PDA

View Full Version : E gads!!!

yachtsmanbill
11-06-2008, 08:55 PM
I know this should be in the for sale section, but I figured the old gal deserved some extra attention... ws

http://www.yachtsalvage.com/Listings/YS084063.htm

yachtsmanbill
11-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Must be that time of the year! ws
http://www.cooperss.com/detail.php?id=1-1-25469
http://www.cooperss.com/detail.php?id=1-1-25424

Boatsb
11-06-2008, 09:05 PM
I know this should be in the for sale section, but I figured the old gal deserved some extra attention... ws

:(

shark 1007
11-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Scott:

That would keep JR working till 2012

captddis
11-06-2008, 09:11 PM

Bill,
I saw that 58 yesterday and thought of you right away. Maybe the sub part deux?

LENZ
11-06-2008, 09:16 PM
I love where it says under EQUIPMENT: A trailer is not included in the sale. Wow that would be a biggin!

Lenz

Jaxfishgyd
11-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Bill,
Checked out the site.... Saw the pic of the boat.... But then saw this:

HATAX3040975
"Indigo"
PW

This vessel will be sold by open bid.

Broker: Jeff Palmer @ (843) 762-7688.

Si necesita comunicarse en español llame a nuestra oficina en Warwick, RI (401) 732-6300, pregunte por Virginia Barrios .

Usted puede encontrar Transporte, Marinas, Partes y mucho más en

Am guessing "It's Aint from around here".... :}

Genesis
11-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Sunk by Ike.

One of the people who didn't move when they could have.

Yuck.

The sad part is that to really refit her you'd have to strip the entirety of the wiring and machinery, and that probably makes her a total economic loss.

That is, for $0 you might not be getting a good deal.

dastahl
11-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Here is how I see the LRC numbers. After closely watching these boats for ten years, the 58 LRCs usually sell from $500K to $600K depending on condition. Occasionaly there is a boat in really bad shape at $350K-400. In this market all bets are off and there have been no sales in over a year with 5 boats in good shape listed in the $400s.

So thats the ending point and I would guess that this boat will always be know as an unterzee boot and would fetch less money on the market even if it was refit properly.

To be frank, I have told far to many folks that the only way I could afford a 58 LRC would be if I found one washed up on shore. Well now I need to look at this carefully. E-gads!!!

Skooch
HatterasLRC.com

Boatsb
11-07-2008, 09:09 AM
I showed the wife a 65 LRC brochure and said one day we could live on one of these. She wanted to know how soon. Sadly the cost of refurbishing them makes it beyond the numbers I could afford especially since I need a place to live while I do it.

In another economy that 58 could be feasible but sadly the market is too soft and money too hard to get to do the project. Maybe Hatteras would like to take her in and have the staff restore her as a labor of love.

Sparky1
11-07-2008, 09:31 AM
I showed the wife a 65 LRC brochure and said one day we could live on one of these. She wanted to know how soon. Sadly the cost of refurbishing them makes it beyond the numbers I could afford especially since I need a place to live while I do it.

In another economy that 58 could be feasible but sadly the market is too soft and money too hard to get to do the project. Maybe Hatteras would like to take her in and have the staff restore her as a labor of love.Dan and I boarded a 65LRC at FLIBS and was the first either of us had been on. It was a very roomy boat, but it seemed to be overpriced at $695K as I recall. I know these things have a following, but what are you getting in the LRC besides range that you don't get in a 70CPMY for much less money in today's market?

As a liveaboard, I like the 70CPMY much better.

dastahl
11-07-2008, 09:41 AM
I hear ya Scott. Two weekends ago my wife and I stayed three nights on a superbly fit 58 LRC "Knucklehead" at the LRC Rendezvous in New Bern. We also enjoyed sitting on the aft deck of a 65 LRC (stretched to 70') sipping wine with some of the nicest people we have ever met.
The admiral was asking a lot of questions about the Texas boat last night.

Skooch
42 LRC
Worton Creek MD

Boatsb
11-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I think the LRC idea gives me a sense of being able to just leave civilization and go off for long periods with no concern for fuel or land based support. It is probably the idea that I could if I had one and one day may actually do so.

ThirdHatt
11-07-2008, 10:26 AM
I too love the 58 and 65LRC's and even built my slip 24.5' wide and 62' long to fit a 58LRC someday. I ended up finding a great 58YF first and I usually run her like an LRC at hull speed anyway. I must admit that I do like the idea of being able to get up and outrun a storm, but in nasty offshore stuff I bet those LRC's are much more stable because of the extra weight. Hatteras lists the 58YF at 62,500lbs and the 58LRC at 90,000lbs. BIG difference! For real blue water cruising, a MY will never hold a candle to an LRC. MY's are coastal cruisers and LRC's are passagemakers. Both great at what they do, but different. Now, if I could only figure our how to add another 1,000 gallons of fuel......LOL!

dastahl
11-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Sparky,
The LRCs are built specificly for extended cruising. They have full displacement hulls which do give a better ride at slow speeds and far less spray and less noise than the MYs (except mine which is very loud). Extra fuel and smaller motors give them a huge range, the 65 holds 2689 g of diesel and burns about 10 per hour @ 10 knots. I know you can go slow in a MY like you did in the 58 TC. But there are trade offs.

I also prefer the layout with individual stairs for quests forward and owners aft. I like the day head not found on the MY. I like the idea of an enclosed pilot house, but admit the LRC pilot houses are too small. I like the stairs to the flybridge in the pilot house on not on the aft deck like the MY.

I hate the extra price. The trade offs are real and in my case I think they are valuable.

The LRC club members account for about 1/3 the boats. My observations show that they use these boats much more than MY owners. Not a scientific study. The most recent purchase of a 58 LRC was by a couple with zero boating experience. They hired a captain to cruise around Florida and the Bahamas for a few weeks, then headed south. Last I heard they were in South American somewhere. They will get together with "Never Never Land" a 58 in Trinidad. She is getting some work done following a circumnavigation a few years ago, the wrong way I might add. On the way down island they will find Jabula in St Martin during the winter (she is enroute from New Bern as we speak) and the Chesapeake Bay in the summer.

I better quit typing and get my plane tickets to Texas.

Skooch
Worton Creek MD

Sparky1
11-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Skooch, everything's a trade-off, so to each his own. I've never run a LRC, but I'm sure they're more stable than the motoryachts. Although I haven't had it in a while with my 58, I like having the option to put a boat up onto plane. Otherwise, I would have bought a trawler.

I had the opportunity to take a pretty good cruise on a 70CPMY, and I fell in love with it. No doubt you'll never get 1NMPG with one, but you won't get a 17 knot cruise out of a LRC either. That particular boat didn't have the layout I like best as I prefer the layout with his and hers heads in the master and a full berth forward.

You mentioned the stairs to the bridge being on the aft deck of the MY, but that's actually not the case. The 70 has access from the pilothouse, and thanks to some custom work, so does my 58. Seems like the galley was smaller on the 65 than the 70, but I may be wrong. No doubt I'd be a happy camper on either. :)

stormchaser
11-07-2008, 12:08 PM
I partially earned my way through college by fixing up abandoned or salvage boats and selling them. I never did anything nearly this big...I tried to stick to boats 30' and under, although I did fix up a 33' Hunter sloop that sunk in a storm and had the bow literelly torn off, so I do have an idea of what goes into fixing up old boats that need a LOT of work...and unless this one was basically free, I'd take a pass. You can't count on ANYTHING in her being any good anymore...and you can't even say "at least I get a good hull out of the deal" due to the fiberglass damage. Maybe a small profit could be made by parting her out and taking a sawzall to what's left.

34Hatt
11-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I partially earned my way through college by fixing up abandoned or salvage boats and selling them. I never did anything nearly this big...I tried to stick to boats 30' and under, although I did fix up a 33' Hunter sloop that sunk in a storm and had the bow literelly torn off, so I do have an idea of what goes into fixing up old boats that need a LOT of work...and unless this one was basically free, I'd take a pass. You can't count on ANYTHING in her being any good anymore...and you can't even say "at least I get a good hull out of the deal" due to the fiberglass damage. Maybe a small profit could be made by parting her out and taking a sawzall to what's left.

I too have done a few projects biggest being my 34C. I hear were your coming from but the thought of a sawall on a Hatt specially a LRC that's even more crazy then re-doing her :) There are not many LRC's out there.
It just needs another Yachtsmanswillie to buy her up ;)

I like the 54 Hatt they have 4 dvd players and 4 lcd tv listed. Yum the boat sunk to the windows I have a feeling those are N.G :)

Oh yeah Note to Sparky "hey this is the Tech side" :)

Silverado6x6
11-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Its free?

Wheres that plane ticket of mine!

Looks like some fair amount of cleaning has already been done.

Pascal
11-07-2008, 04:01 PM
if one is going to rebuild a sunk boat, the LRC is probably the only boat that's worth redoing...it has to be all redone, machinery, wiring, etc... but if you dont' have to use $100 labor at the yard, it could work out and you could end up with one hell of a boat...

yachtsmanbill
11-07-2008, 05:41 PM
I am sure glad a lot of you guys paid attention to this one... I really though that its to much of a real yacht to pass up for some one that wants a deal on one. If I had the time and where-with-all I would come in with a bottom feeding bid.
I really dont follow all this political and financial bullshoot, but I would imagine that a lot of folks in the market for a boat like this would realize what the market is for this unit. I would dream about 25 k knowing what I know now!
I'll tell ya 6X6... this could be your golden opportunity!!!! How forked up could a boat really be with 6-71Ns and room to get around to get at stuff and re-detail?
"JAHST DOOO IT!!" A. Scwartzenegger

spartonboat1
11-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Sunk by Ike.

One of the people who didn't move when they could have.

Yuck.

The sad part is that to really refit her you'd have to strip the entirety of the wiring and machinery, and that probably makes her a total economic loss.

That is, for $0 you might not be getting a good deal.

Why all the complaining. They show the list price.
Title and Documentation Transfer Preparation and archive record keeping $ 95.00
Reproduction of lost documents or other search
*With a minimum prepay of $95.00
$ 65.00 per hour
Wire Transfer Fee (inside USA) $ 30.00
Wire Transfer Fee (outside USA) $ 40.00

Add it up, add a dollar and there's your bid.

I didn't think an big LRC could get hammered like that!

SKYCHENEY
11-07-2008, 10:46 PM
If I didn't already own a Hatteras, I'd have to take a look at this boat. The 58LRC has always been what I would think of as the ideal boat. But, as stated, they have always been pretty pricey. I do enjoy having the ladder to the bridge in my PH.

Silverado6x6
11-08-2008, 05:27 AM
Well i may just toss a bid at this, I'm not working right now and I do have some cash on hand.

Silverado6x6
11-08-2008, 05:33 AM
http://www.yachtsalvage.com/photos/YS084063_ph/YS084063_01.jpg

I wish it wasn't so hard to get an image posted here, sometimes it works for me, sometimes not.

REBrueckner
11-08-2008, 03:56 PM
How much would they pay me to tow it away...I'm not so far in NY/NJ...

Unless the engines were running shortly after sinking...they will be either a very expensive and complete rebuild or a headache...maybe both....ditto everything aboard...

Brian Degulis
11-08-2008, 05:47 PM
I love those LRCs I've got a slip in my backyard and everything needed to take on a project like that but I'm not interested here's why.

It's not going to go for less than 100K

It's in Texas which means it has to made operational there so lots of work to do far from home and that's always expensive.

The price of great boats that are ready to go has dropped dramiticaly but the cost of renovation has not.

You probably can't find a steal on an LRC but there are so many steals out there on MYs a project boat is hard to justify.

If It was close to me I might take a run at it.

Brian

SKYCHENEY
11-08-2008, 09:39 PM
I see this boat is on YW now for $75,000

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1975/Hatteras-Long-Range-Cruiser-1997316/Hitchcock/TX/United-States

Brian Degulis
11-09-2008, 07:48 AM
I'm suprized they are offering it that cheap. It must look a lot worse than the pics.

Brian

SKYCHENEY
11-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm not. In this economy even good boats go that cheap. Maybe not a 58LRC, but how about a 43DC? or even an old 53MY? There was a 53MY (1972, I think) on ebay a while back and it didn't even get a bid at $99k starting price.

MikeP
11-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Love the 58LRCs but they would have to pay ME $75k to tow that one away! Can't imagine it being worth anything at all.

Brian Degulis
11-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Mike from a practical perspective your right the cost to bring it back is higher than one that's already there. But there always seems to be a buyer that's willing to pay on a salvage deal.

Sky The economy doesn't seem to have efected the Hat LRC market for some reason those boats always bring a good buck. If this was a MY there's no way it's going to go at 75 but I bet this one goes pretty quick. Hell the more I think about it the more I think I would take a run at it if it were in my area. Unless it's really bad or wasn't very good before it went down I bet it's not around for long.

Brian

Nonchalant1
11-09-2008, 12:07 PM
There are some really excellent boats out there for not much too.
Look at this 53MY..... a beautiful boat from just pictures. Do ya' suppose they'd take $199 for it?
[[URL]http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980/Hatteras-53-Classic-1920320/Little-River/SC/United-States]

Maybe I'll buy this one and have one in Florida and pone at home in Chicago!!
Nah... just wishin'.

Doug

Walter P
11-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Wow..... Looking closely at the pictures of the damage to the fibreglass is bad enough, but then when you check out the interior it's a scary job at best.

I agree with Karl... figure out the transfer costs etc and add one dollar (to keep it legal and binding) and that's it. The cost of making a decent boat out of it would in my opinion far exceed the value. You would in essence be building a new boat, and what makes anyone think they could do it cheaper than say, Hatteras or any other manufacturer? Add to that dismal picture the fact that when it's done it's still an old boat of the same vintage as it started out as and the resale value would reflect it. Oh yeah, good luck with insurance as well.

Guys, the old line about pay me now or pay me later appears to apply in this case. Better to pay now for something that is in usuable condition than to rebuild this old girl. Reality sometimes takes some effort to sink in, remember not too many of us are Yachtsman Willie's and even he would have a tough time justifing this project.

Walt

REBrueckner
11-09-2008, 04:02 PM
"The cost of making a decent boat out of it would in my opinion far exceed the value."

Right on .

SKYCHENEY
11-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Brian,
You say that LRC's hold their value and you would be correct up until this economic downturn. Now, I wonder how many have actually sold in the last 6 months, probably none. Just because you can look at asking prices and see a large figure doesn't mean that they are still holding their value. You have to look at those that have actually sold.

yachtsmanbill
11-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Guys, the old line about pay me now or pay me later appears to apply in this case. Better to pay now for something that is in usuable condition than to rebuild this old girl. Reality sometimes takes some effort to sink in, remember not too many of us are Yachtsman Willie's and even he would have a tough time justifing this project.

WHEW!! Common sense would tell me NO WAY (knowing what I know now), but if I really had the ways and means, I wouldnt hesitate. Youd hafta MARRY that one!
The Big Chill is turning into a baby nightmare... ws

SKYCHENEY
11-09-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't doubt that someone will jump on this, thinking that they can restore it for less than buying one that is ready to go. The question is: Will they actually finish the work or will reality set in after much time and money has already been spent? I'd bet that whoever buys it sinks a bunch of money into it and then sells it, unfinished, for much less than they have into it. Then the next guy and the next guy do the same thing, all thinking that they can come out ahead on this deal.

It's sad. What a great boat. I'm almost tempted to buy it, but my love of the boat is outweighed by my common sense.

jim rosenthal
11-09-2008, 07:20 PM
The absolute record for mileage on a Hatteras (that I am aware of) is Fred and Sharon Kersch here in Maryland who have over seventy thousand miles on their Hatteras LRC. (it is a 48 which was stretched to 56 feet). No kidding LRC owners use their boats....

captddis
11-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Everytime I have gone to an auction, the price gets bid up well past the actual value. I talked to the head of a Marine Insurance company and asked why they total so many boats with cosmetic damage. I was told that the ins co makes out better going with a total because of how much people pay for the boat at auction.

Brian Degulis
11-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Brian,
You say that LRC's hold their value and you would be correct up until this economic downturn. Now, I wonder how many have actually sold in the last 6 months, probably none. Just because you can look at asking prices and see a large figure doesn't mean that they are still holding their value. You have to look at those that have actually sold.

Sky I don't know how they are selling now there just aren't enough of them to realy tell. What I meant by that was compared to a 58MY or other hats of that age and size the LRCs bring the most and that was true at $1.00 per gallon or $4.00 in times that are good or bad. They may be down right now I just don't know but I bet they aren't down as much as MYs because of the fuel factor.

I agree most project boats don't ever seem to get completed and brought back to typical values.

Brian

spartonboat1
11-09-2008, 11:08 PM
"The cost of making a decent boat out of it would in my opinion far exceed the value."

Right on .

I do remember that on Yachtworld around 1978-79 a 58'MY had a bad fire and the house and most of interior was gone. Basically hull value. The asking price was $12k. Her hull was more sound than that shown.

Magic just doesn't happen and there is no "free" money floating around to bid up anything. All the excess equity in people's home's is gone...the most constant figure I hear is of 401K's gone from $400-500 down to $200-250k (sorry, I was never that high...sigh). So the economist's proverbial lack of the "free lunch" rises up to bite one and all.

I think that the 43MY, an attractive boat with stabs, that went on the rocks in the N. Channel, finally went for 10-12k at salvage.

Not sure what my point is except that I think $75k is high.

dastahl
12-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Skuttlebutt has it the 58 LRC, hull number 4, that sank in TX during hurricane Ike was auctioned off by Yacht Salvage Monday for $58K.

I passed because the bulk of the hull damage was under the water line at the stb. aft corner. With the boat in muddy water there was no way to see that side of the damage. Or any other damage to the bottom for that matter.

The admiral guessed they were affraid to pull it out cause the cockpit would collapse like the 55 Fleming damaged in Florida in 2005. I guess it depends on how far the glass was shattered. If any of you folks bought it, I would find a marine railway.

Skooch
Worton Creek MD
42 Hatteras LRC