PDA

View Full Version : Kim Hotstart block heater install

nyrussell
11-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Getting a Kim Hotstart Block Heater this week and need to figure out the best way to do the install.... here is the link to the data sheets... http://www.hotstart.com/small-tank-style-heaters-tps-models

Model is the TPS051GT10-000

Questions:

How do i make sure the plugs stay connected when we get bounced daily?
How do I make sure it is as efficient as possible with inlet vs outlet?
What type of hose is the best for this application and T's as well?

All other advice is welcome as well.

Noel

DLCameron2
11-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Noel:

Is this like the unit you are getting? If so PM me I do not understand your question about the plug (?). DC

saltshaker
11-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Why not use an immersion block heater? That's what I have on mine and they work well. Simple install. You can wire them directly or add a dedicated outlet to the ER. Then you'll have an AC outlet in the ER.
http://www.hotstart.com/in-block-heaters/

lumina
11-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Hi All,

FYI Another alternative:......

We installed a 250w Wolverine oil pan heater on each 8V71N engine and it's made a world of diffenence overall.

Extremely easy to install (2 hrs), plugs right into a 110 outlet.

I leave them on constantly (per Wolverine) except when the engines are running (per wolverene).

Warms the entire engine.

http://www.wolverineheater.com/

nyrussell
11-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Per my Cat Mechanic....you will not be able to et to the freeze out plugs on the outboard side of the engines so this is an easier system to install. Also It will be easier to service if necessary. Ergo we do not go into the block...

As for the unit, yes it is. I am going to pull the 12/3 wire to the electrical box this week and place the plug where the fan unit for my diesel heater is that was installed in the engine room. Unless someone has a better position for my boat than where the HW Heater was... ( I am installing a 6 gallon to replce the 12 gallon). This will make the runs for the coolant a bit longer, but keep the units out of the way.

So, If the outlet is on the cieling and the boat gets rocked every 20 minutes from 6-10 am and 4-7 pm and 30 minutes otherwise, how do I insure the plugs stay in the outlet? (besides glue or tape... :D)

Noel

SKYCHENEY
11-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Cut the plug off and hard wire it.

saltshaker
11-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Cut the plug off and hard wire it.
Ditto. OTOH, if you are getting rocked hard enough for a plug to come out of a receptacle, you need a new slip. I've never had anything come unplugged, even in 10ft seas.

nyrussell
11-08-2010, 07:14 AM
hmmm cutting the plug should work. Not a bad idea actually... Will talk to a friend who is an electrician. In that case I will need to add an outlet too...

nyrussell
11-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Noel:

Is this like the unit you are getting? If so PM me I do not understand your question about the plug (?). DC

Yes, that is the unit. 2 of them behind me now awaiting install. We went with a plug set up for each one on a separate 15 amp breaker. I am thinking to put the plugs in the ceiling of the engine room just above the heaters... Or on the back wall near the fuel manifold... we shall see. Of course, if water does get on them then I have bigger issues, but....

Next question... I am not sure where on my 3208's to plug them into with the ball valve bypass... I will get pictures this weekend of the spot they are going to be installed to and the actual install as well.