PDA

View Full Version : Port Light leaks and replacement?

Mambeaux
12-27-2009, 07:31 PM
I have had a water leak in the stateroom that is pooling on the port side counter. I've started noticing a brown syrup looking stain under the port light in the head and also outside on the hull under the same port light.
Today I removed the port light and found that under it was holding a lot of water. I broke the port light removing it and will order a new one tomorrow.
Any tips on what to use bedding the new one and any advice at all?

aquacraig@shaw.ca
12-27-2009, 08:12 PM
I would recommend sikaflex. I think the 291 is a sealant and semi adhesive. The need for sealant is obvious but my thought is that a mild adhesive will help hold the light in place should slight twisting try to loosen the screws.
Craig

bobk
12-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Make sure the old caulk is not silicone. If it is, be sure the old stuff is thoroughly removed.

I would consider one of the weatherable 3M caulks, 4000???? The white will stay white.

Bob

spartonboat1
12-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Make sure the old caulk is not silicone. If it is, be sure the old stuff is thoroughly removed.

I would consider one of the weatherable 3M caulks, 4000???? The white will stay white.

Bob

Yes, use the 3M 4000, which is not a 'forever' adhesive, like the 5000. But the forever white 4000 is not the 4000, but a special code 4000 (4200?).

dcate
12-28-2009, 11:32 AM
I have had a water leak in the stateroom that is pooling on the port side counter. I've started noticing a brown syrup looking stain under the port light in the head and also outside on the hull under the same port light.
Today I removed the port light and found that under it was holding a lot of water. I broke the port light removing it and will order a new one tomorrow.
Any tips on what to use bedding the new one and any advice at all?

Any trouble getting them out?

2 bow port lights need replacing on my boat. The frames are water tight, it's "everything else" about these lights that's leaking.

I"m not expecting mine to just slide out. I"m expecting to have to chisel the frames out in a million pieces because of the glue.

How'd your's do?

Mambeaux
12-28-2009, 11:55 AM
I had to beat it out with a wooden hammer. It came out in four broken pieces.
Just ordered a new one....$217.93

REBrueckner
12-28-2009, 12:34 PM
While I don't know the style of ports on different models and years, if they are the plastic type, where the porthole insert (the main fixture which holds the portlight) is from the inside to the outer hull, with a separate flat trim ring around the insert against the hull exterior, removing the port fixture may not yield any benefit.

A leak might be due to a fault above the porthole level which admits water which drains down around the porthole, from the porthole gasket (between the portlight and the rim) or from an imperfect seal between the hull and the exterior trim ring. None of these leaks are solved via complete removal of the porthole fixture.

When you removed the porthole assembly did you find some dirt channels anywhere??...maybe voids in the caulk.....thats the sign of a water leak in and brings some dirt/dust etc along with it...anywhere you see clean caulk is NOT the leak you seek....

On my 1972 48 YF I had two ports which leaked on the stbd side of the aft cabin...I posted here annually three or maybe four times seeking solutions....never found the source of the leak...but it was not the portlight themselves..it came from somewhere higher and found it's way down....

ohiohatteras
12-28-2009, 03:31 PM
They have the complete assembly here.....

http://www.fuller.com/products_subcat.asp?cat=2&subcat=11

REBrueckner
12-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Yup, The frame and finishing ring in the second and thred photos are the ones aboard my 1972 YF. Only the external finish ring caulk keeps out water from the immediate hull exterior surface.