PDA

View Full Version : Junk drawer

rsmith
12-10-2010, 10:55 PM
I was impressed by how neat and organised every one that posted on the sea rail thread was. I jumped on the boat this afternoon to head down to the fuel dock for going offshore tomorrow. I threw my wallet keys and cell on the counter. Then I thought "ill just throw the stuff in the Junk drawer" and I started wondering since it looks like I'm one of the few that needs sea rails maybe I'm the only one with a "Junk drawer"
Here's mine
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af224/endless50/PC100100.jpg
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af224/endless50/PC100101.jpg

Angela
12-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Holy crap!!! You DO need sea rails! LOL I don't have junk drawers, but I guess I could post photos of my three galley drawers....they don't look like yours though. :)

rsmith
12-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Holy crap!!! You DO need sea rails! LOL I don't have junk drawers, but I guess I could post photos of my three galley drawers....they don't look like yours though. :)

I need inspiration to be organised.LOL

Walter P
12-10-2010, 11:11 PM
You call that a "junk drawer" felix. You're an amataur. Every boat needs either a drawer or better yet an extra dunage box to keep all the things that "will come in handy someday".

Walt

bobk
12-11-2010, 08:38 AM
You call that a "junk drawer" felix. You're an amataur. Every boat needs either a drawer or better yet an extra dunage box to keep all the things that "will come in handy someday".

Walt

Amen, especially if you are as frugal as Walt and I.

Bob

Angela
12-11-2010, 08:53 AM
I keep all my "junk" in a truck. I have a old FP&L step van - how's that for a "junk drawer?" It is lined with shelves and an aisle down the middle, but it is neatly organized...LOL - it has plumbing, electrical, canvas, boat washing, paint, pump, scuba, storm supply "departments." And more.

MikeP
12-11-2010, 09:31 AM
My "junk drawer" is the old LaMarche Battery charger! When I switched to the Outback inverter for charging duties I gutted the LaMarche case and installed two shelves. Works great and looks delightfully retro! ;)

rsmith
12-11-2010, 09:40 AM
I keep all my "junk" in a truck. I have a old FP&L step van - how's that for a "junk drawer?" It is lined with shelves and an aisle down the middle, but it is neatly organized...LOL - it has plumbing, electrical, canvas, boat washing, paint, pump, scuba, storm supply "departments." And more.
LOL When I used to keep the boat at Old Port Cove in North Palm there was a couple that lived aboard the boat behind me. They had 2 old Volvo wagons up in the parking lot packed with clothes and stuff.

Boatsb
12-11-2010, 09:43 AM
You guys are amateurs. I had to borrow a 50 amp cord for a boat that needed a longer cord and called my buddy Roger ( shark1007 ) He has 2 storage units ( each the size of a large one car garage ) filled with all kinds of great stuff and when I talked to him this morning he was bringing another truckload back from the PO of his latest acquisition.

By the way he gladly loaned me one of his several spare cords.

SeaEric
12-11-2010, 10:55 AM

A friend of mine here has an old station wagon that he uses. He refers to it as his "rolling dock box".

Trojan
12-11-2010, 12:47 PM

That's not a junk drawer it's a work shop. I have a 4 ft tall hanging closet at the foot of the steps. All of the tools that I need are stored there along with anything else I don't know what to do with. Any long term unused things are home in a barn. The only parts that I keep aboard are impellers, belts, filters, oils and light bulbs. I do have two pen and pencil drawers along side the wet bar that do get some strange things in them once in a while.

BILL

Walter P
12-11-2010, 10:18 PM
About 10 years ago I bought a Chevy Astrovan to schlepp me an my "boat stuff" back and forth to the boat. I ev

shark 1007
12-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Scott is right, due to circumstances beyond my control, I just acuired a 52C on top of my 41C, 34C and 38 Bert.

In addition to other stuff, thanks to my friend having been anal, I have two storage units with, among many other things...

New spare refrig for the 52, new spare dishwasher, two new vacuflush heads, all removable engine/trans coolers for the 892's, three aftercoolers, 4 50a dock cords, airsep filters, 48 racor filters, 50 oil and trans and secondary fuel filters. A flywheel, 6 complete 50a cable ends, a brownie, injectors, numerous impeller pullers, an extra fighting chair, extra hoses of all types(20 foot sticks)
extra turbo risers(4), turbos, reliabilt water pumps, 6 cover plated for raw water pumps, alternators, hydrico pumps. Cases of teflon wax,boat soap, lines, extra anchor. And the list goes on.

I had to rent another 10x30 unit for the extra junk! The first warehouse is full of parts for the other three.

Glory
12-12-2010, 09:28 AM
In '94 I moved from one marine t o another. I decided to empty the gear (mostly junk) out the dock box and toss anything I didn't remember was in the there.

I had a few laughs, there was a SS antenna base, in the blister pack, a few weeks ago I had picked one up to replace one that was shot. I also laughed when I lifted up the steel 3 gallon OB tank that came with the 4 HP Evenrude I still have and even though the tank had never been used and looked new on the top the bottom remaind behind in the bottom of the dock box.

In the end I stored the antenna mount on the boat tossed the rest of the contents, mostly junk, and gave the dock box away.

JM