PDA

View Full Version : Heat exchanger gaskets - 8 71

MikeP
08-18-2010, 03:26 PM
I decided to pull/clean the HEs today and did that...except for the part where I DIDN"T check first to be sure I had the necessary gasket sets...

I thought I did but turns out I don't. I used to get them at the local DD dealer on LI but anybody know a good internet site for them?

spartonboat1
08-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech who pulled and cleaned mine did not have all of them either. He used a good quality hi temp rtv and after 6 years, no issues yet; and they used to leak, but not since then.

jack mattocks
08-18-2010, 08:36 PM
diesel pro parts inc relative inexpensive

MikeP
08-19-2010, 05:17 AM
Thanks.

I know the RTV method works fine but I'm not a fan of it because it makes future disassembly harder since it essentially glues everything in place. Squeeze-out is also an issue though with care to not overdo it, it can be avoided. I'll try Diesel Pro but if I can't get the gaskets in the next few days, I will probably do the RTV thing...

GJH
08-19-2010, 07:42 AM
Does the local J&T have them? They are a little bit of a schlep from KI, I suppose, but perhaps thy have someone coming over that way.

rsmith
08-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks.

I know the RTV method works fine but I'm not a fan of it because it makes future disassembly harder since it essentially glues everything in place. Squeeze-out is also an issue though with care to not overdo it, it can be avoided. I'll try Diesel Pro but if I can't get the gaskets in the next few days, I will probably do the RTV thing...

If you use the blue it doesent stick. I use it even on the gaskets because with the hi concentration of salt we have it seems to wick its way out under the gaskets. I have had a problem with the 1/8 pipe plugs in the end plates turning to mush.I actualy had one blow out onetime. I always use brass ones. I've got them on a 2 year replacement cycle now.

REBrueckner
08-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Good idea to coat both sides of those gaskets with high temp silicone (the red gasket glop) before assembly to discourage wicking.....just a thin coat via finger...hardly any presses out and can be wiped right off....

My former marina mechanic stocked the gaskets in his shop....try yours....

MikeP
08-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Found the gaskets down the road about 2 miles! There's a diesel shop that someone told me about this morning. Went down and they will have two gasket sets for me tomorrow morning. So that worked out pretty well!

The He's actually look pretty clean and I suspect that there will be no difference at all in temps. One of the guys here told me that he hasn't cleaned his HEs in 14 years and he has no temp issues. So maybe my re-cleaning them in 3 years is anal and unnecessary (as pretty much stated by a good friend who is also a regular on this site!) :)

spartonboat1
08-19-2010, 11:28 PM
I don't know your hose routing, but 2x chk that no hoses are kinked that run the HE, such an oil cooler water run hose. My 2cw..

REBrueckner
08-20-2010, 04:44 PM
"..So maybe my re-cleaning them in 3 years is anal and unnecessary (as pretty much stated by a good friend who is also a regular on this site!).."

do ya think???? Have you racked up 3,000 hours in three years?????

MikeP
08-20-2010, 06:48 PM
No...more like maybe 300 at most... ;)

In my defense - I don't like waiting for things to be a problem. Had an insurance survey a couple of months ago; the surveyor said he couldn't flnd anything on the boat to write up but said he'd have to make up something or "it wouldn't look right to the insurance company."

MikeP
08-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Well, I'm annoyed!!!

If you purchase the Federal Mogul Gasket set FP-5192637, "Gasket kit for Heat Exchanger Overhaul 71," it's incomplete. Yes, per the book it's the correct set but there is only one gasket for the inlet/outlet hose(es) you need two. Yep, you need ONE for the inlet AND ONE for the outlet. The set has one. I guess they figure you can decide whether you want it to leak on the input side or the output side.

Additionally, there are two large square gaskets needed on each side for the heat exchanger itself. I count that to be FOUR of those gaskets. The kit provides three. Again, you get to decide whether you'd like the leak on the input side or the output side.

I bought two kits and they are the same - both lack the necessary gaskets and the parts list on the front of the package lists exactly what is in the pack, including 3 of the gaskets you need four of, and one of the gaskets you need two of.

I hate stuff like this and it supports the view that making them all from RTV is a lot less aggravating.

So if you are overhauling the HE's I suggest you just buy the specific gaskets that you need as opposed to buying a kit. That's what I did the last time and it was cheaper anyway since the kit also includes gaskets that are not needed for every application. So I have a bunch of gaskets that aren't applicable and am missing 2 from each set that are.

X@#$%&@!!!!

lumina
08-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi All,

Contact either Fairhaven Shipyard, Faihaven MA or Beckmans, New Bedford MA. Between the two of them they have the gasket sets and pretty much every else for Detriots.

Angela
08-22-2010, 12:26 AM
Mike....ironically, I have a complete set of gaskets for all that stuff. I've held the gaskets up to the parts, and they are a match...I just don't have the balls to start unscrewing all that stuff. Maybe I'll grow a pair in a year or two. Meanwhile, if you find yourself in Miami.....I have a nice place here...LOL

REBrueckner
08-22-2010, 08:14 AM
And when you change gaskets, be sure at a minimum to use NEVER SEIZE on the bolts for reassembly....When I replaced gaskets, I also changed out my bolts and replaced the ones I removed with stainless steel....

MikeP
08-22-2010, 06:24 PM
I made the missing gaskets using gasket paper, put it all back together, filled up the coolant and ran the engines up. Of course, until the boat's out under load I won't be able to tell if there is any difference in temps. The HEs didn't appear that clogged up so I don't think there will be any change. OTOH, every time I see these TINY HEs, I can't imagine how they can possibly dissipate the heat at high loads. They are less than 12" long and maybe about 5x6" in width/height.

Good article here about gasket sealers. I liked it because it mirrors my own views (though I have never used Hylomar).

Oops - here's the link: http://www.mad-ducati.com/Articles/GasketSealant.html