PDA

View Full Version : A mouse in the house.

stormchaser
11-29-2009, 07:02 PM
So...seems we might have a mouse or other rodent living on the boat. We can hear is scurrying around and munching on things. It seems to stay in the stern port corner of the salon. Like as if it was living in the wet bar or somewhere around there. We looked in the storage areas of the wet bar and don't see anything. I'll check under the ice maker in the morning...but are there any voids back there it could be in? Like between the floor or the salon/aft deck and the ceiling of the aft cabin? Or are the walls hollow?

yachtsmanbill
11-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Leave him a bowl with some GREEN anti freeze... ws

stormchaser
11-29-2009, 07:44 PM
We have dogs, too risky. He seems to be living in the void between the wetbar and the cabin side.

SKYCHENEY
11-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Then do it the old-fashioned way.

http://amandanewton.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/mousetrap.jpg

Mike36c
11-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Wired rat trap with peanut butter for bait, works every time.

GJD
11-29-2009, 09:53 PM
We got em with sticky paper last year. Tiniest little mice I've ever seen!

bigbill
11-30-2009, 02:36 PM
leave rat or mouse poison in an area that the dogs can't get to, the rodents will eat it and go for water,and die after drinking. they dont like salt water, so the wont drink the bilge water. if the boat is in fresh water they might drink the bilge water and die in the boat. that would make a bad smell, and you might not be able to get to the mouse to remove the dead body. bigbill

Walter P
11-30-2009, 06:32 PM
I would not recommend poison as it was stated, when they die and start to decompose, they smell bad. I would go with either a trap or a sticky board. Or get a cat, but don't feed it for a few days.

Walt

StratPlan61
12-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Place a 5gal bucket at the base of your stairs, then place a narrow (1"?) 'bridge out from the step even with the top of the bucket, with some peanut butter on the end. Make certain the bridge is long and goes to the center of the bucket. The mouse will walk out and fall in and not be able to climb out (no dead odors). If the creature is a Norway Rat it may not work as these guys carry climbing gear, carribiners, rope, etc., with them - so get a BIG cat with a Tazer.