PDA

View Full Version : Galley Maid Head Pump

divert00
12-23-2010, 04:44 PM
1979 43C. I have the older style galley maid head pump that has a intake water pump on one end and a dirty water pump on the other, both driven by the same electric motor. There is a 1/4" copper tube about 16" long connected across the top of the two by ports on the topside of each pump. The tube was corroed and broke when I touched it, so I went to replace. The fitting on the dirty pump side is solid. Wher there would be a hole in the center is solid metal; not corrosion. I scraped with a drill bit just to make sure and it is bright metal; no hole in the center. No water or air pressure can transmit across this connection. Any body seen this before or know if this is right or wrong? As this pump has worked well during my 8 years of ownership and still does, I may cap the ports and forget the connecting tube.

Bayside Bert54
12-23-2010, 06:11 PM
I would check with Galley Maid (863-467-6070) ... I have the Delta system (which is what I believe you have) and I believe one of my pumps has that connecting tube and the others do not. I don't think it's necessary but I would ask Galley Maid.

TopHattandTails
12-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Not sure if there is a new or old version of a GM pump (their all old in my book). But, GM head pumps have a priming tube that should be removed. Lots of theads about this. Take the tube off, install some npt screws with wing nuts to both sides. That makes it easier to prime if ever need to (I have 1 pump that I need to prime on the dirty side after an active ride- air locks). At one point one of those priming tubes (and a worn stator) "auto filled" my holding tank. Not a comfortable thought... they all came off at that point.

Bayside Bert54
12-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Not sure if there is a new or old version of a GM pump (their all old in my book). But, GM head pumps have a priming tube that should be removed. Lots of theads about this. Take the tube off, install some npt screws with wing nuts to both sides. That makes it easier to prime if ever need to (I have 1 pump that I need to prime on the dirty side after an active ride- air locks). At one point one of those priming tubes (and a worn stator) "auto filled" my holding tank. Not a comfortable thought... they all came off at that point.

Come to think of it, that is the one that was auto-filling my holding tank (the only one with the tube on it) !! I was still wondering why that happened and figured it was either the pump itself or the check valves all of which are now replaced ... the problem with having to re-prime after a rough ride could be with the check valve. I replaced the check valve located on the seawater supply side. There is a second check valve after the macerator going to the overboard.

divert00
12-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks. I eliminated the tubing and capped both ports. Head pump seems to work as usual.