PDA

View Full Version : Rudder play

Diver Down
10-18-2011, 07:22 PM
While diving my boat last weekend I noticed that the starboard rudder had only about 1/2" of lateral (side-to-side) play at the trailing edge, but the port rudder had about 1.5" of play. Anyone know how the rudder is constructed, i.e. is it possible that the rudder post is a bit lose in the rudder? Or is the problem probably where the rudder post connects to the steering arm?

Boatsb
10-18-2011, 07:25 PM
You hope it's in the connection to the steering arm. If the post is loose in the rudder it's got to come out and thats just a PITA.

REBrueckner
10-19-2011, 07:38 AM
most likely it's loose at the linkage...is this cable or hydraulic steering. Could be the steering arm
is loose on the top of the rudder post. The few rudders I have seen are one piece...rudder and post
are cast as one piece. The post might also be loose in the packing gland....most likely it would be
leaking.

rsmith
10-19-2011, 07:52 AM
most likely the tie bar connections between the 2 rudders, the holes and bolts wear. Mine got sloppy a few years ago and I drilled them out and put in nylon bearing sleaves. They wear out after a while too but easy to replace. Make sure your rudders are not parrellel but kicked out a little on the trailing edges as it peloads the rudders and stops them from working.

sandspur1966
10-19-2011, 12:09 PM
My experience is that it is the plate that Hatteras built to tie both rudder posts to.

The bolts holding the linkage to the plate and the plate to the hull worked loose makingthe whole system loosey goosey and that movement made them prone to leak.

Bruce Morrison repaired mine and reaching out to him is somethig I always reccomend.

Diver Down
10-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks everybody for the feedback. Shawn, who is Bruce Morrison?

Nonchalant1
10-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Also check your rudder post top bearing. There is a bushing that hold the top of the rudder post which can get loose either from the bolts that hold it or from the frame that holds the bushing getting loose. All can be tightened up.

The big deal is whether there is side to side play of the rudder shaft in the main rudder bearings. If the boat is hauled, you can actually see if the rudder post moves too much in the bushing. As mentioned, replacing these is a PITA because they are a propshaft bushing cut to 1/2 length and hard to get out even after dropping the rudders. This is due to a rim on the top of the sleeve in the plate that holds them into the hull so you can't knock them out from the top. If these need to be replaced, start a new post here and I can supply pictures and instructions on the process.

Doug

sandspur1966
10-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Bruce Morrison is a former Hatteras tech with decades of experience starting on the line in the factory and ending up as a senior technician who traveled the globe troubleshooting and doing warranty work.

He has hung out his own shingle and has a business where he travels and works on boats remotely, including mine.

In well over 30 years of owning boats, I have never had a better experience. He is fair, unbelievably knowledgeable and completely forthright.

His website is:

http://www.brucemorrisonmarine.com/