PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Capacities

ukrescue
07-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi, can anyone help please?
I am now the proud owner of my first Hattaras 48 LRC. I'm not convinced that the fuel gagues are accurate, can anyone tell me what the capacities are of each of the individual tanks. My gauges are reading appoximately half full but how much fuel is half? Thank you

wmassey9
07-12-2011, 05:38 PM
I never have much faith in electronic gauges, if that is what you mean. Mechanical gauges, on the tanks themselves are OK but they stick in place as they age. Best way is to top off, burn fuel, and refill to see actual fuel burn and then correlate that to you gauge reading. Various other things are available, FlowScan for one, that keeps track of your fuel flow and total fuel used. Tank Tender is an excellent device after installed, and calibrated. Best advice, fill your tanks, monitor in miles and hours in use, and go from there. Good luck and enjoy your Hatteras.

Freeebird
07-12-2011, 07:01 PM
This should be of help to you...

http://www.hatterasowners.com/Brochures/48LRC/48LRA-0076.pdf

dastahl
07-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Congraulations on your 48 LRC. Which one did you get? There is a LRC CLub at www.HatterasLRC.com. It is an active club and has more than half of the 48s made as members.
As for the fuel guages they are generally very conservative. And they stick on the way down. I tap on them with a metal rod while filling and when cheching them. Its amazing how many times they move dramaticaly when tapped.
Sorry I don;t know the 48s tank config.
David
Webmaster HatterasLRC.com
Skooch 58 LRC
Sassafras River MD

cb48lrc
07-13-2011, 05:50 PM
I to have recently purchased a 48LRC. Where are you located, we keep ours at the York River Yacht Haven, Glouchester Point, Va.

GJH
07-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Call Hatteras with your hull number and they will sell you a very complete owners manual for your boat, along with many of the drawings. Best money you will ever spend. You will also get the fairly comprehensive "Vital Information" sheets that spec out your specific boat as it left the factory. They have this on micro-fiche so it takes a little while.

Still, along with SAM's, who can also provide information based on your hull number, this kind of support is one of the many reason's you'll be glad you bought a Hatteras.

Pete
07-14-2011, 06:27 PM
I have a 48 LRC also, hull number 316. Hope you enjoy yours as we do ours.

Plus or minus 5 gallons each, here are the numbers. There are four fuel tanks, two on the keel and one in front of each engine. The forward keel tank is 550 gallons under the sole of the main stateroom with the gauge access hatch at the statement room door exit. The aft keel tank is under the raised center line sole between the engines, with the gauge access access at the aft end of the raised sole, and it holds 275 gallons. The tanks immediately forward of each engine are 280 gallons each. The starboard gauge access in under the lower step of the salon to pilothouse steps. The port guage access is under the galley cabinets with the hatch just forward of the galley sink. You will need a mirror to see this one. I run the engines on the keel tanks and use the two saddle tanks to take out any list depending on loading. When the keel tanks start needing fuel, I add to them from the saddle tanks just to keep all fuel in the tanks as fresh as possible. Naturally at 6 GPH cruising, it takes a while to get to that point.

Pete

ukrescue
07-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks Pete, Most helpful, if you're ever cruising in the Med call me and we'll share a bottlle of wine and a BBQ.
Take care and be safe.

John (Jersey Star HIN - HATBC3440380)

I have a 48 LRC also, hull number 316. Hope you enjoy yours as we do ours.

Plus or minus 5 gallons each, here are the numbers. There are four fuel tanks, two on the keel and one in front of each engine. The forward keel tank is 550 gallons under the sole of the main stateroom with the gauge access hatch at the statement room door exit. The aft keel tank is under the raised center line sole between the engines, with the gauge access access at the aft end of the raised sole, and it holds 275 gallons. The tanks immediately forward of each engine are 280 gallons each. The starboard gauge access in under the lower step of the salon to pilothouse steps. The port guage access is under the galley cabinets with the hatch just forward of the galley sink. You will need a mirror to see this one. I run the engines on the keel tanks and use the two saddle tanks to take out any list depending on loading. When the keel tanks start needing fuel, I add to them from the saddle tanks just to keep all fuel in the tanks as fresh as possible. Naturally at 6 GPH cruising, it takes a while to get to that point.

Pete

ukrescue
07-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Hi GJH,
Thanks for that, I have already spoken with Vicky at Hattaras and ordered the owner manual, should make interesting reading. if you ever cruise the Med, call me and we'll share a bottle of wine and a BBQ.

Take care and be safe

John (Jersey Star - 48 LRC)

Call Hatteras with your hull number and they will sell you a very complete owners manual for your boat, along with many of the drawings. Best money you will ever spend. You will also get the fairly comprehensive "Vital Information" sheets that spec out your specific boat as it left the factory. They have this on micro-fiche so it takes a little while.

Still, along with SAM's, who can also provide information based on your hull number, this kind of support is one of the many reason's you'll be glad you bought a Hatteras.

ukrescue
07-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Hi Curt,
Ours is located at Almerimar, Spain in the Med, we're cruising this area this year with a view to cruising the Greek Islands next year.

Take care and be safe

John ( Jersey Star - 48 LRC

I to have recently purchased a 48LRC. Where are you located, we keep ours at the York River Yacht Haven, Glouchester Point, Va.