PDA

View Full Version : 53 Hatteras Convertible

Passages
05-07-2005, 06:32 PM
I'll soon be calling a broker on a local listing for a 1976 53' Convertible with a custom flybridge, 12-71's and recent refit (or so they say.)

The link to the boat is :

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&checked_boats=1305228&slim=quick&

Would like to hear from the forum on any common issues or suggestions with this model.

Genesis
05-07-2005, 09:33 PM
I like the enclosed bridge deck! That's nice.... you can stay cool in the hot months.....

skindr
05-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Having just sold my 1973 53' convt. after living with it for 15 yrs. I feel qualified to comment on this boat. Mine had the 71N's, easy to work on, burned 40gph @ 17kt. (no tower) cruise and was a "tank " in rough seas. Very liveable configuration (3 heads, galley up). One big plus is that you can pull up next to 2million$ plus Vikings, etc. and few can tell that your boat cost less than a 30' outboard. Lots of glass for the money. The only negatives were the cost of maintenance , since I am not handy, runs around 20-30,000 per year not counting dockage. Also the engine room required you to crawl around on your knees and become a contortionist to check the batteries on the outboard side of the Detroits.The side windows frequently developed cracks (even though they were tempered) due to poor design characteristics putting undue weight from the bridge on these windows. All in all I hated to get rid of the boat but my knees rebelled from crawling around too much. Good luck.