PDA

View Full Version : Need a surveyor in Sarasota FL

Igor Borissov
02-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Anyone knows a good surveyor, hull and engines (Detroits) for old Hat in Sarasota FL?
I appreciate any help!

Igor

GJH
02-09-2011, 07:29 PM
When we were buying 4 years ago, there were a couple of boats (all Hatteras) that were finalists in western FL. After getting quite a few references, and a conversation, I settled on this fellow if we bought a boat down there. I ended up buying in Maryland but anyway, FYI:

http://www.adrianvolney.com/

captddis
02-09-2011, 07:31 PM
When we were buying 4 years ago, there were a couple of boats (all Hatteras) that were finalists in western FL. After getting quite a few references, and a conversation, I settled on this fellow if we bought a boat down there. I ended up buying in Maryland but anyway, FYI:

http://www.adrianvolney.com/

Nooooooo!

SeaEric
02-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Henry Pickersgill

Capndan
02-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Kip Tunner 941-456-2500
He did a great job and was very knowlegable on my 61 MY purchase in September.
He is not an engine surveyor.
David Downes 941-737-8112 is a local engine surveyor.
I did not use an engine surveyor for my purchase.

GJH
02-09-2011, 09:52 PM
What's up with Volney? I couldn't get a negative on him. But that was 4 years ago.

captddis
02-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Kip Tunner 941-456-2500
He did a great job and was very knowlegable on my 61 MY purchase in September.
He is not an engine surveyor.
David Downes 941-737-8112 is a local engine surveyor.
I did not use an engine surveyor for my purchase.

Do not use downes!!!!! Use Dave Hinkel

captddis
02-09-2011, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE=GJH;180938]What's up with Volney? I couldn't get a negative on him. But that was 4 years ago.[/QUOTE

Well, he just did a survey and came unglued at a few blisters and told the buyer that the bottom was going to delaminate if a peel job was not done.
They broke the galley faucet then listed it as a deficiency. They tore the stiching on the lexan enclosure, Flagged items that they did not know how to turn on...................................

captddis
02-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Do not use downes!!!!! Use Dave Hinkel

PM me if you want more info.

Igor Borissov
02-10-2011, 01:19 AM
Thank you for the responses!
Both Henry Pickersgill and Adrian Volney are listed on Boat US directory of marine surveyors; Henry Pickersgill is with NAMS, David Downes, Kip Turner and Adrian Volney are with SAMS, (Volney is accredited with SAMS since 1992, looks like lot’s of years in business…), David Hinkel has a nice website. Will call them tomorrow, plan the survey after M. boat show.

Thank you again,

igor

jimbo46
02-10-2011, 06:04 AM
Igor,

David Hinkle surveyed the engines in two boats for me. One was in Bradenton and the other in Stuart. This was several years ago. He saved me from buying both and he was right. I found him very good to work with and very knowledgeable. I can recommend him without reservation. As for hull surveyors, I had Ed Rowe who lives in Vero Beach do one of these boats for me and I found him equally sound. I would use him again and I think he would go across the state. The broker was not particularly happy to know I was using him which made me very happy! Send me a personal email if you want to talk about this!

Incidentally, we now have a very nice Hatteras which is the right boat!

Jimbo46

GJH
02-10-2011, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=GJH;180938]What's up with Volney? I couldn't get a negative on him. But that was 4 years ago.[/QUOTE

Well, he just did a survey and came unglued at a few blisters and told the buyer that the bottom was going to delaminate if a peel job was not done.
They broke the galley faucet then listed it as a deficiency. They tore the stiching on the lexan enclosure, Flagged items that they did not know how to turn on...................................

I take it that's code for he surveyed a boat you or a friend were selling? I understand most surveyors want to show all the "findings" they can. That's what the buyer wants, and it is up to the buyer and surveyor to sort out the important stuff from the chaff.

jimbo46
02-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Morning all,

Hopefully as a buyer you are talking to a competent surveyor when"hashing things out". Some bad surveyors kill good deals and enable bad deals! That is why it is good to be somewhat knowledgeable yourself and to ask prior advice of other people who have used a particular surveyor and not just "heard things about him". As upsetting as having a surveyor miss something when you are buying, is having him overkill a problem when you are selling! Igor is doing exactly the right thing in asking for our thoughts on guys in the area.

Jimbo46

captddis
02-10-2011, 08:26 AM
[QUOTE=captddis;180944]

I take it that's code for he surveyed a boat you or a friend were selling? I understand most surveyors want to show all the "findings" they can. That's what the buyer wants, and it is up to the buyer and surveyor to sort out the important stuff from the chaff.

Well. I DO NOT WANT SOME SURVEYOR TO DAMAGE MY BOAT AND WALK AWAY!! I guess on your boat it would be ok? You can "sort" it out. How about not knowing one engine only has 40 hours on it, but telling your customer it is 50% worn out. How about telling a buyer that the compression is 390 PSI across the board without ever having pulled a valve cover? How do you check compression without pulling injectors??
You always want to defend without knowing the facts.

Pm me and I will tell you more.

Igor Borissov
02-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Feel confident with your support, thank you.
Additional question, (new thread?) When I looked at the boat, I noticed the headliner was painted, very noticeably and not accurate at all. It could be just leaks… But, given that the boat had very heavy odor, I wonder is there any mold out there? So as a surveyor can’t detach the headliner, is there any trick to check for mold during survey? This is original perforated headliner.

igor

yachtsmanbill
02-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Nooooooo!

C'mon Dave, just because his website jammed my computer and I had to hard crash it is no reason... ws

Igor Borissov
02-10-2011, 12:12 PM
anyone knows Dan Mattos, engine surveyor?

igor

captddis
02-10-2011, 01:21 PM
anyone knows Dan Mattos, engine surveyor?

igor

Tough but fair. make sure you get Dan.

Canuck Dennis
02-10-2011, 01:26 PM
David Downes did a survey for a friend of mine a month ago and missed a leaking
fuel cooler on the engine and faulty switch over valve on Racor fuel system.

saltshaker
02-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Igor,

I would trust and value captddis's recommendations. He is both in the business and in your area. Considering how important this is and how many bad surveyors are out there, best to go with a known recommendation. Good luck with your purchase.

GJH
02-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Well, like I said my references on Volney are now 4 years old. And I did get direct ones, not hearsay; and sorry, I always have to take a seller's view of a surveyor with a grain of salt or two. It never occurred to me to use him as an engine surveyor; forget who we settled on for that, Mattos sounds familiar. Anyway, I didn't use any of them because we bought elsewhere.

I do believe it is incumbent on the buyer to have a good understanding of survey issues, or have a captain who is expert. Ignorance can kill a potentially good deal.

I remember the seller and broker for my boat hating our surveyor, until they went over the survey with the yard owner they trusted (rightfully so, as I found out by using him myself). Then they had to admit her major findings were spot on, and so were the minor ones and their relative importance. A good surveyor will differentiate between issues according to their importance, and be able to answer question an insurer may have. It also helps to use someone who is familiar with the type of boat you are buying; a classic example being the Hatteras blister issue.

Now don't get me going on insurance brokers....

captddis
02-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Well, like I said my references on Volney are now 4 years old. And I did get direct ones, not hearsay; and sorry, I always have to take a seller's view of a surveyor with a grain of salt or two. It never occurred to me to use him as an engine surveyor; forget who we settled on for that, Mattos sounds familiar. Anyway, I didn't use any of them because we bought elsewhere.

I do believe it is incumbent on the buyer to have a good understanding of survey issues, or have a captain who is expert. Ignorance can kill a potentially good deal.

I remember the seller and broker for my boat hating our surveyor, until they went over the survey with the yard owner they trusted (rightfully so, as I found out by using him myself). Then they had to admit her major findings were spot on, and so were the minor ones and their relative importance. A good surveyor will differentiate between issues according to their importance, and be able to answer question an insurer may have. It also helps to use someone who is familiar with the type of boat you are buying; a classic example being the Hatteras blister issue.

Now don't get me going on insurance brokers....

Downes did the engines, they work together.

foleyjt
02-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Daniel R. Mattos: Marine Engine Surveyor, Inc. I'm not one to blast someone in a public forum, however anyone that would like my opinion on this "surveyor" please send me a PM. However, I'd certainly never consider him again, and wish I never had.