PDA

View Full Version : The Deal is done!!!!!!!

JimmyB
08-10-2011, 01:12 PM
I have followed this forum for a few years and came witin a hair of becoming a Hatteras Owner. This Monday I completed a purchase of a pristine Mainship 390 in Louisiana.

We will rename it "Anticipation" and begin the move to The Wharf next week.

I posted a few years earlier on the Trawler site how I shudder when thinking about how little I knew thru 12 years of ownership of a 30' sportfisher.

Forums such as these provide a wealth of information, and in some cases entertainment. ( You know who you are ). I plan to continue to be a member of this site, and unless I am getting married that weekend, attend Rendezvous, I also hope to share some information with all of you.

Big Bill, Captain Tobb, Third Hatt, Mambeaux, Deckhand and others have personally helped me thru this process and I want to thank them. Unfortunately everyone is leaving The Wharf just as I am arriving.

Is it something I said?

We will be at Seabrook in N.O. from the 17th to the 21st with a bottom job starting on the 22nd. On the 29th we will head for The Wharf and will probably arrive by the 1st.

If you are in the neighborhood please stop by.

Carla and Jimmy

Hat52MY
08-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Congratulations, now the real fun begins....enjoy!

MikeP
08-10-2011, 06:46 PM
A 36 DC Mainship was our boat prior to our 53Hatt. It was a great boat and we owned it for 4 years. So I figure you'll be a Hatt owner by 2015! :)

Seriously, good luck.

jmencel
08-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Enjoy your new purchase !! The important things is just to be out in the water ....

z28jimi
08-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Congratulations. One of the great things I've found about this forum is that people won't look down their noses at you if you don't own the "right boat" (a Hatt). I've received a lot of good info here, and I'm sure you will too.
Smooth sailing...

GJH
08-10-2011, 09:20 PM
We used to charter that and other Mainships when we lived in California. While not a Hatteras by any means, they are honest, straight-forward boats. Many happy memories. Does your 390 have a single or twins? Have run it in both configurations and kind of preferred the single (Cat 3208) with thruster over the twin Yanmars myself. Have you tried sleeping in the master stateroom yet? If the bow slap gets to be too much (it was for me) we really enjoyed sleeping on the pull out sofa bed in the salon instead.

We had some fun trips in the twin engine boat out to the Channel Islands in SoCal, but they are more for ICW and California Delta type cruising IMO. Great lay out.

Anyway, you should have a lot of fun with her.

Nauticalnutla
08-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Congrats jimmy hope you enjoy the new toy.

JimmyB
08-16-2011, 07:06 AM
It is the single Cat 3126 model. We are leaving Morgan City later today on our voyage to New Orleans for a bottom job and then on to the Wharf in Orange Beach.

I agree the shared information is a great source. It is impossible to surpass "Real World" information.

I installed a vacum guage on the Racor today and after seeing the current drain, LED lighting is next. We plan to spend time on the hook and that is a necessity.

Stay tuned for updates and questions and thanks to all who helped out.

Jimmy

GJH
08-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Have a great time with her Jimmy. Good choice,the single gives you so much more room in the ER, a protective skeg on the prop, and is easy to handle with the thruster. Does it have a genset? Either way, you gonna have some fun!

MikeP
08-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Yes, good luck and DON"T hesitate to continue posting here!

wshelton
08-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Congrats on your new purchase.

I am moored at The Wharf in OB and have a 43' Hatteras. Boat name is Will Power. Slip L-153. I live in OB and look forward to meeting you. You will enjoy the marina. The staff is the best and the facility along with all the amenities are awesome. Lots to do.

Have a safe trip and see you soon.

Will Shelton

bigbill
08-17-2011, 02:33 PM
jimmy, give us an update on your progress, pictures also. did you get the dinghy in gear?

JimmyB
08-18-2011, 07:14 AM
We are in the Harvey Canal waiting on daylight to cross the Mississippi. the trip so far has been uneventful unless you count 2 locks, fueling up, running in the dark and anchoring is a breeze that shifted 180 degrees an event.

The boat has been flawless and the punch list keeps growing. I am afraid to see what happens when Carla hits a WM.

She had zero experience boating before Tuesday and was maneuvering for anchoring yesterday. Deckhand came by and assisted it setting a stern tie and coiled a 100 ft line. The man is a great source of information and assistance.

By the way Big Bill, the dinghy is running better and forward works except for difficulty in getting out of gear. All you have to do is yank the string.

bigbill
08-18-2011, 10:20 AM
jimmy, be careful of debris in the river, also, if they put you in the locks with a tug or two, be careful of the wheel wash, that shit is brutal on a small boat in a confined space( ask me how i know).

Northcott
08-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Jimmy,

I just sent you a PM. I have a home in New Orleans, so let me know if you need anything. I have an extra car if you need wheels.

Glenn

bigbill
08-24-2011, 10:25 AM
jimmy, how about some pictures and an update. i know she is getting a bottom job. i hope to make it to the yard tomorrow(thursday) to see her, (and you ) if you are there. dont forget we all love pics.

JimmyB
08-24-2011, 06:25 PM

Here are a few pix. The cockpit picture shows 2 of my favorite things, Transom Door and Swim Platform. The autopilot ranks up there also.
If anyone is interested here is a link to a sistership equipped like ours.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/photoGallery.jsp?ro=3&slim=quicknull&r=2355829&currency=USD&checked_boats=2355829&rs=yachtworld.com&boat_id=2355829&back=/core/boats/1999/Mainship-350-390-Trawler-2355829/Old-Saybrook/CT/United-States&boat_id=2355829

We expect to head East Monday and meander over to Orange Beach sometimes next week.

The trip would be nicer without the heat. Maybe I will do like Bill and drive from the comfort of an Air Conditioned Salon.

JimmyB
08-24-2011, 06:30 PM
By the way, the stairs make the boat. The main A/C is under them and going up and down is so civilized. I wonder why more manufacturers do not do this.

bigbill
08-30-2011, 10:35 PM
i just visited with carla and jimmy at the pass christian harbor... the boat looks great, and best of all they are very excited about the boat and cruising. i cant wait to raft up with them and do some cooking and socializing....

JimmyB
09-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Left Pass Christian at 7am, ran to Point Cadet and took on 110 gallons of fuel.
we arrived at the Wharf about 8 pm.

The 110 gallons was 45 engine hours and 39 on the genny. All this at a blazing 9mph.

Now to find out whats wrong with the genny.
Pics to come later

Carla and Jimmy

Northcott
09-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Wow!! Now that is great fuel burn!! Kiss my Maggie Mae for me. I haven't been there in weeks but hope to come this weekend.

JimmyB
09-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Got the gennie fixed within an hour. Great service from Tim Powell in Foley. Found a chafed wire, taped it and $75 dollars later............. Electricity. Margarita time