PDA

View Full Version : Relocate batteries on 53MY

questover
06-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Has anyone tried to relocate the battery banks on a 53 classic with 8v71TI to the engine room? If so where? I thought about building something off the hull side supported off floor.

Thanks, russ

MikeP
06-06-2005, 02:53 PM
They might fit between the outboard sides of the engines and the hull but if so, you would have no access to the outboard side of the engine for routine maintenance.

Further...I'd be very uncomfortable doing this. Putting them in the engine room will change the boat's center of gravity both fore/aft and side to side. This is a pretty substantial weight shift from the oem design and might seriously affect handling in rough weather. I'd definitely try to find someone knowledgeable about the hull design etc of the 53 and talk to them about it first.

Pascal
06-06-2005, 03:18 PM
why would you want to do that? they'd be in the way of any maintenace you need to do in there, especially alternator / starter on the port side and it's MUCH hotter in the engine room than in the genset room.

it would shorten cable runs but i don't see any other advantage.

and if your boat is stabilized, that's where the stabilizers are (at least on mine)

i don't know if weight is an issue though, we're talking 200 or 300 lbs, that's less than 2 bodies...

MikeP
06-07-2005, 07:49 AM
Pascal,

Good point. After thinking about it I realized that 300lbs on a 53MY is only around a half-percent of the total boat weight. Can't imagine it would be significant, no matter where you move it.

SKYCHENEY
06-07-2005, 02:49 PM
I agree that heat is a big issue if they are put in the ER. Why are you trying to move them?