PDA

View Full Version : Foolish idea? Mounting mechanical gauges in companionway walls?

davidwigler
09-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Just a thought, why not mount them at eye level in the walls of the companionway so they can be checked quickly without opening the doors to the engine rooms?

Fanfare
09-05-2011, 09:25 AM
1. I did not want the gauges sticking out into the already-narrow corridor.
2. I did not want to drill holes through the bulkheads of the engine rooms because it would go through the sound and temperature insulation within these walls. It's already hot and noisy enough.
3. I make frequent visual checks of the engines and generator room every 15 min. to hourly, going longer as our trip progresses. Most things break early. My ER gauges (Hobbs meter, coolant temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure going to the rack-can check on secondary filter this way) are just inside the front doors. I check them, then go over each engine with a flashlight for leaks, smoke, etc. Then the back doors, check back of engines and transmission, check shaft seals and Racors, look for water in bilge. I wear big green shooterphone ear protection, but even so I can listen for strange sounds. Since I do this anyway, why make more holes?
4. Guys think gauges look neat. Girls don't. 'Nuff said.

GJH
09-05-2011, 09:51 AM
I don't check as frequently as Jim, but otherwise am in the same camp. Mine are mounted in the fuse / electrical box on the ER aft bulkheads right by the rear door so are every easy to check along with the stuffing boxes, oil filter and turbo temps, raw water flow, Naiad temp and pressures, plus smells, sounds and visuals. Despite the gauge, I still shoot temps with IR gun, the old "trust but verify" thing.

The ease of doing ER checks while underway was one reason for us focusing our search on Hatt motoryachts, and this one courtesy of both Hatteras and various POs is particularly user friendly in that regard.

JLR
09-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Two other ideas--CCTV cameras on the gauges in the ER or a see through porthole type thing in the ER door.

saltshaker
09-07-2011, 09:27 AM
I prefer the gauges to be in the ER. As mentioned, you need to do periodic ER checks while under weigh. I also want the gauges plus start and stop switches in the ER for when I am doing engine work or maintenance. You have the gauges at the helm stations for monitoring. Putting them in the hallway would be no different.

jim rosenthal
09-07-2011, 11:16 AM
I agree with Jim and Jack. I think having the gauges out in the hall would keep you from looking in the engine room. There are a lot of things that can go wrong in there which won't show up on the gauges until it's too late. Better to be looking and listening- and checking the gauges.

SeaEric
09-07-2011, 01:16 PM
I like sticking my head in the ER. I get as much from smelling whats going on in there as looking.

dastahl
09-07-2011, 05:28 PM
You gotta go in there. Put your hand on each DD and feel the power (vibrations). Smell the smells (fuel dripping) and hear the sounds (thru head sets or ear plugs of course). And see the water squirting out of a hose. I hate the swell of anti-freeze. I can smell it as soon as I open the ER door.

Skooch
Sassafras River MD (Leaving Sept 15 for Baltimore inner Habor, then then Bahamas)

krush
09-07-2011, 08:48 PM
What's the point of helm gauges if you don't/can't trust them?

rsmith
09-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Whats the point? Like the watched pot that never boiles if somthing bad happens chances are you will not be looking at the gauges when that happens. Better to put a remote alarm below if you dont trust your helmsman. Infact I put in several remotes one in my stateroom after a guy I know drown when the boat sunk while he was sleeping.

MikeP
09-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Personally, I wouldn't move them but not for the same reasons that have been expressed. I will readily admit that I no longer regularly check the eng rooms. I start the mains from there at the first start of the day and maybe once during the day I'll check the manual gauges there but that's pretty much it. I don't open the hood of my car every few hours and I am as confident in those DDs and the NL genny as I am with the car. I usually do the same with the genny - the first start of the cruise from the E room but from then on I start it from the helm.

There are gauges at the helms and warning alarms. The helm gauges may not be totally accurate as far as their pressure readings but their relative indications are accurate. That's all I feel I really really need - to see if something is changing.

GJH
09-08-2011, 10:36 AM
I trust my helm gauges 99% of the time, and know the variation between them and the mechanicals. I have the 12 point system monitor which if anything alarms too easily, but alarms none the less.
Unlike my car, I have a lot of sea water coursing through the boat or trying to get in, nor is the car prone to sinking if something bad runs away. It is also not quite as easy to pull over and get help or tend to things. So I take two minutes every now and then when on an extended trip and see what's up.

saltshaker
09-08-2011, 11:05 AM
I peek in every time I go below for something. If I don't need to go below for a while, I'll take the time to do a visual inspection every few hours. Too much can go wrong to just keep running blindly. I also pick up the hatch to the lazerette to make sure there isn't any water. I know I have gauges, monitoring systems and indicator lights on the bilge pump switches, but seeing what is going on gives me peace of mind. Things can fail without notice or warning. Having easy access to the ER makes it a no brainer for me. Even when I had boats with a tighter ER I did the same.