PDA

View Full Version : Going to look at a 45C. Anything I should be looking for?

Colbachlaw
11-05-2011, 12:25 PM
I have finally outgrown my 35' Bertram and I am looking at Hatt's and Vikings from the late 80's and early 90's. Flying to San Diego (no boats here in Portland, OR) to look at 45C next week.

Besides the obvious things, is there anything special I should be looking for in a 45C?

Obviously I would have a full boat and engine survey done if I decide to buy it.

Cruise speed with the 6v92's is listed at 22 knots. Is this realistic?

The boat is listed on yacthworld, but I can't post a link.

YW# 19624-2394474

Thanks,

Mike C

jim rosenthal
11-05-2011, 01:40 PM
You should look at the later 45C, the one built from 1985 through about 1993, I think. The early ones (45 and 46) only if they are fully done boats and knockouts. The later 45 hull is a better boat and there are no wood exterior parts, if I am right.

20-22 is probably realistic for 6-92s in decent shape. A few high-performance editions were fitted with 8-92s, but there are not as many of those. A far better alternative would be to find a Series II 45C which had been repowered with modern engines- perhaps there is one on the West Coast.

This is emphatically a buyers' market, so look at your leisure and find something that really suits you. Brisk bargaining is also the order of the day, and will be for quite a while. With yacht loans hard to obtain on older boats, and older boats valued at far less than they were, you should be able to find something you like that really suits you.

Also, with the price compression on older big boats, there are bargains on larger convertibles even than the one you are thinking about. But the service and running costs of those boats are proportionately larger as well, so don't buy more than you need just because it may be a bargain on a good boat. Buy just what will meet your needs and make you happy- most of these boats will need new engines in the foreseeable future, so don't let yourself in for costs you don't need later on.

saltshaker
11-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Here's the link.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2394474&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=19624&url=
I know prices on the West Coast a bit higher than the East but that is high for a 45C. You could buy an East Coast boat and ship it home for less money and you wouldn't have the expense of moving from San Diego.

The 45C is a good boat and I would stick with the newer styled '87 and up boats. If you don't mind a boat a few years older, I would look at a '82-'85 Hatteras 46HP. Much better layout, bigger ER, better performance and a much better ride. Prices are soft on these boats right now and there are some very good deals if you have cash. Stay away from the Vikings. They had significant stringer issues, are wet and have a very stiff ride. Quality doesn't come close to a Hatteras. The newer boats are a different story. Most post 2001 Viking are great boats.

Colbachlaw
11-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I am taking all the maintenance into account, as I know how expensive old boats can be. I am only looking at low hour boats that have fresh paint, as those are two pretty big expenses. I am lucky in that moorage is dirt cheap in my port, only $600 a year for a 50' slip.

I have looked into shipping and it is about $35K to ship a boat east to west and that is not to OR. The closest they get is MX or Canada, so either way it would be a long run home.

I am listening to all of your advice, so keep it coming.

Mike C

George
11-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Lots to look for, but if your really serious, check out mine. New paint, 1400 hours on C-12's nice interior. Here is the story attached.

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?9166-45-Major-refit-at-Jarrett-Bay-Boat-works

jim rosenthal
11-05-2011, 10:39 PM
I think you should buy locally and drive the hardest bargain you can. "My Girl" looks like a nice one, if she passes the usual stiff surveys. Do they have documentation of the engine rebuilds- they claim 100 hours, which would indicate majors, but as Karl once said, you don't want the engines which were just majored- you want the ones which were majored 200 hours ago and NOW pass a brisk survey by someone who is well acquainted with DDs. They all look great the day after they were installed. The more paperwork on the engines, the better.

I like that layout with the island queen and over/under bunks. I'd rather have that model Hatteras than any other, excepting my current one which is paid for. Good luck, it looks like a nice boat.

nor'easter
11-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I have never Ben. Aboard but have seen her from the water quite a few times. I have never seen her out of the slip, but I am a few marinas away and that likely means nothing. She looks as nice as the pics show from the exterior. I might be able to preview for you late this week if that is helpful. I have seen only one other series 2 for sale in so cal, and only a few series 1 s over the last 10 years. The last was a pre 87 series 2 that was on the the market a longtime. As said, I like the post 87 style, but the older 46 is a heck of a boat too.

Let me know if I can help.
Paul

nor'easter
11-05-2011, 11:19 PM
By the way, if you need a mechanic for survey, I know the folks to ask. Don't call the local dd dealer as they offer very inconsistent service and advice.

Colbachlaw
11-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the intel.

I will be stepping foot on her (and a 48' Viking, 50' Bert, & 47' Buddy) on Friday.

I can't wait to see these boats in person.

On a side note, what does a slip run in SD?

My wife loves SD and our season is so short up here that I am thinking about keeping a boat down south in SD or Cabo in the winter.

Thanks,

Mike C

worldsaway
11-06-2011, 12:49 AM
I have a 1989 45C that I have owned for the past 8 years. It is a great boat and I have been very happy with all aspects of the boat. I must say a 22kt cruise is a bit optimistic unless you are very light on fuel and water. I usually cruise at 1950-1975 rpm which is slightly over 20kts with normal load. My 692s have treated me fine but make sure you keep the cooling system clean, running them hot will kill them quick. Check the bow pulpit for water leaks into the deck core as this is common if it hasn't already been repaired.

The 46C is nice also but if you want improved performance you need the Hi-Perf version with the 892s which will give you that 22-23 kt cruise easily. That 50 Bertram is sweet and quite a bit larger with the wider beam. Good luck

saltshaker
11-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the intel.

I will be stepping foot on her (and a 48' Viking, 50' Bert, & 47' Buddy) on Friday.

I can't wait to see these boats in person.

On a side note, what does a slip run in SD?

My wife loves SD and our season is so short up here that I am thinking about keeping a boat down south in SD or Cabo in the winter.

Thanks,

Mike C

You can't compare the Hatt to the Viking or the Buddy Davis, they don't come close. The Viking is much bigger and will out perform the 45C. It is a beautiful boat but don't let that suck you in. They are fast but wet and very stiff. You won't like the ride when seas pick up over 3ft. They also have a serious problem with stringers rotting out. Check the stringers where the I beams are mounted. If there is any sagging don't waste your time. The engine stringers are the easiest to spot but if the other stringers are shot, there is no way to fix the problem without pulling the entire interior apart. If the stringers seem OK, make sure you have the transmissions checked out. That's how most find out the stringers are shot. The transmissions go from the misalignment. The Buddy Davis is a great looking boat but it's systems and build quality are mediocre at best. The hull construction and finish work is good but the rest is not so good. The Carolina flare makes for a much smaller interior than you would expect from a 47' boat. The companion way is too tight for my liking. The 50 Bertram is a great boat and in my opinion the best of the 4 you are looking at. Much more modern styling and that great Bertram ride. They do roll a bit at anchor or when drifting due to the deep V hull. The later boats with the master forward are a bit noisy to sleep in due to the water lapping against the hull. I would add the 46 Bertram to your list. The 8V92 boats are good performers.

jim rosenthal
11-06-2011, 03:07 PM
I don't think you want a Davis from that era- the company changed hands several times and poor old Buddy had a habit of going broke. The quality was not the best. Of the ones you've mentioned,the Hatteras is the best of the lot, all other things equal.

saltshaker
11-06-2011, 05:24 PM
I don't think you want a Davis from that era- the company changed hands several times and poor old Buddy had a habit of going broke. The quality was not the best. Of the ones you've mentioned,the Hatteras is the best of the lot, all other things equal.
Most of that started in the late '90's. The 47 was a decent boat. Time has proven she was not as good as many initially thought she was. Make sure the 47 Buddy Davis is not one of the first few hulls. The first 7 or 8 boats had cored bottoms. All the 47's have cored hull sides but they went to a solid bottom sometime into the first year of production.

nor'easter
11-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Mike,
Can't say I know any of the viking 48s around. Which 50 Bert arenyou looking at? Slips are much pricier here in sd given you post before. I pay about 850 a month for a 45 slip and pay for 48 ft as I hang out a few feet. National city and chula vista in south bay are cheaper but farther from the ocean. Not sure about mission bay, likely cheaper too.

Pm me if I can be of any help.
Paul