PDA

View Full Version : Lost at sea - tuna door!

wiskey girl
03-26-2011, 06:54 PM
I am the proud owner of a 1973 58' Yachtfish. My famly just completed our first ten day voyage and lost our transome / tuna door. How you ask, I am sure (long story). Any recommenations on how to replace or locate another? I dont whant to have to build one.

xanadu
03-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Wow not good. How did this happen? Would not like to make the same mistake on my upcoming trip in our 58YF

Alan
"XANADU"
1974 58YF

rsmith
03-26-2011, 07:14 PM
There is a wrecked 58yf same vintage in Ft Pierce Fl at Crackerboys boat works. Call Woody there and see if they are parting it out.

yachtsmanbill
03-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Whats the dope on Crackerboys? Last time I was in there they werent too nice! ws

rsmith
03-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Whats the dope on Crackerboys? Last time I was in there they werent too nice! ws
I've been going there for 25 years they love me, they just dont like yankees. Tell them your from Okeechobee and you'll be fine.

bigbill
03-26-2011, 10:32 PM
steve at sams told me that the 58 yf didn't come with a transom door until 1975. yours must be a custom door. good luck finding one. i am in the middle of putting a transom door on my 72 58 yf.

yachtsmanbill
03-26-2011, 11:08 PM
I've been going there for 25 years they love me, they just dont like yankees. Tell them your from Okeechobee and you'll be fine.

I taut yooz frum Joizy... ya know, by da toinpike. They talk funny in Okkeechobee too? All this time I thought I was a cracker boy myself! ws

SeaEric
03-26-2011, 11:11 PM
I taut yooz frum Joizy... ya know, by da toinpike. They talk funny in Okkeechobee too? All this time I thought I was a cracker boy myself! ws

Joizy, Yeah, Ya get there on the Furry.

J's Dream
03-27-2011, 12:17 AM
My transom door was missing when I bought my boat. Had to have it custom made from scratch. Who the hell puts a transom door on removable hinges?

You may need to find a fiberglass guy who is willing to fabricate it from scratch, and tell 'em to fill it with foam...so if it comes off again, it'll float!

wiskey girl
03-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks guys. It may have been a custom door. It was a full thickness of the transom not like other two section doors I have seen on other modles. Most doors seem to have a folding open top and a swing open door that is relatively thin when complaired to the balance of the tramsom. If some folks don't mind would apprreciate some photos of other doors off your boats as it look as if I will be building from scratch. My email is bill@bwaterslaw.com. Anything woudl be apprecaited.

REBrueckner
03-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Don't forget to plan for and obtain the hinge(s) .....and latch

My 48 1972 YF has a huge SS one piece hinge that is just beautiful..... Maybe Sam's can locate one of these for you....I never liked the latch as you had to be really careful not to mark the transofrm fiberglass....the door had to be pulled tight with one hand, and the latch engaged with the other.....

My [original] Hatteras door was NOT even close to being watertight...but as I recall the 58 YF door is higher relative to sea level so that may not be much of a consideration for you...

lumina
03-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Hi All,

Here are pictures of the hinge and door Rob is referring to.

yachtsmanbill
03-27-2011, 03:57 PM
This was custom built by Bradford... ws

http://i52.tinypic.com/2iljuyc.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/n2zozo.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/14wst1k.jpg

bigbill
03-28-2011, 12:43 PM
i called crackerboys, and they said the 58yf is not for sale or being parted out, it is there for storage. i am still looking for a set of master stateroom closet doors.

rsmith
03-28-2011, 12:54 PM
i called crackerboys, and they said the 58yf is not for sale or being parted out, it is there for storage. i am still looking for a set of master stateroom closet doors.
Damn shame there are several boats there from the 04 hurricanes that are just sitting there deteriorating.