PDA

View Full Version : Wing door stain

chris
02-02-2009, 10:16 AM
I am working on brite work and need to refinish my wing doors and frames on my 1982 48 MY. I was wondering if anyone knows what stain Hatteras used on these originally.
Thanks
Chris

bobk
02-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Chris, I recall those are teak frames. If so, there probably was no stain on them. The owners manual with my 1981 48 says they finished exterior teak with Watco oil. What do you have on the near-by rails?

Bob

SKYCHENEY
02-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Interior of those doors is probably Dupont 704C. If you want a similar product, call Sams. I have heard that they have a product made for them that is almost identical to the original finish.

chris
02-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Chris, I recall those are teak frames. If so, there probably was no stain on them. The owners manual with my 1981 48 says they finished exterior teak with Watco oil. What do you have on the near-by rails?

Bob
Bob
Mine have a dark brown finish on them. I know it is a built up finish because it is peeling in some areas on the doors. I am stripping the doors and wanted to restain to match the rest of the areas that still look good.
Thanks Chris

chris
02-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Interior of those doors is probably Dupont 704C. If you want a similar product, call Sams. I have heard that they have a product made for them that is almost identical to the original finish.

Hey Sky

Thanks for the info. I am callings Sams now.

Chris

wndsr
02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
I can tell you anytime I refinish any of my exterior teak. I simply strip if necessary, bleach if needed and varnish with no stain. I prefer the lighter golden look. I have also recently started to first coat some of my exterior teak that is subject to water infusion with West Clear special coating then varnish as normal. This simply seals the exterior and keeps water from penetrating or "wicking into the wood. Its not 100% cure-but seems to be working well so far especially on my sliding salon doors which were very easily water stained by wicking. Hope this helps.
Ben

chris
02-05-2009, 06:21 PM
I can tell you anytime I refinish any of my exterior teak. I simply strip if necessary, bleach if needed and varnish with no stain. I prefer the lighter golden look. I have also recently started to first coat some of my exterior teak that is subject to water infusion with West Clear special coating then varnish as normal. This simply seals the exterior and keeps water from penetrating or "wicking into the wood. Its not 100% cure-but seems to be working well so far especially on my sliding salon doors which were very easily water stained by wicking. Hope this helps.
Ben

I thought about doing that, but I have only a small area of bad stain. I hate to have to strip everything just because of a few bad spots. Most of my brite work is just varinished. It's just the aft cabin doors and frames that are stained. All my rails, pulpit, ect are just varnish.

Chris

aquacraig@shaw.ca
02-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Ben, What is west clear? is it a westmarine label? My hurricain doors are in need of refinishing, only varnish, but if west clear makes a good sealer base I'd be interested in better understandin it.
Thanx
Craig in BC

la maison blanche
06-20-2009, 03:24 PM
The new floor looks amazing....are you ever thinking about selling????

la maison blanche
07-03-2009, 10:04 PM
How firm is your asking price?