PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Cables

Jackman
04-23-2010, 08:31 AM
I need to replace the red throttle cables on my 32fb (They are cracked in places and water has made them extremely stiff). I'm sure they are original. The tranny cables are fine. Anybody have a good source for these? About how much is this stuff per foot?

yachtsmanbill
04-23-2010, 08:38 AM
I have a half dozen or so NEW Morse red jacket cables from 30-40ish foot boats. If you have a approximate length I will look through these for you. PM me and we'll discuss terms! ws

Jackman
04-23-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the offer yachtsmanbill...I'll measure the old ones this weekend and see what you have that will work. They're for a 32' Flybridge Hat. The ones in there now were fitted to the 454's when I had them and were already deteriorated before I even bought the boat. Long overdue. I think one of them was even looped at least once, which I want to try to avoid this time. I need the smooth throttle...right now my transition from not making way to being on plane is not smooth at all.

Thanks again. If you don't have something that will work do you have any suggestions on where to get them?

Banshee36
04-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Jackman<
If you replace your cables, do yourself a favor ad buy the Cablecraft cables from Rose Marine in Glousecter, MA. Yes they cost a little more, but boy you will be impressed and you will have to replace your detents in your throttles and gear Shifts , as they are that smooth. I have them on my old rig(1969 36 hatt) as well as my new rig, 45 custom Carolina. they are awesome.
JW

Jackman
04-26-2010, 06:50 AM
Here are my measurements (Throttle cable lines) yachtsmanbill...I'm gonna get estimates from other places just in case because I'd to have these ordered today or tomorrow.

Stbd Motor:

Engine: 19ft
Trans: 23ft

Port Motor:

Engine: 30ft
Trans: 32ft

We decided to get the measurements for the tranny shift cables as well. See what you have. Thanks!

Jackman
04-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Banshee,

Where did you get your detents? I got a quote from Rose Marine an if the cables are as good as you say I may go for it. The guy at I spoke with at Rose Marine suggested buying his controls because the cables are so smooth some folks with old controls complain of "creeping" while making way from the cable slipping because they are that good. Trying to decide if my controls are suitable...they are original. I think I am sold on the cablecraft stuff after he explained how they are made and perform. They may be too smooth for me and when I first use them I'll have to be careful I don't slam them to WOT!

jim rosenthal
04-27-2010, 11:33 PM
You might also look at Panish cables- their company makes controls and also manufactures their own cables.

Interestingly, Rob Panish told me that the smallest diameter cable that will do the job is the best one to use- the internal friction is lower. Also, making sure the cable is tied down every foot or so to eliminate lash is important as well.

If you are changing the old Morse cables out for new ones, you are going to be very pleasantly surprised at what the controls feel like with new cables. The two things that I did with my boat that REALLY made a difference in how much enjoyment I get from her were new cables and controls (I recommend Panish, for both, they are great) and the digital AC controllers, which are also great.

Jackman
04-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Jim,

You installed the electronic controls? I considered it but figured with my luck something would happen electronic-wise out and I'd get stuck offshore. I felt better about having a mechanical connection to the throttles. I figured a good quality cable and new detents and clutch in my current morse controls would be best for me. Hopefully its an improvement! We'll see this weekend when I install the new cables and the turbocator guages I ordered. Then its off for the first striper trip of the year and the annual boat check before tuner season hits!

jim rosenthal
04-28-2010, 10:52 PM
No, I have manual controls. The difference with new cables and controls was amazing- and I have a two-station boat. (I ran all the cables to the gears and throttles, not from one control to the next, by the way). The setup is critical on cable controls, but if you have good instructions and follow them carefully, you will be amazed. I was.

Jackman
05-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Banshee,

Thanks for the recommendation. Followed through with the Rose Marine cables and they are beyond awesome and worth the money. (We installed them this weekend!) Never knew throttling up and shifting trannies was supposed to be this easy and smooth! We got carried away and dressed up all of the main wiring bundles and encased them as well. We should have done all of this a long time ago..the engine bays are near perfect now!

A big thanks again!

Jack

jim rosenthal
05-03-2010, 11:11 AM
What did I tell you......you can see why these were such easy boats to run when they were new. The problem with control cables is that they will continue to work long after they ought to be changed out for new ones, and since they get slow and sticky gradually over a long time you don't notice as much as you should. They ought to be one-handed to work very easily, if they are set up correctly.