PDA

View Full Version : Swim platforms and convertibles: do they mix?

C. Edmund
07-26-2010, 07:01 PM
I see a pretty good number of convertibles with swim platforms, and while some are obviously never fished -- some with platforms do appear to be fished some (in that they have fighting chairs and other signs of fishing).

How big of an impediment to fishing is a swim platform on a C?

Scotte28516
07-26-2010, 08:04 PM
None at all that I really know of. Almost ALL convertibles and sportfishers on the West Coast have them. Large catch such as marlin, swordfish and large sharks can be secured to the swim platform to transport to the docks as well as side secured. For any other fishing(tuna, dorado, white sea bass, yellowtail, etc.) swim platforms do not get in the way.

Here is a picture of the swim platform on mine.
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff253/Scotte28516/Picture196.jpg

Tim Powell
07-26-2010, 08:50 PM
None at all that I really know of. Almost ALL convertibles and sportfishers on the West Coast have them. Large catch such as marlin, swordfish and large sharks can be secured to the swim platform to transport to the docks as well as side secured. For any other fishing(tuna, dorado, white sea bass, yellowtail, etc.) swim platforms do not get in the way.

Here is a picture of the swim platform on mine.
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff253/Scotte28516/Picture196.jpg

SORRY buy i have to disagree! Evidentely you have never sportfished. ALMOST ALL OF THE FISH I FISH FOR WILL ALMOST ALWAYS GO UNDER THE BOAT. KEEPING THE LINE AWAY FROM THE SWIM PLATFORM IS A NIGNT MARE UNLESS YOU STEP OUT OF THE BOAT AND STAND. Try that in 4 to 6 foot seas it is impossible to work the lines and hold on.A swim platform will cut a line and almost always the linewill get between boat and swim platform and just brake under pressure.
A a swim platform on a sport fish boat is a no no ........Howerever it is fun to put about 5 goog looking ladies on the thing and watch them kick watter and giggle tim

SportFishCruising
07-26-2010, 09:00 PM
- hmmm... a tough choice to make... a true sportfishing boat... or giggling ladies on a swim platform
- that's two different types of fishing aint it? ;)

Tim Powell
07-26-2010, 09:10 PM
- hmmm... a tough choice to make... a true sportfishing boat... or giggling ladies on a swim platform
- that's two different types of fishing aint it? ;)

ONLY YOU WOULD RESPOND WITH THAT ....//// YOU MAY THINK OF A REMIVABLE ONE AND ENJOY THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS .HOWS THAT FOR SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY TIM

rsmith
07-26-2010, 09:14 PM
hmmm... a tough choice to make... a true sportfishing boat... or giggling ladies on a swim platform ;)
never the two should mix :(

Big fish always try to go under the boat. If your intent is on big game fishing.Any chance of losing a fish you have spent hundereds of hours trolling for and 10's of thousands of $ looking for is not worth it. I lost a very large bluefin afew years ago when he went under the boat and as I spun the boat to keep him from going under the wire leader caught in a gap between the ss rub rail sections. Needless to say the 12/0 double strength hook straightened out and the fish swam away. All the rubrail joints near my cockpit are now welded.that fish would have been worth about $25k for sushi.
But then again if your looking to catch girls........

hattitude
07-26-2010, 09:19 PM
I know one case off the San Diego coast where a swim platform got in the way while fishing.

A 50' Ocean, with a teak swim platform, was backing down hard on a striped marlin in rough seas. The swim step caught some water and broke-off, went under the boat, and caused some damage to his props......

Now why he had to back down so hard on a striped marlin I'm not sure.... :)

rsmith
07-26-2010, 09:33 PM
this blue was about 20 feet down seconds after the pic was taken he shot across the back of the boat. If a swim platform was there he would have been history

The guy in the pic is my son. He just left today for his third deployment in the Afganastan conflict any prayers and support for our troops is apreciated.

jim rosenthal
07-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Maybe it depends on the size of the swim platform. Some of them don't stick out all that far..

Walter P
07-26-2010, 09:57 PM
And yes we will all pray for his safe return to fish another day with you.

I am no longer a fisherman (the only fish allowed on my boat is filleted and broiled) but it seems logical that a platform would be a hindrance not an asset. The examples are proof enough. I must admit I never considered the butt joint of the rub rail to be a problem, but I now see where it could be. Thanks for the heads up.

Walt

Boatsb
07-26-2010, 10:03 PM
No matter how large or small a platform is in the way when backing down hard. They will screw up the boats ability to back down hard in seas. At least until they break off.

most people will not have the problem with them but some will. It's all about how you fish and for what. If you are trolling a platform may be in the way.

Genesis
07-26-2010, 10:06 PM
I nearly tore mine off CLEAN backing down on a Marlin.

That was that - I took it off. Since I also dive, I put on a dismountable dive ladder, which IMHO is a much better option if you want in and out anyway. More sturdy BY FAR than the dinky ladder on the platform, and yet when you don't want it, it's NOT in the way.

C. Edmund
07-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Well seems like folks feel strongly both ways.

We are not likely to do the type of fishing that requires hard back downs. Someone mentioned perhaps platforms that are removable -- and I wondered if those were available.

Anyone know?

Avenger
07-27-2010, 12:58 AM
A dedicated fisherman will tell you that the platform's got to go.

Re; the previous posts on West Coast boats: Keep in mind, a lot of West Coast fishing is done off the bow because they like to sight cast. They tend to have big rails and livewells up front because of this.

East Coast guys, particularly in the Northeast are partial to standup gear with short rods, so platforms are a no-no.

I took the platform off my boat for fishing purposes. However, since it's a Convertible and I'd like to be able to convert to cruising use I would be very interested in any ideas about making the platform foldable or easily removeable.

Scotte28516
07-27-2010, 01:19 AM
SORRY buy i have to disagree! Evidentely you have never sportfished. ALMOST ALL OF THE FISH I FISH FOR WILL ALMOST ALWAYS GO UNDER THE BOAT. KEEPING THE LINE AWAY FROM THE SWIM PLATFORM IS A NIGNT MARE UNLESS YOU STEP OUT OF THE BOAT AND STAND. Try that in 4 to 6 foot seas it is impossible to work the lines and hold on.A swim platform will cut a line and almost always the linewill get between boat and swim platform and just brake under pressure.
A a swim platform on a sport fish boat is a no no ........Howerever it is fun to put about 5 goog looking ladies on the thing and watch them kick watter and giggle tim
Ummm, evidently you are not familiar with west coast boats! I have sport fished for over 30 years, and we here on the west coast have swim platforms. I fish the hell out of my boat for albacore, yellowfin, big eye, blue fin, dorado, shark(thresher and mako), white sea bass, yellowtail, and when the fishing is dead here, we go for the bottom fish, such as calico bass, spotted bass, cabazon, etc. I do Six Pacs if you ever want to learn how to fish! I've also done backdowns on my previous swim step equipped sportfishe that has brought water over the transom, without getting caught and broken off. A competent fisherman can keep up with the boat when backing or maneuvering. Most east coast boats do not have platforms. I've fished tournaments in Cabo San Lucas, and loads of boats(more than not) have swim platforms.
As for your "Nignt mare", BS! Fish will usually go under the boat and the problem is keeping them away from the props and rudders, not the swim platform. If a 2 1/2 foot platform 1 foot above the water is your biggest problem, then you stink at fishing! I have NEVER had a fish break off due to a swim platform. All you have to do is keep the rod tip out past the platform if the fish is dragging the line close. East Coast and West Coast are ALWAYS different. That's why we have full length bow railing here and you all have puny stuff that doesn't go past half of the fore deck.

Scotte28516
07-27-2010, 01:26 AM
A dedicated fisherman will tell you that the platform's got to go.

Re; the previous posts on West Coast boats: Keep in mind, a lot of West Coast fishing is done off the bow because they like to sight cast. They tend to have big rails and livewells up front because of this.

East Coast guys, particularly in the Northeast are partial to standup gear with short rods, so platforms are a no-no.

I took the platform off my boat for fishing purposes. However, since it's a Convertible and I'd like to be able to convert to cruising use I would be very interested in any ideas about making the platform foldable or easily removeable.
Completely WRONG!! The only fishing done off of the bow is when you're on the hook or drifting bottom fishing. Most of the fishing is either trolling or paddy fishing. Very few boats have livewells up front here, but some, like mine does have a 20 gallon bait tank on the bow. My main bait tank is in the cockpit, which is standard here.

I suggest you look at Yachtworld.com and look at all of the west coast(CA, OR, WA) boats, and you will see that most are the same.

By the way, "evidently you have never sportfished"........ here is an from an article article. The boat had the swim platform since it left the factory.....

Striking it rich: California fishermen boated the second- and third-largest marlin in the $1.375 million 16th annual Bisbee's Black & Blue Jackpot Tournament held Oct. 22-24 in Cabo San Lucas Cabo San Lucas (popularly known as just Cabo) is a small city at the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula at , in the municipality of Los Cabos in the state of Baja California Sur, Mexico. , Mexico.

Andras A. Hites of Lafayette hooked a 563-pound black marlin aboard Public Affair, which earned $393,098 in the contest. Marshall G. Hugo of Corona del Mar caught a 527-pound blue from the Hattfisher, which won $350,168.

The contest drew a field of 159 boats. Of the 168 billfish billfish

Any of several long-jawed fishes, especially those in the family Istiophoridae, including marlins, spearfishes, and sailfishes. The name is also applied to the gar, needlefish, and sauries (family Scomberesocidae), as well as to the swordfish (family Xiphiidae). that were landed, 149 were released and 19 were weighed in that met the 300-pound weight minimum.

More on Mexico: The second annual $150,000 Marina El Cid Billfish Classic Tournament will be held Wednesday through Nov. 17 in Mazatlan.
COPYRIGHT 1996 Daily News
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1996, Gale Group. All rights reserved. Gale Group is a Thomson Corporation Company.

Note the comment regarding the Hattfisher....

rsmith
07-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Completely WRONG!! The only fishing done off of the bow is when you're on the hook or drifting bottom fishing. Most of the fishing is either trolling or paddy fishing. Very few boats have livewells up front here, but some, like mine does have a 20 gallon bait tank on the bow. My main bait tank is in the cockpit, which is standard here.

I suggest you look at Yachtworld.com and look at all of the west coast(CA, OR, WA) boats, and you will see that most are the same.

By the way, "evidently you have never sportfished"........ here is an from an article article. The boat had the swim platform since it left the factory.....

Striking it rich: California fishermen boated the second- and third-largest marlin in the $1.375 million 16th annual Bisbee's Black & Blue Jackpot Tournament held Oct. 22-24 in Cabo San Lucas Cabo San Lucas (popularly known as just Cabo) is a small city at the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula at , in the municipality of Los Cabos in the state of Baja California Sur, Mexico. , Mexico.

Andras A. Hites of Lafayette hooked a 563-pound black marlin aboard Public Affair, which earned $393,098 in the contest. Marshall G. Hugo of Corona del Mar caught a 527-pound blue from the Hattfisher, which won $350,168.

The contest drew a field of 159 boats. Of the 168 billfish billfish

Any of several long-jawed fishes, especially those in the family Istiophoridae, including marlins, spearfishes, and sailfishes. The name is also applied to the gar, needlefish, and sauries (family Scomberesocidae), as well as to the swordfish (family Xiphiidae). that were landed, 149 were released and 19 were weighed in that met the 300-pound weight minimum.

More on Mexico: The second annual $150,000 Marina El Cid Billfish Classic Tournament will be held Wednesday through Nov. 17 in Mazatlan.
COPYRIGHT 1996 Daily News
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1996, Gale Group. All rights reserved. Gale Group is a Thomson Corporation Company.

Note the comment regarding the Hattfisher....

I'm sooo impressed with your diatribe. However the first rule of anything is if it serves no purpose for what your doing it shouldnt be there.Especialy for fishing because your either going to step on it, trip on it, get stuck with it,slip on it etc. Cause as mr murphy says its gona cause problems sooner or later. Ive caught a few marlin too over 500lb and most come to the boat pretty dead, its the2-300lb fish that come to the transom greenand cause problems. But to each his own.

C. Edmund
07-27-2010, 10:49 AM
rsmith I hear you on not adding anything with no purpose -- but in my case the platform would serve several purposes -- thus the question.

The convertibles that are used exclusively for fishing are probably a tiny minority of the C's out there. I would say there are, among pre owned convertibles from the 90's and before, as many that never fish as there are those that only fish.

Our usage is and will continue to be mixed -- and include swimming, snorkeling, kayaking and exploring with dink as much as fishing or more. In addition, we do some of our own cleaning and maintenance and a platform helps with those tasks.

As for fishing, I can envision instances where it could help or hurt. I would think a platform would be preferable to rubbing a prop or rudder in some cases. I can see cases where a fish could use the platform to break the line also.

I guess the replies here seem to be mixed also.

But again, as the OP, I am not coming at this from someone with say -- a 68 foot Paul Mann or Carolina Custom -- that will do nothing but fish big game out of Oregon Inlet. (can you say Mann on the Hatt forum?) I will do "all of the above" -- but don't want to ruin the boat for fishing either to accomodate other cruising.

jim rosenthal
07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
There's a lot of useful information here, from people that clearly have a great deal more experience than I do. Please keep it polite, folks, and present what you have to say without demeaning each other. There's enough room here for everyone's point of view. If answers to legitimate questions- such as questions about whether or not to have a swim platform on the boat- degenerate into shouting or put-down matches, it makes members afraid to ask about anything or ask for help in making decisions about what to put on their boats and how to use them. We should avoid that- it doesn't help anyone and arguably it hurts what we are trying to do.

The point of this forum is to share knowledge and information and make it available to all. Please keep that in mind when you post on this forum- please.

Avenger
07-27-2010, 11:56 AM

Strange, I kind of thought we were saying about the same thing, but I'm "Completely WRONG!!" ?

Here's some pictures from last year's Bisbees. Serious tounament boats, not casual fishermen. Lots of livewells (bait tanks, if you want to get into a semantic argument) and big bowrails. Seems to me they do a lot of fishing on the bow, you certainly won't see anything like that on an east coast boat.

http://i31.tinypic.com/i3xi83.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/1sds7c.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/2vmykxl.jpg

http://i30.tinypic.com/295944w.jpg

You admit that your own boat has a bait tank on the bow, and you comment about the tiny bow rails on East Coast boats, then you say all West Coast boats are pretty much the same. Do they all also come with a rude, obnoxious captain?

P.S. Sorry Jim, I was typing at the same time you were. This is the last I'll have to say on the issue.

rsmith
07-27-2010, 12:33 PM
"Why can't everyone just get along?"
Quote from Rodney King

hatteras 1985
07-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Never. They are unnatural and they detract from whatever looks a boat has going for it. Plus they get beat up too easily when docking, so the majority of the swim platforms you see in a marina are uneven or missing chunks of fiberglass.

LBDboater
07-28-2010, 01:30 AM
Never. They are unnatural and they detract from whatever looks a boat has going for it. Plus they get beat up too easily when docking, so the majority of the swim platforms you see in a marina are uneven or missing chunks of fiberglass.

Wow... Someone needs assistance in docking lessons. It really isn't that hard to compensate for a 2-3 foot platform on the rear, especially with twin screws. Bad seamanship and docking performances are a pet peeve of mine, only when they're the normal and not an exception, but don't be slamming the platform into the dock. They're easy to remember, easy to maneuver around, and easy to protect if you have any clue about what your doing...

C. Edmund
07-28-2010, 09:17 AM

0 for 4.

rsmith
07-28-2010, 09:36 AM
0 for 4.

You can count me on both sides. A couple years ago I had a bunch of girls from the local strip club chartered the boat for a fishing trip. In about mid day a couple wanted to know if we could stop the boat to swim.I had to tell them no I didnt have any way to get them back on the boat(if I only had a swim platform then)

aurora
07-28-2010, 09:39 AM
that incident should put an end to all of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C. Edmund
07-28-2010, 09:47 AM
You can count me on both sides. A couple years ago I had a bunch of girls from the local strip club chartered the boat for a fishing trip. In about mid day a couple wanted to know if we could stop the boat to swim.I had to tell them no I didnt have any way to get them back on the boat(if I only had a swim platform then)

That would be a significant opportunity cost for sure. Did they want to ride your dink? (had to ask).

Seems to me there are a couple schools of thought here. Seems like one of them is a nearly militant fishing purist view that anything not related to landing fish is a big no no on the boat.

If you're running charters I would agree. That's not what I do nor is it how the majority of C's are used either.

Boatsb
07-28-2010, 10:43 AM
I have no platform on my 41C but I have a ladder that has been used by many topless women to reboard. As I remember the CG requires a method of reboarding anyway so I am happily compliant.

Shame on you for not having a ladder.

BlackPearl36c
07-28-2010, 10:56 AM
It is alot more fun to have to "haul" said topless women back into the boat all wet and shiny from suntan oil then let them climb a ladder lol

The Hedgehog
07-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Wow... Someone needs assistance in docking lessons. It really isn't that hard to compensate for a 2-3 foot platform on the rear, especially with twin screws. Bad seamanship and docking performances are a pet peeve of mine, only when they're the normal and not an exception, but don't be slamming the platform into the dock. They're easy to remember, easy to maneuver around, and easy to protect if you have any clue about what your doing...

+1.

No joke. If you can't dock a convertible without hitting a swim platform, you don't need to leave the dock. Period.

I actually think that they look good on the back of a convertible. If you are at serious about being able to back down, I bet that Latham or someone like that could build one that flips up hydraulically while you fish.

rsmith
07-28-2010, 11:39 AM
+1.

No joke. If you can't dock a convertible without hitting a swim platform, you don't need to leave the dock. Period.

I actually think that they look good on the back of a convertible. If you are at serious about being able to back down, I bet that Latham or someone like that could build one that flips up hydraulically while you fish.

If you had a flat transom that would be ok.But most hatts are pretty curved at the transom.So putting the hinge point that far out wouldnt buy you anything. I saw a 63 searay with one of those platforms with a seadoo rxt mounted on it smash the crap out of it and the doo at boat harbor/marsh harbor a few years ago. The guy got soo paniced he did it twice for good measure.

hatteras 1985
07-28-2010, 01:09 PM

I have never docked a boat with a swim platform, but I could see how they could be a pain. Like when you're docking at the Big Game Club in an interior slip at 4PM when the current is running rapids around you. I still think swim platforms are a liability and are ugly. I also think bowthrusters are for wimps.

A removable ladder from the transom door works just fine.

34Hatt
07-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Wow 4 pages all ready and lots of B.S :)

Well I had my boat a few years before I added one. Have done offshore standup before I had it and after adding and it is not a problem at all. I also was smart enough not to put a S.S rail around it why you would do that I have no Idea. Even at anchor I don't want Inflatables rubbing on the S.S and screw heads ;). I put a nice big rubber one on and it actually helps keep line's away from the running gear, you can get little cut's into the rubber but that's the price you pay :) I have never blamed the platform for losing a fish but feel it has help land them.

As for backing down if it breaks off well good it was a POS and someone did a shitty job on the Install! Backing down is no harder on them then sitting out on the hook chunking with it slapping into the water all night long. Hell it was like a water spot shooting water up between it and the transom. Yes it was a Rough night that night not normal. And guess what it didn't fall off or even losen up guess that one was done right. Heard of them breaking off in habors during storms and the boat was on a mooring but then again it was a Bayliner good thing I didn't use that as a model. So that's my feeling on them!

Genesis
07-28-2010, 02:09 PM
When I ripped mine up the mount was fine - it was the platform itself that pulled through on the bolts. I fixed it, but it would have happened again, so why keep punishing myself?

I was backing down "a bit hard" when I did it - the cockpit was pretty-well flooded :D

That fishie wasn't gonna get away if I could help it (he didn't)

I think the ladder is more useful anyway, in that it's a LOT stronger than the thing attached to the platform (I always wondered if I was going to rip the ladder off the platform trying to reboard with doubles - ~100lbs of tanks on my back after a dive), it angles away from the transom, it's easier to climb, and it's right there at the door. The platform I had was IMHO too narrow to be comfortably sat on by a swimmer. The Armstrong ladder, on the other hand, was just plain rock solid, angled right, and with the hand-grab on the inside of the transom door it was perfect when coming out of the water after a dive even with heavy double tanks on - and you can climb the "T-bar" style ladders with fins ON (BIG safety enhancement - take off your fins, toss 'em up, lose the line and if there's ANY current you got a little problem....)

If you don't envision yourself doing a "flood the cockpit" style backdown on a big fish - or aren't into technical diving where you have people coming aboard after a dive with heavy loads in potentially rough conditions then a platform is fine. We fished for a couple of years offshore with it on the boat without a problem, but it was that one time with a big guy that I had to go hard-reverse that caused trouble......

rsmith
07-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Wow 4 pages all ready and lots of B.S :)

Well I had my boat a few years before I added one. Have done offshore standup before I had it and after adding and it is not a problem at all. I also was smart enough not to put a S.S rail around it why you would do that I have no Idea. Even at anchor I don't want Inflatables rubbing on the S.S and screw heads ;). I put a nice big rubber one on and it actually helps keep line's away from the running gear, you can get little cut's into the rubber but that's the price you pay :) I have never blamed the platform for losing a fish but feel it has help land them.

As for backing down if it breaks off well good it was a POS and someone did a shitty job on the Install! Backing down is no harder on them then sitting out on the hook chunking with it slapping into the water all night long. Hell it was like a water spot shooting water up between it and the transom. Yes it was a Rough night that night not normal. And guess what it didn't fall off or even losen up guess that one was done right. Heard of them breaking off in habors during storms and the boat was on a mooring but then again it was a Bayliner good thing I didn't use that as a model. So that's my feeling on them!
If you reread what I said the rubrail that goes around the boat was the problem and you have one too. Mabe you can work around it with light tackle stand up but with a chair bent but rig and 80-130lb tackle it would be a problem.We also routinly pull small tuna and mahi over the transom that would be a problem too.

34Hatt
07-28-2010, 04:22 PM
If you reread what I said the rubrail that goes around the boat was the problem and you have one too. Mabe you can work around it with light tackle stand up but with a chair bent but rig and 80-130lb tackle it would be a problem.We also routinly pull small tuna and mahi over the transom that would be a problem too.

Reread it you got to be kidding it hurt enough the first time. Might have missed that thought we were talking swim platform here MY mistake.
We just use the bent butt 130's in swivel rod holder's is that a big enough rod???? Also take's care of the rub rail problem!

rsmith
07-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Reread it you got to be kidding it hurt enough the first time. Might have missed that thought we were talking swim platform here MY mistake.
We just use the bent butt 130's in swivel rod holder's is that a big enough rod???? Also take's care of the rub rail problem!

the only time we fish out of the rod holders is with the deepdrop rigs.I dont see how you could deepdrop with a platform

Scotte28516
07-28-2010, 09:02 PM

We also pull lots of yellowfin tuna, albacore, dorado(mahi), and yellowtail, but here most every fishing boat also has a gaff. We bring the fish to the boat then gaff(or net) to get them on the boat.

Scotte28516
07-28-2010, 09:08 PM
+1.

+1
Exactly!

Tim Powell
07-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Ummm, evidently you are not familiar with west coast boats! I have sport fished for over 30 years, and we here on the west coast have swim platforms. I fish the hell out of my boat for albacore, yellowfin, big eye, blue fin, dorado, shark(thresher and mako), white sea bass, yellowtail, and when the fishing is dead here, we go for the bottom fish, such as calico bass, spotted bass, cabazon, etc. I do Six Pacs if you ever want to learn how to fish! I've also done backdowns on my previous swim step equipped sportfishe that has brought water over the transom, without getting caught and broken off. A competent fisherman can keep up with the boat when backing or maneuvering. Most east coast boats do not have platforms. I've fished tournaments in Cabo San Lucas, and loads of boats(more than not) have swim platforms.
As for your "Nignt mare", BS! Fish will usually go under the boat and the problem is keeping them away from the props and rudders, not the swim platform. If a 2 1/2 foot platform 1 foot above the water is your biggest problem, then you stink at fishing! I have NEVER had a fish break off due to a swim platform. All you have to do is keep the rod tip out past the platform if the fish is dragging the line close. East Coast and West Coast are ALWAYS different. That's why we have full length bow railing here and you all have puny stuff that doesn't go past half of the fore deck.

Au the land of fruites and nuts has spoken///Come fish where they grow big pirates cove organ inlet / Hatteras fight one obout 600 to a thousand that has sounded. keep her out of the swim platform is a night mare and props and rutters just one more to worry about..I can honestely say i have never seen a carolina boat (sport fisherman) with a platforn.
THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT JUST OUR WAY. An as for bow railes you guys must like to wash and shine them cause that is all they are good for Tim

Tim Powell
07-28-2010, 09:23 PM
I have never docked a boat with a swim platform, but I could see how they could be a pain. Like when you're docking at the Big Game Club in an interior slip at 4PM when the current is running rapids around you. I still think swim platforms are a liability and are ugly. I also think bowthrusters are for wimps.

A removable ladder from the transom door works just fine.

anen

newinlet
07-28-2010, 10:02 PM
This thread is a joke. Right. Lots of converts.have platforms and lots do not. I have one and it has never caused us to loose a fish. Maybe it could but we use our boat for other things than just hard core fishing.
Insulting a man for giving his opinion on an Internet forum is the only thing more foolish than this topic or at least where this topic is going ,

rsmith
07-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Au the land of fruites and nuts has spoken///Come fish where they grow big pirates cove organ inlet / Hatteras fight one obout 600 to a thousand that has sounded. keep her out of the swim platform is a night mare and props and rutters just one more to worry about..I can honestely say i have never seen a carolina boat (sport fisherman) with a platforn.
THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT JUST OUR WAY. An as for bow railes you guys must like to wash and shine them cause that is all they are good for Tim
right on Tim!!! just kidding jees some of these guys realy take this stuff personaly lmao

rsmith
07-28-2010, 10:49 PM
We also pull lots of yellowfin tuna, albacore, dorado(mahi), and yellowtail, but here most every fishing boat also has a gaff. We bring the fish to the boat then gaff(or net) to get them on the boat.
If you can gaff schoolie dolphin your a better man than me

first big boat
07-28-2010, 11:42 PM
so for the heck of it I just went and looked at the last 3 years of the Hatteras/Bertram Shootouts pictures. didn't see any platforms on either side. looked at the pirates cove and white marlin tournys. saw 1. right coast fishing for big fish don't generally use them it appears. I was at the Ft. Lauderdale, Miami and Palm Beach shows this year and don't recall seeing few, if any, boats with platforms.

do they mix? sure, if you want one, get one, if not, don't. but for the majority of right coast billfish boats, you don't see them.

and what is it with the left coast and those railings up front? my crew and fisherman are never up front when we are fishing. cockpit only unless on a bathroom run. guess it depends on the fishing your doing.

rsmith
07-29-2010, 12:16 AM
so for the heck of it I just went and looked at the last 3 years of the Hatteras/Bertram Shootouts pictures. didn't see any platforms on either side. looked at the pirates cove and white marlin tournys. saw 1. right coast fishing for big fish don't generally use them it appears. I was at the Ft. Lauderdale, Miami and Palm Beach shows this year and don't recall seeing few, if any, boats with platforms.

do they mix? sure, if you want one, get one, if not, don't. but for the majority of right coast billfish boats, you don't see them.

and what is it with the left coast and those railings up front? my crew and fisherman are never up front when we are fishing. cockpit only unless on a bathroom run. guess it depends on the fishing your doing.
your guys go up on the bow to pee? I seem to remember something about peeing into the wind LOL

TopHattandTails
07-29-2010, 06:50 AM

The reason you don't see them at the boat shows is the same reason you see a lot of boats without bow rails at the shows - the future owner may not want it and it costs more. They'd rather add it at sale time. The platforms have 1 or 2 types hydraulic or not. If getting a hydraulic, pipewelders has a typical wait as well. Mfg's aren't going to speculate on a pipwelders platform...($$$).

C. Edmund
07-29-2010, 08:40 AM
The reason you don't see them at the boat shows is the same reason you see a lot of boats without bow rails at the shows - the future owner may not want it and it costs more. They'd rather add it at sale time. The platforms have 1 or 2 types hydraulic or not. If getting a hydraulic, pipewelders has a typical wait as well. Mfg's aren't going to speculate on a pipwelders platform...($$$).

Correct -- and you also won't see them at boat shows with dingys or davit cranes generally -- or any number of other things people do to personalize their boats.

Some posters in this thread also seem stuck in the mindset of a hardcore fishing boat - period, end of discussion. That's where the design of a SF convertible came from, but that's hardly the only application of this boat set up today. Bow rails and swim platforms and other add-ons make this awesome boat set up a much more social and versatile boat.

And no, you want see those add ons at the commercial fishing docks or in the Big Rock very likely.

34Hatt
07-29-2010, 09:01 AM
A lot of BBF going on here.

That stands for mine is Bigger, Better and Faster :)

Well I got to go get the Boat ready Big weekend coming up, have fun Beating the dead horse ;)

rsmith
07-29-2010, 09:03 AM
HAHA this thread is pretty amusing who thought swim platforms would generate this much controversy. I havent seen so much anst since I commented on the 60c roll tendencys.

saltshaker
07-29-2010, 09:25 AM
HAHA this thread is pretty amusing who thought swim platforms would generate this much controversy. I havent seen so much anst since I commented on the 60c roll tendencys. Similar to a past thread about putting a bow thruster in a 55C. I prefer SF but don't fish. I've had swim platforms on previous boats and never had a problem docking the boat. For the occasional fishing trip the platform seemed OK but I don't think I'd want it if I was a serious big game fisherman. I also wouldn't want a Palm beach rail or no bow rail as I have 2 small boys and the rail make line handling safer for my wife. I guess my point is each boater uses his/her boat differently. Fit the boat out for what suits you best. If you cruise more than you fish then go for the platform and learn to work around it when you go fishing.

Genesis
07-29-2010, 09:42 AM
On bow rails, if you want to go forward on a boat in any sort of sea - or even just while underway - without a proper one that is high enough and runs around the bow area to a sufficient distance that it is useful to keep from inadvertently going overboard, be my guest.

I won't do it - it's manifestly unsafe. This is one of those things that, in my opinion, marks the owner of the vessel in question as someone who is interested in cosmetics before safety, and frankly, I'd prefer not to be on the water with him.

rsmith
07-29-2010, 10:12 AM
On bow rails, if you want to go forward on a boat in any sort of sea - or even just while underway - without a proper one that is high enough and runs around the bow area to a sufficient distance that it is useful to keep from inadvertently going overboard, be my guest.

I won't do it - it's manifestly unsafe. This is one of those things that, in my opinion, marks the owner of the vessel in question as someone who is interested in cosmetics before safety, and frankly, I'd prefer not to be on the water with him.
I like how the boats with no rail have have no non skid on the fordeck. seems that mates are expendable these days.

Avenger
07-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Fit the boat out for what suits you best. If you cruise more than you fish then go for the platform and learn to work around it when you go fishing.Exactly where this all should have ended up in the first place. :rolleyes:

C. Edmund
07-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Similar to a past thread about putting a bow thruster in a 55C. I prefer SF but don't fish. I've had swim platforms on previous boats and never had a problem docking the boat. For the occasional fishing trip the platform seemed OK but I don't think I'd want it if I was a serious big game fisherman. I also wouldn't want a Palm beach rail or no bow rail as I have 2 small boys and the rail make line handling safer for my wife. I guess my point is each boater uses his/her boat differently. Fit the boat out for what suits you best. If you cruise more than you fish then go for the platform and learn to work around it when you go fishing.

Which is the kind of answer I was looking for. Seems like some of the serious big game fishermen almost resent a SF being used for anything but serious fishing. Maybe if the bite was a bit better and the economy was a lot better, all of them would be used for that. But we're over fished and over taxed and under drilled (for oil) -- thus a less expensive and less serious usage of a SF is a great usage and fits the times we are in.

I just happen to think a SF is the best boat design going. I also happen to like someone else paying several million for a boat that will be a few years old, 56 - 65 feet long, and cruise at 37 knots -- and handling all the rigging -- for when I do want to go serious fishing a time or two a year.

I cannot pay what they pay for a boat, for fuel, not to mention their knowledge of doing it 160 days a year -- and I don't want to even try. But I love the SF designs nonetheless.

rsmith
07-29-2010, 11:13 AM
I see a pretty good number of convertibles with swim platforms, and while some are obviously never fished -- some with platforms do appear to be fished some (in that they have fighting chairs and other signs of fishing).

How big of an impediment to fishing is a swim platform on a C?

Your question was in reguards to fishing. I think it got answered mabe.LOL

C. Edmund
07-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Your question was in reguards to fishing. I think it got answered mabe.LOL

Oh it did -- and maybe the question was clumsy. What I really wanted to know was would it "ruin" the boat for ANY FISHING AT ALL if a platform was added.

I think the general consensus is no -- it would not ruin it for fishing-- but it might be a negative in a serious backdown of a large pelagic or the boating of a large one also. Meanwhile, it might actually help in some isolated cases.

And found out the serious fishers find them an abomination.

Scott Mather
07-29-2010, 07:36 PM
To all of you who are now going to remove your platforms, I could really use one for our 37' Hat. Convertible. It does not get in the way of landing a walleye or perch up here on lake Erie.

Note: we also have a tower and outriggers that get a lot of use also!

Tim Powell
07-29-2010, 10:29 PM
just to show you my hart colors. i have a fiberglass platrorm and the ss brackets u can have it came off of a 45 convertable. Just call taylor boat works in morehead city nc ask for john mccallam it is yours tell him tim said you can have it work out all particulars with him good fishing, and enjoy the ladies giggling. It is in fairely good condition probley about a 8 or 9 nothing a little glass and paint wont cure. Tim

THIS IS SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY AT ITS FINEST

Scott Mather
08-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Tim, would love to have it.

We have family in New Bern, I can have them run down and pick it up.

Thanks,

Scott

C. Edmund
08-01-2010, 07:30 PM
just to show you my hart colors. i have a fiberglass platrorm and the ss brackets u can have it came off of a 45 convertable. Just call taylor boat works in morehead city nc ask for john mccallam it is yours tell him tim said you can have it work out all particulars with him good fishing, and enjoy the ladies giggling. It is in fairely good condition probley about a 8 or 9 nothing a little glass and paint wont cure. Tim

THIS IS SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY AT ITS FINEST

If Tim says it's an 8 or a 9, then most folks will call it a 9.5 or 10.

But wait. You say it came off a Hatt 45 convertible? Hmmm. Was the PO of Tim's boat a commie?

Tim Powell
08-02-2010, 12:53 PM

I will have to agree wih youconserning safety I am of the impression that no bow rails look good on the carolina style boats.. take a look at the new 60 foot hatteras gt no bow rails.It does not mean it is right but just as you say cosmedic.But i also belive it is somewhat a mantance issue. Tim

Tim Powell
08-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Tim, would love to have it.

We have family in New Bern, I can have them run down and pick it up.

Thanks,

Scott

b sure to contact JOHN first tim AND IT IS NOT A 9 OR 10 IT IS PAINTED WITH NON SKID WITH SOME DOCK RASH BUT NO BRAKES JUST PURELY COSMEDIC

Scott Mather
08-02-2010, 03:03 PM
b sure to contact JOHN first tim AND IT IS NOT A 9 OR 10 IT IS PAINTED WITH NON SKID WITH SOME DOCK RASH BUT NO BRAKES JUST PURELY COSMEDIC

done deal will get a hold of him.

Scott,