PDA

View Full Version : Removing salon roof handrails on 43' DCMY

Bill Root
04-03-2009, 04:41 PM
I need to remove the salon roof handrails to repair the screw holes on the ends. My rails have two posts in the middle of the rail that the stainless tube sets on. There is a metal plate over the tube above the posts. Is there a screw or bolt under that plate that attaches the the tube to the post? I tried lifting the plate but couldn't get it to budge. Before I get out the pry bar I thought I would see if anyone out there can tell me exactly how these rails come off.

Thanks

Trojan
04-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Bill I don't have any handrails in my salon. Where are they located. My boat is the same as yours. 1973 /43 DC. . BILL

Will
04-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Are you talking about the outside hand rails on the deck over the salon? Mine are pretty straight forward with screws on the end of the rails and two support brackets in between. Each support bracket has two screws to the deck. I'd have to assume that there is a screw holding the tube support rings to the bracket screwed to the deck on the two center support brackets. Maybe a picture of your setup would help.
Will 1980 43' DCFB

REBrueckner
04-03-2009, 05:44 PM
yes. The plate is "crimped" on the tube...the lower edges wrap round and grip the handrail tube....tap the tube horizontally using the tube as a guide.....with a piece of wood or hard plastic or even a screw driver..... forward or aft so it slides on the tube (handrail grip) and then the screw under will be exposed...generally if you glop some caulk on the screws and reinsert them it will stop a drip leak..if they are loose, let the hole dry and fill with epoxy paste...then drill and reinsert the screw...

one or another might be wedged/jammed/bent...it's really easy once you see how it works,,,so try another if the first is a tough budge....

Bill Root
04-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks to all who replied. Yes, these are the handrails on the outside roof of the salon. I think Rob figured out what I was trying to explain. It's actually the screws on each end of the handrail that are turning in their holes, so I need to pull the entire rail in order to fix the screw holes.

REBrueckner
04-04-2009, 09:16 AM
I forgot to post above: those clip on caps on the rails over the screws pop up and off...not easily...and then clip back on just fine....just dont let one get airborne and flop overboard....keep a hand on it while you pry off...!!!!
If you get the caps off, check the screws for grip..if tight you might be able to leave them in place:

You may not need to remove the rails...I did not.

Remove the end screws, and with the rail in place, just drill out the hole oversize to clean it, and let the hole dry several days.....then fill with a epoxy glop thin enough to run...pour it in and use a matchstick or ice pick to prick and deflate any air bubbles....drill for the screw when hard....

or often you can lift the rail end enough and block it up with a piece of wood to get a putty knife under the rail bracket to push epoxy into the hole...1/4" lift is enough to slip the putty knife between the roof and bracket.....

TIP: use some masking tape around the hole because a metal putty knife can scratch the paint finish..OR use a plastic putty knife...via Home Cheapo, for example...