PDA

View Full Version : Auto pilot failure

Glory
08-26-2009, 12:32 AM
Yesterday I as I left Block Is. i had no steering pressure, the air valve leaked. I tool a metal cap off one of the bicycles to solve the problem after i aired it up.

Once in the sloopy sea left behind by Bill, I get a rudder responce error, I checked all of the connections and then checked the AP motor, a 160, and found pleanty of dust from the brushes, i blew the motor out installed the brushes ans all was well again. My pump is installed with bthe brushes down, this might be a good idea. the dust is at the bottom of the pump, you can pull the brushes out and blow right through bthe pump.

Might something to check each year at the begining of the season.

JM

REBrueckner
08-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Dust is at the bottom of the motor, not the pump. Brushes are robust and big and seem to wear wellin general. Magnets another story:

"160" sounds like a Simrad Robertson....another issue is that when steering gets sluggish, disassemble the MOTOR and see if any permanent magnets glued inside to the outer case have come loose....they will rub against the armature slowing the rotation......I glued one magnet back in place with epoxy but later Robertson told me that might come loose from heat..after about three years it's still ok....I carry a spare MOTOR as they are easy to replace...EBAY has good deals when available.

I have a post here somewhere on the proper "glue" to use and repair details...