PDA

View Full Version : Stop Button Fever

solanderi
12-22-2008, 02:57 PM
I read the previous posts about stop buttons and I just experienced the stop buttons failing simultaneously. The previous thread points out that 99.99% of the time it is related to the ground. Where is (are) that specific ground and how do I trouble-shoot it ? Thank you,

Greg
1985 45C

GOLE IV
12-22-2008, 08:02 PM
On my previous engines 8V71N the push button activated a 12 v solenoid that shut down the engine. The ground or negative of the solenoid was wire directly to the engine. So the button actually feed the 12 volts to activate the solenoid. In these engines there was a fuse on the positive side of the solenoid, don't know if original or added at a latter date.

good luck

SKYCHENEY
12-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Have someone push the button while you watch the solenoid. If it moves but does not shut down the engine, it may just need some adjustment to the link rod. You could also test it for power at the solenoid. It may not be the switch, but the solenoid itself.

Sonny
12-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Typically the solenoid is grounded at it's mount. If both your stop solenoids quit at the same time then the most likely culprit is the +feed to the stop switches. Get your multi-meter out and confirm you have good voltage (12 or 24, whichever your boat uses) going to the switches. Keep in mind some systems are wired in such a way that current is supplied to the stop switches via the ignition key and some have current supplied even if the key is off, so check for voltage with the key in the on position.

solanderi
01-01-2009, 10:42 PM
The end of the story......

I got some help and it turned out that the 23 year old ignition swithes were intermittantly shorting out. So the fix will be new ignition switches and just for good measure, new stop buttons, I think I got my money's worth out of those. Also, while I have a sunbrella cover for the helm I may invest in a more waterproof solution so I can get 50 years out of the new switches, ha ha.

Greg
1985 45C
Hat Time
Miami Beach

stormchaser
01-02-2009, 08:04 AM
SDpeaking of that...can anyone tell me WHERE the stop solenoid is on 8v71TIs like have on Saraswati and what to look for? I want to be prepared for when the button fails and I have to manually activate the kill. It's happened at least once on every baot I've owned except my Catalina 30. lol

Genesis
01-02-2009, 08:25 AM
They are large cylinders with a rod that goes to a lever on top of the governor. The lever has a spring attached (externally) that forces it to the "not pulled" position when the solenoid is not energized.

Pull the lever on the governor (ALL THE WAY), the engine stops.

Never pull that lever PART way. Either its all the way pulled, or all the way "not pulled".

yachtsmanbill
01-02-2009, 08:29 AM
And when all else fails... ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OojMdgb0HDg&feature=channel_page

stormchaser
01-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Need vid...but what did you do?

TopHattandTails
01-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Dave,
If (and when) you need the manual kill, make sure your throttle is all the way down. This is an air shut off and with some steam behind the throttle, could suck rings and other nasties into your engine. That would not be fun.

Last time my electronic (push button) solenoid quit was due to low battery condition. We were in process of a lot of battery charger / battery testing and drained them...

yachtsmanbill
01-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Need vid...but what did you do?

Hit the "easy button"! Just grab the throttle on top of the governor and pull it closed. It will shut down immediately, although I gave this a slow stop for the vid.
My starboard solenoid has a bad ground and sometimes fails to shutdown... thats on the agenda too. ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNFGwPgbEOE&feature=related