PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Log Temperatures

scottwvyc
06-14-2011, 10:00 AM
I have an IR temp gun and checked my shaft log temperatures after running for an hour or so, port-75 degrees f and 69 degrees f. These seem reasonable to me, but I have don't know what the actual temperature range should be. They are Buck Algonquin conventional shaft logs.

ThirdHatt
06-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Mine are always in the 80-95 degree range so yours sound very cool. My 58YF had traditional packing glands which I repacked with GoreTex and they ran around 90 degrees. Initially on run-in I noticed during an hourly engine room check that one was creeping up and actually got to 120 degrees so that is how I knew to loosen the collar. Sure enough that brought it back down to 90-ish.

My current boat has dripless shaft seals and they run 80-85 degrees so from my experiences I believe as long as it stays under 100 it's all good.

REBrueckner
06-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Temperature readings will reflect the outside water temperature.

I never checked actual temperatures but I could never detect anything by hand...that is touching via hand and early in the season in NY-CT waters they'd be cool, almost cold...but at moderate RPM.....

ron6785
06-14-2011, 08:44 PM
That sound like they are at ambient temperature and thats perfect. Are they dripping??? I had a heating issue on my starboard side log but the flax had just melted due to being old. With teflon they don't have to leak very much, three or four drops per minute.

scottwvyc
06-15-2011, 12:32 AM
The port side was dripping a little , and with the Teflon packing I am using they are not supposed to drip. I tightened the port side just a little to stop the dripping and want to be sure I haven't over done it. Thank you all for replies.

MikeP
06-15-2011, 06:00 AM
If you can hold your hand on the shaft log and not have to remove it due to the heat, it's fine.

Diver Down
06-15-2011, 06:37 AM
We also have Buck Algonquin packing glands and last weekend the temp of the bronze ran about 90 deg F at all speeds.