PDA

View Full Version : Extended Cruise - Marine Pillow Tank

solanderi
06-24-2009, 12:31 PM
I am interested in a little Bahamas Cruising this summer and when calling around to some of the destinations (Chub), the marina reports having fuel (4.50/ gal) but reports that it is not for sale to the public. I did review the limited posts on Pillow Tanks here on the HOF and I suspect that must be the way to go.

My idea for my 1985 45C is to bulk up my 600 gal capacity by 300 more. Should that be in one mongo bladder or divided in two?

The various pillow tank companies seem to favor gravity and siphon techniques for fuel transfer rather than a pump. For those with experience, is that the way to go? I have to break-out my physics book but transferring 300 gals of fuel in a 1/2 inch line MUST be time consuming, right ? Also, if my cruise speed is 18 knots, how does 2500 lbs of fuel affect that cruise speed and are there any structural issues with putting a 2500 lb bladder on the cockpit floor. Any thoughts are appreciated,

Greg
Hat Time
1985 45C

brian4190
06-24-2009, 05:17 PM
I was in chub about 6 weeks ago and fuel is available to the public. it was priced at close to 5 bucks a gallon.I only put in 50 gallons and instead filled up in nassau (only 35 miles away) for 2.79/gal.

Fanfare
06-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Years ago I rigged a 400 gallon pillow tank across my afterdeck for an extended trip south. I also rigged a 12v transfer pump to move diesel into my tanks fuel fills. If I had mounted it on my foredeck it probably would have flowed by gravity, but I did not want the weight there for a long ocean passage. Unfortunately the dock where I planned to refuel collapsed before our arrival, so we ended up scrubbing that part of the voyage. The fuel load would have been really heavy. I had six attachment points installed and compression bands in the middle. Someday I will test this out.

For the Bahamas south to Crooked Island you can get enough fuel. However, you must plan for at least two alternate fueling stations as often one is broken or out. One time the tanker was broken and nobody had fuel!

I have spent many enjoyable stays at Chubb Cay in the past and I hate to seem to be hitting them when they are down. Most of the new developments in the Bahamas can't get financing and are temporarily abandoned. We were there in Feb. and all amenities were shut down. Staff was not very helpful. The beautifully rebuilt marina was charging full rates as though all was well. Everyone seemed resentful. Perhaps understandable, but not condusive to repeat business. I won't be back for a while.

34Hatt
06-25-2009, 12:50 PM
2400lbs in the cockpit I feel is going to affect you for sure at cruise.
Have you considered Hull speed. Even if you do 1/2 the trip at hull speed then you don't need as much fuel!