PDA

View Full Version : wood freeman autopilot pump

Ross Macdonald
07-28-2009, 07:15 PM
I have a Robertson AP 45 autopilot that the PO installed about 1992 and kept the wood freeman pump. It has worked perfectly for the last 15 yrs. but on the return trip it suddenly drove the rudders hard to starboard all the way to the stops. A scary moment to say the least. While wallowing in a decent swell, the wheel was then locked to starboard. We quickly disconnected the hydraulic ram and got a pipe wrench on the rudder post and got them back to straight line. We wedged a piece of wood to hold the rudders straight and drove the last 40 miles with throttles only. After checking connections, hydraulic lines, etc. with the breaker off, I discovered that as soon as the breaker is turned on the pump runs and pushes the rudders over. It might be the solenoid check valves are stuck. I think they are right on top of the pump. Any suggestions short of buying a new pump? And if that's the only option, where would one get a wood freeman pump? Any help would be appreciated. If it stays status quo, then the next trip will be back to the old fashioned way....hand steering.. Thanks, Ross

spartonboat1
07-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Call Wood Freeman. They will answer the phone and talk you through. They are a small shop and take calls. At least did so a couple years ago.

Vincentc
07-28-2009, 11:01 PM
I had a similar experience talking with Wood Freeman several years ago, they were very helpful.

On Lilly Marie we have a Navico Corus AP and the pump went out. Naico and Simrad are merged and I purchased a current model Simrad pump and it has worked fine and should be compatible if I have to replace the rest of the AP system. Isn't Roberson also a part of Simrad? If so a call to Simrad customer support might be helpful if you are looking to find a pump compatible with your surrent system.

Vincent
Lilly Marie 43 DC