PDA

View Full Version : 32 Volt Bulb Source ?

Brian Degulis
10-10-2009, 04:33 PM
I need to find some 32-34 Volt Tubular bulbs. These are medium screw base just like an ordinary bulb but tubular in shape.

Brian

SKYCHENEY
10-10-2009, 06:01 PM
I need to find some 32-34 Volt Tubular bulbs. These are medium screw base just like an ordinary bulb but tubular in shape.

Brian

The last time I bought those it was from Sams, but they were insanely expensive. I have since just used the Locomotive Cab bulbs from Grainger instead.

Brian Degulis
10-10-2009, 08:44 PM
The last time I bought those it was from Sams, but they were insanely expensive. I have since just used the Locomotive Cab bulbs from Grainger instead.

I didn't see anything in Graingers? Have you got a stock # ?

Brian

SKYCHENEY
10-10-2009, 09:53 PM
I didn't see anything in Graingers? Have you got a stock # ?

Brian

IE633, but it looks like those have gone up too.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1E633

Another option is converting to the two prong halogens. I have done that on some of my fixtures.

http://cgi.ebay.com/G4-JC-Type-Halogen-Lamp-34V-20W-20-watt-Light-Bulb_W0QQitemZ350018144431QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item517eb508af

Brian Degulis
10-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks I really need higher wattage the ones I'm replacing are 50W. These are on the 60C the base on the fixture is the same as our 61MY but the diffuser is diffrent on the 61 the diffuser is rectangular the glass comes down an inch or so from the frame giving it enough clearance for an A 19 or A21 bulb. On the 60C the diffuser is flat glass so there isn't any room for an ordinary bulb. I wonder if someome changed the diffusers?

Brian

SKYCHENEY
10-10-2009, 11:40 PM
On the ones that I have seen, the bulb is angled down if the diffuser is the drop down style and the bulb is horizontal if it has the flush diffuser.

Those 20w halogens are bright. I had use an adapter from the med screw base to bayonet base and then another adapter from the double bayonet to the G4 in order to make them work.

If you need different diffusers, I may have a few spares.

sandspur1966
10-12-2009, 08:42 AM
http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/

The last time I ordered I received a discount on a case from this site.

Give tehm a call and ask about a volume discount by the case.

If I remember correctly they were below 3 bucks a bulb.

stormchaser
10-12-2009, 09:12 AM
If you find them, please let me know, I could use some too...

SKYCHENEY
10-12-2009, 09:12 AM
http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/

The last time I ordered I received a discount on a case from this site.

Give tehm a call and ask about a volume discount by the case.

If I remember correctly they were below 3 bucks a bulb.

You didn't get the tubular 34v bulbs though, did you? I have never found a source for those other than Sams.

The regular 32v bulbs that look like a standard light bulb are easy to find, but they blow out in my overhead fixtures as soon as you turn them on. Only the tubular or the locomotive bulbs will work in those.

sandspur1966
10-12-2009, 09:37 AM
You didn't get the tubular 34v bulbs though, did you? I have never found a source for those other than Sams.

The regular 32v bulbs that look like a standard light bulb are easy to find, but they blow out in my overhead fixtures as soon as you turn them on. Only the tubular or the locomotive bulbs will work in those.

Sky-

They seem to have or are able to get everything.

I emailed them the bulb list out of the Hatt manual and they sent me a case of everything in it.

It was overkill but i figured not having to spend 9 bucks for a bulb "in a pinch" ever again would make up for the pain of a one time 700 dollar light bulb bill.

SKYCHENEY
10-12-2009, 10:05 AM
I don't think anyone makes those tubular bulbs anymore. Sam's just has old stock.

With the socket adapters, I like using the 34v halogen bulbs just as well.

Brian Degulis
10-12-2009, 09:49 PM
I tried a bunch of bulb distributors and all told me the 34V tubes are out of production. I got 6 from sams @ $25 ea an awfull lot for a handfull of bulbs but better than not being able to get them at all. I thought about changing the diffusers so I could use ordinary 34V bulbs but the head room isn't there. Sounds like Sky's got the best long term solution.

Brian

SKYCHENEY
10-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Probably a silly as@%$ question, but, does Hatteras still use the 32 volt systems, if not what do they currently use? I have allways wondered why my 903's use 12v starters instead of at least 24v. They draw tons of current.

I think all of the new boats have 24v systems. That changed in the late 80's.

steve940
10-15-2009, 09:41 PM
At Hatteras University in April, I gave Steve McPherson a lead for a company that makes DC-powered LED or flourescent bulbs with a medium base of any wattage required...

Both LED and flourescent bulbs would run cooler, use much less amperage and last almost forever...the only glitch was getting enough of a pre-order to avoid SAMS having to front the money for the order and take a risk that people wouldn't buy them...

Any ideas how a buying collective could be put together or would SAMS be willing to take the lead with deposits from buyers???

It would certainly be a good long-term option...

Steve
56MY

TopHattandTails
10-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Interested in the "collective". Would also be interested on where to find or what to ask for the "halogen adapter" idea. Do you have any part #'s or similar?

SKYCHENEY
10-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Interested in the "collective". Would also be interested on where to find or what to ask for the "halogen adapter" idea. Do you have any part #'s or similar?

I already had some medium base to double bayonet base adapters on the boat. Apparently a PO had used them at some point. What I did find was an adapter from double bayonet to G4. So now I have two adapters in there to use the halogens.

If I didn't already have the first adapters, I might have just rewired the fixture with new bases to accept those halogen bulbs.

Here is one of the adapters:
http://www.ahoycaptain.com/shop/sensibulb_senba.html

More info: This may be the proper adapter to go from medium screw base to G4
http://www.sailboatstuff.com/lt_lightparts.html

UPDATE: I just tried to order some of the adapters from Sailboatstuff.com and I got a response indicating that the item has been discontinued.

SKYCHENEY
10-19-2009, 03:13 PM
The source for the G4 adapter that I showed says that the part was discontinued. However, the part number crosses to an Anchor number. Here is the link to the adapter that should be available.

http://us.binnacle.com/product_info.php?products_id=6722

http://us.binnacle.com/images/productimages/24367.jpg

And here is the link again for the bulbs that go with those:

http://cgi.ebay.com/G4-JC-Type-Halogen-Lamp-34V-20W-20-watt-Light-Bulb_W0QQitemZ350018144431QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item517eb508af

stormchaser
11-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Anyone have any luck finding the tubular shaped bulbs? If so, where, how much and part number?

stormchaser
11-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I believe that is exactly the question Brian originally asked...just looking to see if anyone had any luck finding them...

Brian Degulis
11-28-2009, 12:03 PM
I couldn't find anyone who makes them all the suppliers told me they are no longer made. Sams has a replacment that works They're shorter but still 40W 32V. Make sure your sitting down when they give you the price.

Brian

stormchaser
11-28-2009, 12:19 PM
I dont supose you know the part number? And how bad was the price? I jsut ordered a bunch of 34v bulbs from www.bulbtronics.com Prices were INCREDIBLE!

Medium Base regular 34v 100w: BT100A19IFE2634 $0.73
Medium Base regular 34v 50w: BT50A1934E26IF $1.60
DC Bayonet Base (like the Perko overhead lights just outside the pilot house doors): WK1224 $0.33

Got a full case of each. 24 bulbs of each came out to $63.84...not bad...

Brian Degulis
11-28-2009, 12:32 PM
The ordinary A 19 or A21 medium base 32V bulbs are no problem it's the tubular bulbs that are no longer made. Sams either has someone making them or a secret source. If I remember right they were $25 ea

Brian

stormchaser
11-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Oh screw that, I'll change out the fixtures before I spend $25 for a damn bulb.

Brian Degulis
11-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Yeah I would to if I were planing to keep the boat. I would drop the fixture and get 3 of those 12V LED lights and wire them up in series so a group of 3 at each fixture.

Brian

stormchaser
11-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Excellent idea. Humm...3x12 = 36...will they work right at 32v?

SKYCHENEY
11-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Yes, that will work. But as I posted earlier, you don't need to change the fixture if you just switch to the halogen bulbs and adapters. Your choice.

stormchaser
11-28-2009, 06:10 PM
I saw that, but can you get bulbs rated at higher than 20watt? I need BRIGHT light...the standard 25 watt bulbs in there now don't cut it, I want at least 50 watt, if not 75 or 100. Can the fixtures handle the heat of halogen? What about halogen at the higher wattage?

stormchaser
11-28-2009, 06:12 PM
At Hatteras University in April, I gave Steve McPherson a lead for a company that makes DC-powered LED or flourescent bulbs with a medium base of any wattage required...

Both LED and flourescent bulbs would run cooler, use much less amperage and last almost forever...the only glitch was getting enough of a pre-order to avoid SAMS having to front the money for the order and take a risk that people wouldn't buy them...

Any ideas how a buying collective could be put together or would SAMS be willing to take the lead with deposits from buyers???

It would certainly be a good long-term option...

Steve
56MY

Can you post the name and contact info here? I'd like to talk to them...

stormchaser
12-21-2009, 10:54 AM
I dont supose you know the part number? And how bad was the price? I jsut ordered a bunch of 34v bulbs from www.bulbtronics.com Prices were INCREDIBLE!

Medium Base regular 34v 100w: BT100A19IFE2634 $0.73
Medium Base regular 34v 50w: BT50A1934E26IF $1.60
DC Bayonet Base (like the Perko overhead lights just outside the pilot house doors): WK1224 $0.33

Got a full case of each. 24 bulbs of each came out to $63.84...not bad...

Just to keep this updated. Bultronics still has not delivered the bulbs. After they didnt show up within a week and I hadnt even gotten a shipping confirmation, I emailed then to find out what was up. First I was told the WK1224 bulbs were out of stock and would be in during the week of Dec 10...they dint show up, so I emailed them again asking for a status update. I just got a call from them...out of stock with the manufacturer until February 28! Trying to find a few to get me by until those arrive (they dont seem to last long when used in the outdoor lights). Anyone know where to get a few of them at a not totally ripoff price?

GJH
12-21-2009, 02:01 PM
http://www.bulbtown.com/1224_MINIATURE_BULB_BA15D_BASE_p/1224.htm

I have dealt with these guys, good quality and very good service.

stormchaser
12-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Excellent, thanks...ordered a few to tide me over but they are almost 4x the price of the other place.

GJH
12-21-2009, 06:37 PM
See how it works out quality wise if and when you ever get your order.

stormchaser
06-22-2011, 11:16 PM
UPDATE: I just tried to order some of the adapters from Sailboatstuff.com and I got a response indicating that the item has been discontinued.

Update, looks like you can get them again from Sailboat Stuff:
http://www.sailboatstuff.com/lt_G4_MR11_MR16.html
About half way down the lsit. A lot less expensive than the others listed. here they are currently US$6.95 / PAIR

I'm now at the point where I'm out of my NOS on the tube bulbs...so guess I'm going to try adapters and the G4 bulbs...hope 20watt bulbs are bright enough. I'll post results.