascerator pump, maybe 12 volt converters, nav and anchor lights, flood/spot lights, perhaps engine senders and gauges and panel lights, hour meters, etc.

Baskurt
11-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks very much to everybody. Yes l think the best will be to source 8V batteries and enjoy the marine life as much as one can..
Kind regards
Baskurt

piripucha
11-11-2011, 01:49 PM
If in you part of the world is so difficult to get hold of 8v batteries you can install two 12volts and try to salvage at least one 8 volt batt. per bank (12 +12+8 =36) Or in a real pinch you could go to 36 volts. The system will not be perfect either way, because you will have new problems, such as undercharging in the 36v system , but it would be more cost effective than trying to convert to 24 or 12 volts.

Angela
11-11-2011, 03:27 PM
You cannot go 36v in a 32v system. Someone tried that in our boat just before we bought her. It never worked; the batteries would never fully charge and as a result and none of the 32v equipment would work without the generator running (in the absence of a shore power connection) to feed some power through the battery charger. The new 12v batteries that the previous owner's captain installed (making up a 36v bank) just before we bought the boat were destroyed in a very short period of time. We couldn't even use them somewhere else as they would not take a charge anymore. Our first big maintenance item on the boat was replacing all those 12v batteries with 8 volt batteries. So, don't waste your money, time, or effort trying to run your 32v system on a bank of 36v batteries. You won't be pleased with the outcome.

Mahalo
11-11-2011, 10:25 PM
I have recently converted my 1980 50 C from 32v to 24 v. I replaced many fans, chargers, inverters, pumps, etc.

I did leave some fans and pumps (bait pumps, for example) 32v and figure I will replace them at a later point.

I tracked down a 24 v GM windlass motor and swapped it out.

Although it was quite an ordeal, I am glad I did it.

Tom

Canuck Dennis
11-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Not sure if this is factual, but worth checking, I had heard that a customer bought 2-12 V Batts and a third he took to the battery shop and had 4 cells "killed" which left him with the 32 v package, this was apparently at a shop that could kill the cells without hurting the rest of the battery, never did find out if true, but, strange things can happen..

I think would be simpler to just order an 8 volt battery and then use the 2-12's.

SKYCHENEY
11-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Not sure if this is factual, but worth checking, I had heard that a customer bought 2-12 V Batts and a third he took to the battery shop and had 4 cells "killed" which left him with the 32 v package, this was apparently at a shop that could kill the cells without hurting the rest of the battery, never did find out if true, but, strange things can happen..

I think would be simpler to just order an 8 volt battery and then use the 2-12's.

The problem with using 2-12's and one 8v is that the cells have to be the same size. Most times those batteries would have plates of differing thickness. This would cause some cells to overcharge and some to undercharge and would not work out well.

Now, if you could unhook or "kill" some of the cells in the series as you stated. This would work as they would all match between batteries. I know Rolls makes batteries where individual cells are easily removed, but if you want Rolls, they already make 8v batts, so why bother messing with the 12v ones?

As I see it, most of these discussions about converting is usually because somebody doesn't want to spend the money required to buy the proper batteries in the first place. They are available as are the bulbs, motors, etc. to keep these boats running. My response is quit being a cheap a$$ and get the right batteries and be done with it.

The only reason I can see to convert to 12 or 24v is if you're repowering. Then it makes sense because the new engines will not be available in 32v.

Canuck Dennis
11-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Right on, I got all 32 v on my Vancouver boat and no battery problems, 6 yrs and counting with 8V golfcarts

piripucha
11-14-2011, 10:21 AM
OK lets get some perspective on the different advice regarding the 32v issue. Although I doubt that Turkey could be considered a third world country, we must remember that Hatteras are found all over the world. In some cases is not a question of money, but of availability of parts. Something so common as a 8v batteries may be unavailable so you have to adapt and improvise. I had a friend that in order to produce 32v he had to buy 3 12v batteries of the old type, those that have the lead bars that connect the cells and isolate the last one, so he could produce 32volts. At that time we thought he was nuts, because 8v batteries were commonly available. Nowadays we have to either follow his procedure, use 12+12+8 or send the old 8volts batt to be re manufacture. You may think that why don`t he buys 8v golf cart batteries? well gentlemen, down here in Venezuela ( nice country LOUSY government) we WALK when we play golf. Golf carts are as rare a as a honest politician.

Nonchalant1
11-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Baskurt,

Go through Rolls Europe and their UK distribution owner to find how to get Rolls batteries to you. Start with info@rolls-battery.com. They can last well over 10 years if taken care of correctly. Great batteries, even though expensive. Their current 8V correct size model may be 8HHG21P which is 21.25 in X 7.4 in X 11.2 in. which is shown in their 24 volt section. I'm sure it will be an expensive hassle to get the right batteries to you, but worth it.

Doug

You might try contacting Rolls in Europe:

http://www.rolls-battery.com/content/specifications-railroad-flooded