PDA

View Full Version : New Water Heater connections?

MikeP
05-10-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm installing a new water heater to replace the original one on our 53MY which, after 30 years (not bad!) has started leaking at the lower joint.

The new one should be here today or tomorrow and I am wondering if there is any "marine" reason that I should NOT use the common stainless-covered hoses that are used for home water installations?

I'm sure that the oem copper piping will not align with the new heater's fittings so I'll have to re work it but was wondering if I need to do it with new copper tubing as or just cut the old pipe, install appropriate fittings, and attach using the SS hoses.

DCMY #92
05-10-2010, 08:32 AM
I would use copper. The home style stainless hoses are plastic hoses with a stainless cover. Over the years I have attempted to used various plastic hose and tubing materials under pressure. I've come not to trust them on the boat. The heat and vibration seems to get to them.

I've not used the stainless clad hoses or the newer plastic lines intended for home/RV water pipe. Maybe they have improved.

rwetherington
05-10-2010, 11:36 AM
that is what all the new Hatteras have on them. they go from sea tech piping to the off the shelf water heater adapters.