PDA

View Full Version : Draging Paragon Gears

Kim Beatley
03-20-2011, 07:21 PM
My 36 C has old Paragon Gears with a 1.5 :1 reduction. Working great after 37 years. Whan fishing, in order to reduce trolling speed, I will cut one motor and just troll with one screw engaged.

Someone told me that draging a wheel through the water with out the engine running was not good for the gearing as the oil was not pumped through the gears. Is that true?

Is it ok for the gearbox to freewheel with out engine running; specifically the original Hatteras Paragon Gears?

PV23

Will
03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
The problem with most reverse gears is that they rely on the transmission oil pump to lubricate bearings and clutch parts. Splash from the drive line itself cannot do that. Check the model number with the manufacturer and down load a manual where this issue is often addressed. Otherwise, err on the side of caution and don't let the shaft freewheel.
Will

smoothmove
03-20-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm reluctant to say go ahead, but I have done it for years with no problem as have some others I know. Also I've read the manuals for the early paragons and the later self adjusting model and nowhere does it caution against free wheeling the gear. Understand that this is pure opinion.
Eric