PDA

View Full Version : Apliances

saltshaker
03-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Anyone have experience with the new direct induction cook tops? Also looking for suggestions/experience with replacing the stacked washer dryer with compact stackable front load units. I know Braun makes a compact set but the reviews aren't very good.

BlackPearl36c
03-22-2011, 11:48 AM
friend has the induction cooktop in his house. have to buy special pots for it but itll boil a full pot of water in about 60 seconds. pretty cool

Angela
03-22-2011, 12:48 PM
I replaced my original stacking washer/dryer with the front-loading Bosch Axxis washer/dryer. They are 23.75" wide. I am very pleased with them and in particular, I really, really like the "sanitize" wash feature. I use that a lot! They fit into the old hole perfectly.

saltshaker
03-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Angela, I've heard the Bosch units don't clean to well and can leave a distinct odor in the clothes. Have you had these problems? Sure would be nice to get the larger capacity of the Bosch units. Does the dryer take long to dry? thanks again.

Angela
03-22-2011, 04:43 PM
I sure have NOT had any odor problems - and trust me - if there was a smell, they’d be outta here. The only time clothes smell is when they got left in the washer overnight or all day and they begin to mildew - that's not the washer's fault - that the user's fault. I have a hang up about smells and odors - just ask Ed. So, I am also adamant about getting the wash out right away when it's done. Otherwise, I run them again....just ask Ed. LOL

In fact, I have found that by using the sanitize function on the washer, the bath/swim towels can be re-used more often than if they were washed on the regular wash because the bacteria gets killed. It is a marked difference and I use that cycle religiously on towels, sheets - anything guests may use - and my kitchen towels - pretty much everything except cold water delicates. The washer spins the water out so well that they are nearly dry when the wash finishes. Dryer is the fastest one I’ve ever had. The Axxis series is the smaller one than the Nexus series. Nexus won’t fit. Still, I can get two full beds worth of sheets in a single load.

GJH
03-22-2011, 06:22 PM
We have been very happy with our stackable Maytag 24" units for about 3 years of full time live aboard use. Our vintage just had one achilles heel, in that coins could get lodged in the draining water pump, forcing us to take the whole set up out to clear it. I have now found a fix for this on line. If they are still making these, highly recommended.

I have seen induction stoves at various friends, and many high end restaurant chefs swear by them. You don't need "special" cook wear, just magnetic steel, such as cast iron. They combine the controllability of gas with the safety of electric, without the ambient heat and burn danger. I'd put one in if and when we ever remodel.

saltshaker
03-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks. Angela, I totally agree with you about getting the wash out right away. If we throw a load in at night and forget to move it to the dryer, it gets washed again. I like the 3.5 cu ft compared to the 1.5 cu ft of the Maytag or Whirlpool stackables.

George, the Maytag is still available and that or the Whirlpool units are the direct replacements. The front loaders are smaller and have a much larger capacity. We have small children and we go through a lot of towels and swimwear daily. I think the induction cooktop is the way to go. Every thing I read about them sounds great. I like the fact that they don't heat up the boat when in use. Boiling water on our old glass cooktop took forever and the interior of the boat would get all steamed up. This is an important decision for us as we cook on board all the time.

GJH
03-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Jack, the Maytags we have are stacking front loaders like the Bosch. And it appears they are still available,

http://www.abt.com/product/17027/Maytag-MAH2400AWW.html

http://www.abt.com/product/17148/Maytag-MDE2400AYW.html?source=alsobought

Bill Root
03-22-2011, 11:29 PM
We have the stacked Bosch units on BUFFALO GAL. No odor to speak of. Our dryer is vented overboard. We love them.

REBrueckner
03-23-2011, 07:52 AM
I heard, but don't know, unless you buy the very expensive special cookware for induction stoves, they don't work nearly so well....does anybody know??

saltshaker
03-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Jack, the Maytags we have are stacking front loaders like the Bosch. And it appears they are still available,

http://www.abt.com/product/17027/Maytag-MAH2400AWW.html

http://www.abt.com/product/17148/Maytag-MDE2400AYW.html?source=alsobought

Thanks. I wasn't aware of any 24" front load units other than the Bosch.

saltshaker
03-23-2011, 08:22 AM
I heard, but don't know, unless you buy the very expensive special cookware for induction stoves, they don't work nearly so well....does anybody know??

Actually its more the opposite. The expensive anodized aluminum and stainless steel cookware sets don't work. They need to be magnetic. A lot of cookware sets have steel bottoms and will work fine.