PDA

View Full Version : Paragon Gears

Kim Beatley
11-26-2010, 10:46 AM
I am a new owner of an old, but great 36 foot 1972 Hatteras Convertible. I am considering a re-power this winter. have not decided on gas or diesel. My heart says diesel, but my budget says gas.

The boat has the original 1972 Paragon gears. I run the boat about 10 hours a week, (weekends), and it runs great. No issues with gearing.

For the repower, should I be considering buying new gears? I have heard the Paragon's are bullet proof. If I keep them, what maintenance/rebuild is requried? I do keep the oil changed.

dsharp
11-26-2010, 11:29 AM
As long as you can still get parts you can keep them and buy the new engines as "bobtails". I would check the pricing on the new power with gears, it may not be that much difference. As long as a cooler doesn't start leaking there is not much to go wrong with a reduction gear. Eventually they will need new clutch plates and seals. I prefer the borg warner velvet drive but, that's only because they were a lot more popular on the Texas coast. If you decide to keep them it would be a good time for a rebuild when you change the engines. What engines are in the boat now?

Kim Beatley
11-28-2010, 06:35 AM
engines are 1995 Marine Power, Gas, 330 HP. Running great! (knock on wood,) but I am limited to about 18 knots at 75% WOT. (WOT=3,700 RPM and 24 knots.)

I am also surprised that my average fuel consumption is only about 12 GPH for both engines and generator. That is for a full 8 hour day of Rockfishing in the Chesapeak Bay, (three hours of running time and 5 hours of tolling.)

I am considering a repower in 2013, but do not know if the cost of the diesels warrents the switch. I do not go off shore. It is cheaper to hire a larger boat. It would be nice however, to be able to crusie at 24-25 knots.

ohiohatteras
11-28-2010, 10:27 AM
If $$$ is an issue...go gas re-BUILD. I've been trying to justify diesels for my 76 36c too....just can't seem to do it! The best prices I have found for 370hp Cummins with a trans is about $22k EACH. Then add in a $7k diesel genny PLUS installation of about $20k. Grand total is around $65k give or take $5k.

Rebuild = $6k. The math gets real simple at this point!!! If speed is your concern...it's waaaaaay cheaper to just leave a little sooner!

(also....you should be getting 4200 at WOT)

yachtsmanbill
11-28-2010, 12:42 PM
I am a new owner of an old, but great 36 foot 1972 Hatteras Convertible. I am considering a re-power this winter. have not decided on gas or diesel. My heart says diesel, but my budget says gas.

The boat has the original 1972 Paragon gears. I run the boat about 10 hours a week, (weekends), and it runs great. No issues with gearing.

For the repower, should I be considering buying new gears? I have heard the Paragon's are bullet proof. If I keep them, what maintenance/rebuild is requried? I do keep the oil changed.

FWIW... the clutches in the P-gons are Ford auto trans (C-4) clutch plates. Keep oil in them and theyll last a LOOONG time. If they rattle at low speeds, you need a tune up.
My Roamer had 283 with Paragons. The rebuilder here said that they were gonna explode within a year (they were15 y.o. at the time). They ran another 1500 hours before I repowered with Merc 330s and velvetdrives. BTW... they rattle at idle as well. Damn ethanol in the carbs!
Repowering with diesels is a bottomless pit for you, unless you find a twin boat thats getting cut up. Cables, electrical, exhaust, gears, shafts, props,... the list goes on. Then theres the regular mtce stuff that needs done while yer in there... hoses, clamps, cleaning, painting, on and on and on... ws