PDA

View Full Version : motor mounts 36c

pathat315
03-27-2009, 08:12 PM
I posted my thread in the wrong section. Does anyone know how to move the post to the tech talk? If not, could you please read my post in the parts for sale section and respond. Thanks.

pathat315
03-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Let me re-write the thread since I'm not getting many views.

The mechanic noticed a potential problem when my 1975 36c was pulled last fall. When the boat was in the sling he said the dreaded, that doesn't look good. He noticed a small "polished" section on each shaft that's about 1-2 inches long. He said the motors are flexing/moving on the mounts. He said we can investigate further when we lauch the boat in the spring. It's just about that time again.

The boat was repowered about 10 years ago with 502 gas powered engines. Not sure if the motor mounts were replaced with the re-power. The mechanic is guessing probably not. Is there an acceptable amount of movement/flex with motors and transmissions? What is the fix and does anyone have an idea how big the job is and cost?

Boat runs fine and don't have any performance issues or vibrations. Definatley surprised when he pointed this out.

GaryNW
03-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Need more info. Exactly where were these polished areas (in front of struts, aft of struts, where shafts emerge from shaft logs, etc)? I've seen polished areas where shaft zincs were before they were thrown off, as well. These are normally well forward of the struts. Also the shafts can be quite close to the hull just aft of the shaft logs (about 1/4" on my 31' EC which has prop tunnels). I have a hard time seeing 1" to 2" of fore/aft movement in the mounts. I think there would be signs of damage to the mounts if this were the case.
Gary

Beckytek
03-28-2009, 04:26 PM
You should check your motor mounts to see what kind they are? Flexible? solid? Are they loose on the engine bed? Are the bolts holding them, tight? The mounts on my boat are solid and don't allow the engine to move at all. I would think yours are the same, but maybe they were changed by PO. That's the only way I can see that the shaft could move. Ron

Beckytek
03-28-2009, 04:34 PM
I had flexible mounts on my last boat (a Krogen) and I had a shiny spot on my shaft about an inch wide just as you described. They would flex that much.

pathat315
03-29-2009, 04:27 PM
The polished area is aft of where it comes out of the strut. Looks like when the boat is put in forward gear, the shaft moves forward in the hole of strut and is "polished". I havn't had a chance to look at the mounts yet.