PDA

View Full Version : Aft deck stantions on a 43 dcmy

Bill Root
02-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Does anyone know how the large stantions that run straight up from the floor to the hardtop at the after end of the bridge deck side windows are fastened through the floor? Are there nuts on the underside, a metal plate that's threaded to receive the bolts, or what? I'm chasing a leak in the aft stateroom ceiling that I think may be coming from around the four bolts that secure the bottom plate of this stantion to the deck. The bolts in mine are not biting into anything.

Thanks

spartonboat1
02-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know how the large stantions that run straight up from the floor to the hardtop at the after end of the bridge deck side windows are fastened through the floor? Are there nuts on the underside, a metal plate that's threaded to receive the bolts, or what? I'm chasing a leak in the aft stateroom ceiling that I think may be coming from around the four bolts that secure the bottom plate of this stantion to the deck. The bolts in mine are not biting into anything.

Thanks

The PO of my 43'MY had run a whole host of screws in the aft deck decking and all over the lower bridge flat surfaces. We chased leaks, until I removed all screws, broken screws, etc. Then cleaned out the holes with a Dremel and filled with West Marine puffed up (their filler) epoxy. Not only looks better, but stopped the leaks. Other candidates would be the stantions/braces that run at 45 degrees, mount to the deck and support the entry doors. They are on the aft side of the doorways (the doors are just weatherboard). Given the constant vertical load on the big stantions I would be surprised they would leak, but you never know. Also, there are many screws around the gunnel that hold the SS guard strip in place...they may leak.

Timeout
02-25-2009, 05:54 PM
I had the same issue with 2 sources. There are nuts on the underside of the hardtop support that can be accessed through the hanging closet inside side access panel. The nuts on mine vibrated off and left the screws loose. While you are in there, you can check the cleat but these were not an issue on mine. The bigger problem was a leak coming through the rub rail about 10 ft. forward of the aft corner which ran inside the glass tabbing between the hull and deck joint and escaped about the same location as the bridge support. It took me a whole summer to find that one as it ran down the transom, under the fuel tank and resulted in wet carpet on the floor forward of the bunk.

... Kevin