PDA

View Full Version : 65c

GCSI
04-05-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm in the market for a large sportfish and have narrowed the choice, a 65C is the last production boat standing. The customs were very tempting, but, the maintenance scares me a little..... Additionally, I like the heavy boats rather than light, narrow and fast. Looking at mid to late 90's boats.

Some variables are:

Have college age children (2 girls) that still enjoy playing with dad. Consequently, we have a minimum of 6 whenever we "go" anywhere.

Everyone enjoys diving and fishing. Anticipate flats boat on bow for backwater.

Spend quite a bit of time in Bahamas, will sleep on boat, sometimes on hook, sometimes at marina.

Will treat boat as condo and migrate on regular basis.

Occasional trips farther south towards Myaguana and Inagua.

After Bahamas burnout sets in, plan on cruising east coast, possibly Mississippi.

My plan is to Chug from port to port, only running at speed on fishing days. Hopefully, that will keep the fuel burn at only mildly outrageous.

Plan "B" is to purchase a displacement boat and tow a smaller (28-35) open boat to scratch the fishing itch.

In the last few weeks I've been dipping my toe into the market. Saying it's a buyers market may be the mother of all understatements!

I would welcome input from the forum members, I'm all ears.....

foleyjt
04-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Do you have any need for a cabin boy? I eat little, can clean up after myself.

Bayside Bert54
04-06-2010, 12:16 AM
It is a great buyers market ... but repairs are almost as much as ever. A 65 footer will eat $100k for an appetizer.

If you have owned a big boat before, you already know this.