PDA

View Full Version : Flybridge bench seating upgrade

Calcutta
10-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Earlier this summer, I added an interesting update to the bridge benches on my Series I 36. I've always liked the look of the original bridge, but hated the integrated bench arrangement that forces the bridge passengers to face athwartships. So, I took the idea from a carolina custom rig I saw in So FL last year and decided to integrate it into my bridge.

After a season of use, the results turned out to be better that I expected, both in terms of comfort and appearance. Cheaper than the alternative as well. My wife, daughter and crew love them. All agree it was the greatest addition that I've made to the boat, bar-none.

StratPlan61
10-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Gregg, nice job, looks factory!! Good imagination and looks like the era-correct appearance we all strive for. Way to go buddy!!

Calcutta
10-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the comment.

The seat-backs also reverse, making a great jump-seat for watching the spread, behind the boat. I'd be happy to provide a road-map if anyone is interested.

34Hatt
10-15-2008, 12:36 PM
I like it :)

Having a 34 its the same seating How about more pictures. When you say they swing for fishing what about the cushions. I see you notched them!
Also did you make a hinge or buy them.

Ok just read your comment about the road map ;) I would love to have it :)

Thanks Dan

Avenger
10-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Nice work. I'd be interested to see how you did it too.

I haven't decided on any bridge upgrades yet (other than a Slane bridge when I hit the lottery) so this looks like a nice option.

whaler23
10-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Please provide the road map, thanks.

Calcutta
10-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Obviously, there was a bit of reasearch involved to make them.

Pompanette makes the chair-backs (#80 class). All the other manufacturers backs are too wide to center on these benches with the rolled edges. These are available in teak or the hi-density plastic, which I used, as it matched my existing helm chair.

I designed the brackets to fit the chair-back locks and had manufactured locally. They are built of hi-grade aluminum and can be fabricated on an as-need basis. I also had the slotted cushions made locally.

If interested, just drop a pm or email, and I can provide more details.