PDA

View Full Version : gulf coast rendezvous

Pages : [1] 2

bigbill
09-09-2008, 03:12 PM
these are the marinas that have been suggested for a gulf coast rendezvous the wharf, orange beach alabama-- schooner pier complex, biloxi mississippi. if anyone has any other suggestions please submit them

David Fayard
09-09-2008, 11:08 PM
bigbill, what dates are you looking at for the rendezvous? thanks david

ThirdHatt
09-10-2008, 08:16 AM
I voted for the Wharf as long as we are still looking at the last week of April or the first week of May. The earliest I can be there with the boat is late April. Whenever or wherever, IT WILL BE FUN!!!

bigbill
09-11-2008, 03:55 PM
why isn't this poll staying at the top of the page like the others? can someone make this happen? bigbill

bigbill
09-11-2008, 09:16 PM
david and anyone else interested, i am thinking late april, or early may. not too hot, not too cold, before fishing season starts. any other suggestions for dates? after we settle on a location i will make some calls and see what dates are available. bigbill

Capt. Tobb
09-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Billy, wanted to give my two cents about the date. I think mid to end of April will be best.

bigbill
09-19-2008, 04:48 PM
just posting to get this poll back to the top of the page. bigbill

Nonchalant1
09-20-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm guessing that we'll be in the area around the end of March, on our way back from Florida.

Doug Shuman

bigbill
09-21-2008, 10:09 PM
how can i tell who voted for which location? after i vote,the poll wont show who voted for what location, just the percentages of each location. bigbill

Mambeaux
09-22-2008, 10:48 AM
I would like to know that of the 13 votes we have so far how many of them are bringing boats. I think we need to know if the voters are boaters and where they are from. Can we add this to the poll?

Doug or Karl would you please make this a "sticky"?

Thanks

Pascal
09-22-2008, 01:06 PM
i just made the thread a sticky.

when i "view poll results" i can see the names.. not sure if it's a mod function.

so far:

the wharf in orange beach alabama
bigbill, captbuddy, david fayard, Nonchalant1, Peter Mitchell, ThirdHatt, Traveler 45C
7 53.85%
schooner pier complex in biloxi mississippi
58yfsb, Capt. Tobb, Dustoff44, Mambeaux, skrmetta90, Vincentc
6 46.15%
fort morgan marina and yacht club in gulf shores ala.
Nonchalant1
1 7.69%

Mambeaux
09-22-2008, 01:22 PM
How did Nonchalant1 vote twice......he must be from Louisiana.

bigbill
09-22-2008, 02:04 PM
hey mambeaux, you can vote for as many locations that you would attend, i think it is too late to vote on multiple locations if you have already voted bigbill ps thanks pascal

58yfsb
09-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Can likely make either location - depending on the date. Just voted for Biloxi since it's a shorter run and had the boat there before

bigbill
09-23-2008, 02:44 PM
hey mambeaux, i will definately be bringing my boat to either of the top two locations. bigbill

Norm Mayer
09-25-2008, 02:32 AM
Runaround Sue can't make any of those locations, but will possibly drive there. If anyone is interested, we live in N Fort Myers (Paradise Presearve) and there are many open slips. If there is any interest I can approach the owners about hosting the event. My phone number is 513-378-6628.

Vincentc
09-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Calendar permitting, we, with the boat hope to attend either location.
Vincent

Traveler 45C
09-30-2008, 09:29 AM
I can't say yet if I'll be coming out on Traveler or in the car.

Mambeaux
10-02-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm in at either place with Mambeaux. I voted for Biloxi cause it's only a 25 mile run from my house (trying to save fuel).

So how many boats do we have now......four??

bigbill
10-03-2008, 11:07 AM
i know mis b' havin [bigbill], blue thunder[david fayard], tight spot [capt. tobb], mambeaux, and thirdhatt, depending on the date. bigbill

Mambeaux
10-03-2008, 12:41 PM
I think we missed "Lilly Marie" (VencentC) and "58yfsb"

58yfsb
10-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm likely in - depending on the date (mostly depends on how far in advance the date is set so I can plan to be in town).

BigBill - Just saw the (new) 58 on Malini Bayou before we move our boat back to the Pass Harbor last week - have you met them?

bigbill
10-03-2008, 02:57 PM
hey tony, i have been knowing them for a while, his name is owen brennan, i understand he bought the boat after katrina, and the family lived on her in florida until buying the house where she is moored now. i am going to try to get owen to come to our rendezvous. bigbill

skrmetta90
10-04-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm pretty sure i'll be in. We're moving to Atlanta now but my boat's staying in Biloxi.

bigbill
10-07-2008, 03:00 PM
if the votes stay even, we will need a tiebreaker, i'm thinking the location that the most boats would show up at, not the most people. what do ya'll think. bigbill

Mambeaux
10-07-2008, 04:09 PM
I think every boat that is going is from Louisiana or Mississippi.....looks like Biloxi to me!

bigbill
11-01-2008, 09:49 PM
i spoke with representatives from the top two marinas, they are both excited and want to have us. when do ya'll think we should end the poll and move forward with a date and other plans? i also need to know how many boats will be in attendance so we can reserve slips. thanks, bigbill

skrmetta90
11-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Now, because Biloxi is in the lead:)

I'm doing a fair share of work to the boat, it'll be on the yard until next spring. The sooner we can get a hold of the date the better. Since i'm doing weekend work while commuting from Atlanta, 4-5 months isn't too much time! I need some good motivation.......

Nonchalant1
11-02-2008, 02:22 PM
i spoke with representatives from the top two marinas, they are both excited and want to have us. when do ya'll think we should end the poll and move forward with a date and other plans? i also need to know how many boats will be in attendance so we can reserve slips. thanks, bigbill

We'd love to come if we're anywhere near the area, but it'll depend on the date and place you guys pick. We'll be at Mobile to Destin once in December or January and again in late March or early April.

A.D.Herbert,Jr.
12-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Hello All:

I also votethe wharf in orange beach alabama

ADH, Jr.

omecojh
12-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Bill,

The Wharf would be a great place to gather.

Johnny (Eugenie)

Vincentc
12-09-2008, 08:42 AM
I suggest we close the polls and make plans. It is a close vote and we do not want a challenge. What about 12/20 to close the polls and lets get on with the details before it is hurricane season?

Vincent
Lilly Marie 43DC

ThirdHatt
12-09-2008, 09:15 AM
I suggest we close the polls and make plans. It is a close vote and we do not want a challenge. What about 12/20 to close the polls and lets get on with the details before it is hurricane season?

Vincent
Lilly Marie 43DC

Hurricane season just ended 9 days ago! 2009 Hurricane season doesn't start until June 1 which is 4-5 weeks AFTER the proposed rendezvous dates. I think we still have some time here, but I'll defer to BigBill on this one as he has spearheaded this gathering.

Mambeaux
12-10-2008, 10:27 AM
I still think that the people bringing boats should be the only ones to vote.

Vincentc
12-10-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm not suggesting we wait until the next herricane season. Just trying to make the point that time moves quickly. Bigbill asked in November when should we close the poll and move ahead with a date.

Mambeaux has a good point regarding the boats that are going should decide where to go.

I appreciate Bigbill's efforts and just want to help move this ahead.

The Schooner pier is the current leading vote getter. That site is fine with me, my preference, and I plan on attending. Nonchalant1 said late March early April and that is fine with me.

Bigbill, can you give us a date in that time frame?

bigbill
12-11-2008, 02:11 PM
i am going to let the poll run until jan. 15th, this gives everybody a chance to invite other owners to vote, and if we see anybody over the holidays that may want to join us they will have time to vote. these are the weekends that i am thinking about: april 17, 18, 19...april.24, 25, 26.... may 1, 2, 3....may 8, 9, 10... lets know what everybody thinks, and who will be bringing thier boats, if it is not at the location that you voted for, will you be able to attend? or attend with your boat? thanks for any input, bigbill

bigbill
12-11-2008, 02:43 PM
two of the voters' profiles say that they are not currently a hatteras owner, boogie woogie, and newhat, if either of you read this please let me know if you have a boat, what size, and will the boat be able to make the rendezvous. if anybody knows either of these members please have them reply. neither have been very active on the forum. bigbill

Sparky1
12-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Hey bigbill, I would assume Biloxi is the closest to you. I won't vote since I know we wouldn't come by boat, but if Al Scarborough wants to go to this thing, I probably will too.

How about it Al? Lose that goose egg on your posting history and speak up. :D

ThirdHatt
12-11-2008, 03:07 PM
There goes the neighborhood! ;)

ThirdHatt
12-11-2008, 03:52 PM
i am going to let the poll run until jan. 15th, this gives everybody a chance to invite other owners to vote, and if we see anybody over the holidays that may want to join us they will have time to vote. these are the weekends that i am thinking about: april 17, 18, 19...april.24, 25, 26.... may 1, 2, 3....may 8, 9, 10... lets know what everybody thinks, and who will be bringing thier boats, if it is not at the location that you voted for, will you be able to attend? or attend with your boat? thanks for any input, bigbill

Great plan, Bill. That still gives a full three months before the earliest proposed dates for planning.

Another big plus for having it at The Wharf is that Gulf Coast Hatteras is located there and would love to be involved.

JimmyB
12-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi
As an intro I am not currently a Hatteras owner but will be living aboard something in the near future. I vote for Orange beach because it lets me have Daquiri's on the aft deck of Big Bills Hatt on the way over. I plan to attend where ever it is held, either on my future boat or on Bills.
Jimmy

P.S. Anyone want to trade a Hatt for a House??????

bigbill
12-20-2008, 04:28 PM
i need to know how many people will be bringing thier boats, the vote is tie right now, so the venue with the most boats going will be the spot.... how about dates,,,, has anybody thought this over yet? should we make the date selection a poll? i need input to make this thing fun for all who attend. thanks for input!!!!!!! bigbill

Nonchalant1
12-21-2008, 01:13 PM
We'll be in Mobile for a while in early February on the way to Florida, going by the "Big Bend" route, then back through Mobile sometime in the last 2 weeks of March. We'd love to come if we're there on time as we cruise through.

Doug Shuman

58yfsb
12-22-2008, 01:09 PM
A quick search yielded the following events on the MS Coast for late March thru end of April which I think was the target. Probably need a similar set if we pick Orange Beach - but I'm not as familiar with that area.

Just trying to help pin down the dates sooner rather than later so I can plan to be there.

-------------------------

5th ANNUAL HOOTERS HOT ROD WEEKEND
March 27-29
Ol’ Skool Nostalgia Drag Racing, car show, music, games, food and fun! Family event!
Times: Friday 3pm until…; Saturday 9am-10pm; Sunday 9am-3pm
Location: Gulfport Dragway, 17085 Racetrack Road, 1 mile South I-10, Exit 31

3rd ANNUAL SMOKIN' THE SOUND
March 25-29 & April 4-5
This exciting EXPANDED event boasts OSS CAT powerboats clocking speeds anywhere from 100 mph-140 mph competing for top prizes, spectacular parties, great local entertainment, and the best in offshore racing with over 40 boats in 5 categories! Offshore powerboat racing thrills its fans with speed, high flying, and colorful racing boats and no binoculars needed!

ART IN THE PASS
April 4-5
Art in the Pass is a two-day outdoor fine arts festival that celebrates and promotes fine arts in the community! Artists display and sell their work to the public, children activities, food, a silent auction and live entertainment! Proceeds from the festival benefit the Dot Hector Memorial Art Scholarship and other art related programs!

KEESLER AIR SHOW “THUNDER ON THE BAY!”
April 4-5
Air show with all the sights & sounds of vintage & modern fighter jets performing amazing aerial acrobatics overhead, static displays that let visitors go into the cockpits of planes, military demonstrations, and more! An event NOT TO BE MISSED! Check back for more exciting details!

17th ANNUAL MISSISSIPPI COAST COLISEUM CRAWFISH FESTIVAL
April 16-19 & April 23-26
This annual event, held successfully for 17 years, includes delicious food, spectacular rides, challenging games, unique vendors, and musical entertainment!
It's no wonder it has been recognized by the Southeast Tourism Society as one of the top 20 events in the Southeast; and recently chosen as one of the top 200 events in the United States! That includes the event in a class with the Daytona 500!
The festival draws crowds from three states, and averages 55,000 guests during its two-weekend eight-day run!

33rd ANNUAL PASS CHRISTIAN BLESSING OF THE FLEET
April 26
Come watch as many boats - pleasure crafts to commercial shrimp boats – decorate and parade in front of the Pass Christian Harbor! A blessing will commence to protect shrimpers for the upcoming shrimp season! Judges will award prizes for best decorated boats!

markawilson
12-22-2008, 04:23 PM
I just voted for the Wharf as I have been there. Also have been to the schooner pier in Biloxi, actually docked there for a couple months where we found the tidal range to be such and the finger piers such that we could hardly get in or out of our boat. Orange Beach is great! Fort Morgan is my second choice. But i will be there if we go to Biloxi. Anything I can do to help with this let me know. Mid-april to mid-to-late May is great.
Mark A Wilson, Baton Rouge, La
225-241-3594
Angelus Pennae, 41" Hatteras convertible, docked at Port Fourchon, LA

Capt. Tobb
12-28-2008, 09:59 AM
So Billy, I vote that we have dingy races, the looser would have to clean the bilge of the winner. What do ya think? BTW do you know where I can get a 200hp with a tiller for the Tender Spot?

bigbill
01-09-2009, 11:53 AM
hey todd, i'll bring the dirtybird, she tops out at 47mph, although she is kinda big for a dingy race. be aware of byron too. bigbill

ThirdHatt
01-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Just to be fair here, for any dinghy to be eligible for the dinghy races it must be carried on the vessel that it supports. Otherwise, one could tow any speed boat to the rendezvous and then we'd just have regular races, not dinghy races. Not that any Gulf Coast HOF'ers would ever do anything like that, but just for the record! LOL

captbuddy
01-12-2009, 02:57 PM
A real dinghy race should exclude any motors. Give the captain and first mate a divers fin. Now that would be fun to watch. Heard they do that at Georgetown at their regatta.
captbuddy

captbuddy
01-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Bigbill,
I just told the wife if the rendezous was in June or during her spring break, I could take a vacation week and we could go over with our boat. Coming in from Panama City. Has anyone come up with any dates yet?
captbuddy

bigbill
01-14-2009, 04:06 PM
it looks like the wharf is our location. the best dates for me are may 1,2,3 and may15,16,17.the weekend between is mothers day, if we all go boating that weekend and don't see our mothers, i think they will call us mothers-------. so i dont think that is a good weekend. the wharf is ready to have us, they are very easy to work with, i need to know how many boats will be attending, and about how many people will be with each boat so we can plan for food. how does boiled shrimp,with corn and potatoes being the main dish,[splitting the cost between each boat] with every boat supplying a side dish,[pot luck style]sound??? david fayard and myself will arrange the shrimp and tables, bring your own chairs and drinks. the wharf is going to discount the slip rental depending on how many boats show up. regular rental is 2.00 ft per night. i would like to get everyones name,screenname, boat name and size so i can make a identification sheet [cheatsheet]for each attendee, so they can put screen names and boats together. any other ideas????? bigbill

58yfsb
01-15-2009, 09:46 AM
May 1-3 is better for me.

ThirdHatt
01-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Either of the dates work for me as my plan is to move Sweet Melissa to The Wharf mid-late April for the summer. I have a slight preference for the later date just in case something changes and I cannot get to The Wharf until May.

The boiled shrimp dinner sounds fantastic and some of the best seafood on the Gulf Coast is readily available in Orange Beach. I believe that it will be just be Melissa and I attending. Just a suggestion, you may want to consider a per person fee as opposed to per boat simply because several HOF members that are planning to attend cannot bring their boats. Also, some boats may only have one or two people on board but some of the bigger boats may have 6 or 8 people on board.

Info:

name: Byron & Melissa Burkhardt
screen name: ThirdHatt
boat name: Sweet Melissa
home port: Madisonville, LA
boat size/model: 58' Yachtfish
hull number: 58YF324

I added the hull number because it might be fun to list the hull numbers on the cheatsheet for those interested.

This is really shaping up to be a great rendezvous! THANKS BILL!!! :)

Mambeaux
01-15-2009, 11:04 AM
I like the 15-17th better and also think it should be "per person" rather than "per boat".

We WILL be bringing our boat.

Name: Jack & Susan Hamaker
Home Port: Pascagoula, MS
Screen name: Mambeaux
Boat name: Mambeaux
Boat size/model: 43' MY
Hull #: 43MY315

Vincentc
01-15-2009, 05:10 PM
It all sounds good to me.

I have no preference regarding the dates listed, I agree with the suggestions regarding a per person cost sharing.
I plan on bringing the boat, and will survey regarding how many people will be aboard. I would guess 4 aboard our boat. Let me know when you need a firm head count.

I suggest we also list homeport/departure port.

Let us know what we can do to help.

Vincent & Marie Castigliola
M/V Lilly Marie
Pascagoula MS
43 DC
HATAE560

Hull number listing has raised a question for me. How is it that Lilly Marie's 1983 hull number of 560 is higher than Mambeaux's 315. Jack's boat was built 2 years after mine. If the number is by model, did Hatteras build 560 43 DC's in roughly 12 years and 315 43 MY's in less than 2 years?

Nonchalant1
01-15-2009, 08:55 PM
it looks like the wharf is our location. the best dates for me are may 1,2,3 and may15,16,17.the weekend between is mothers day, if we all go boating that weekend and don't see our mothers, i think they will call us mothers-------. so i dont think that is a good weekend. the wharf is ready to have us, they are very easy to work with, i need to know how many boats will be attending, and about how many people will be with each boat so we can plan for food. how does boiled shrimp,with corn and potatoes being the main dish,[splitting the cost between each boat] with every boat supplying a side dish,[pot luck style]sound??? david fayard and myself will arrange the shrimp and tables, bring your own chairs and drinks. the wharf is going to discount the slip rental depending on how many boats show up. regular rental is 2.00 ft per night. i would like to get everyones name,screenname, boat name and size so i can make a identification sheet [cheatsheet]for each attendee, so they can put screen names and boats together. any other ideas????? bigbill

Bigbill - Ya' gotta' arrange a "Hatt Crawl" of course, so everybody can see everybody else's boat (if they agree they want to do that). It's fun.

Doug

captbuddy
01-16-2009, 10:26 AM
I guess I'll have to be the one to ask. What is a Hatt Crawl? I'm trying to see if we can bring our 42LRC from Panama City. If I cruise about 7 1/2 Kts, can someone tell me how long it would take me to get to the Wharf? I know I'll need to take time off before and after weekend to make it. The 15, 16,17 is OK for us.
captbuddy

Vincentc
01-16-2009, 12:03 PM
I don't know what it is either, but would guess if you go visiting from boat to boat, and had a drink at each, locomotion would be sort of a crawl.

The trip from Panama City to Orange Beach is very nice run. In August we traveled outside from Panama City to Destin then ICW. Not much to slow you down from 7.5 kts save occasional no wake zones. I do not have our trip notes handy and cannot say from memory how long it took, only that we thoroughly enjoyed it. We left PC in the morning, stopped in Destin for about 4 hours then ran ICW to an anchorage just East of Pensacola. The next morning we went back into the Gulf at Pensacola and went outside to Mobile Bay and were in Pascagoula well before sunset. You should make it in a day easy, but I would get an early start.

I suspect that if you subtract the longitude of your departure point from the longitude of the Wharf (in minutes) and divide that result by 7.5 that should be close to your run time. (a minute of longitude is about a statute mile and 7.5 kts with a few slow spots should average close to 7.5 mph.

Vincent

bigbill
01-16-2009, 02:53 PM
captbuddy, i know it is a 6.5 hr run from the wharf to destin at 8 knots, if you know how long it takes to get from p.c. to destin just add them together and that should give you a good estimate. that 6.5 is in the icw , including no wake zones. bigbill

poseidon
01-20-2009, 05:56 PM
I am planning to attend. Either of the May dates work for me. I'm not coming from that far (Dauphin Island), but may not be able to stay long either. Its hard to convince the wife to do overnighters in our little 34!

bigbill
01-21-2009, 02:01 PM
hey poseidon, not sure if you have been to the wharf, but they have condo's for rent if you want to spend the night. they have hotels pretty close by too, and i know we will have a car around to get you there if you choose to stay. bigbill

Nonchalant1
01-22-2009, 10:39 AM
I guess I'll have to be the one to ask. What is a Hatt Crawl? I'm trying to see if we can bring our 42LRC from Panama City. If I cruise about 7 1/2 Kts, can someone tell me how long it would take me to get to the Wharf? I know I'll need to take time off before and after weekend to make it. The 15, 16,17 is OK for us.
captbuddy

Sorry, a "Hatt Crawl" is like a "Pub Crawl" where everybody walks from boat to boat to see the other Hatts, what they're like inside, talk to the owners, carry their drink with them, and lie about the big waves they've endured. Shoes are left on the dock usually. Since it's other Hatt owners, nobody spills drinks on your helm station or pulls your engine emergency stop handles. Boats can opt out if they don't like that. It's organized over 2 hours or so and each owner picks and posts 45 minutes of the 2 hours that their boat will be unavailable because they'll be touring the other boats.

Doug

captbuddy
01-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Sounds great to me. Would enjoy that very much. Would love to show "Beach Nut" off, even though I still have a lot of things to complete.
captbuddy

bigbill
01-28-2009, 11:18 AM
i need more input on the date so i can move forward with arraingements. thanks, bigbill

ThirdHatt
01-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Bill, I have to up my slight preference for the later date to a stronger preference for the later date in mid-May. There is a cross-country road rally called the Gumball3000 that usually runs in Europe and on several continents but is wholly in the USA this year, running from Los Angeles to Miami and the dates are May1-May8.

We are considering doing this rally which would mean I would miss the rendezvous if it were the May2-3 date. Sweet Melissa will be at the Wharf by then I'm sure, but there is a chance I will not if we end up doing this rally. Bullrun is the other rally we usually do and it is not until July. Just not sure which one (or both) to do. Gumball3000's kickoff party is at the Playboy Mansion this year, so you can imagine which one I am leaning towards!

ReelSlinger
01-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Wharf is always tops... but the Mansion, well in this case I'd have to concur and choose topless.

bigbill
02-03-2009, 10:27 PM
so far, the third week in may is our date, unless we start getting votes for the first week soon. i am going to wait till mid to late feb. to see if anything changes, if not, i will start making arraingements then. bigbill

David Fayard
02-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Billy, we are going over to orange beach this weekend. I will contact some places about the seafood for the rendezvous. I will let you know the details.

David

ThirdHatt
02-11-2009, 08:25 AM
David, You probably already know this but for the record by far the best fresh seafood in the area is Blalock's. They supply all of the seafood restaurants from Fort Morgan to Pensacola! They are located maybe 1 mile west of the Wharf.

Hey Bill, I got my friend Bruce on "Overtime" to tentatively agree to come to the rendezvous. He has a 1975 Hatt 64MY.

David Fayard
02-11-2009, 08:59 PM
ThirdHatt,
Thanks for the recommendation. Blalock's is also one of our favorite places to get seafood.
Thanks, David

bigbill
02-12-2009, 10:32 PM
this thing is shaping up to be one hell of a party.....

ron6785
02-18-2009, 06:20 PM
We're heading up Kentucky lake but april time frame is too early for us.

ThirdHatt
02-21-2009, 06:21 AM
We're heading up Kentucky lake but april time frame is too early for us.

Ron, the dates for the Rendezvous are May 16th & 17th so hopefully you can make it after Kentucky Lake!

bigbill
02-27-2009, 10:04 AM
O K .... the 15,16 17th, weekend it is. now i assume sat., starting at around 11.00 o'clock a.m. would be a good time to kick off with the main gathering? IDEAS???? of course anybody there friday, or sunday could have a pre, or post drink together.. i will be calling the wharf today to make arraingements for people to reserve slips, etc.... i will be posting the info that i get later today. bigbill

bigbill
02-27-2009, 03:14 PM
DETAILS... we will be on the east side of the marina, against the west wall...[there is a galati yacht sale rendezvous on the west side where i originally wanted to go]. everyone please reserve your own slip,[first come first served] the daily rate is 2.00 per foot, if we get more than 8 boats the rate will be 1.50 per foot... tell them that you are with the hatteras owners group so they will give you the discount, and put our boats in the same area. we are going to try to put the same type of boats together, and try to get any friends side by side, if possible. the marina number is 251-224-1900. i think we will have about 15 boats, so it should be fun. i'll give further info as i get it... i will need an approximate head count per boat when we get a little closer[for shrimp]. bigbill

Capt. Tobb
02-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Billy, seriously, what time do the tender races start?

bigbill
03-01-2009, 12:50 PM
what are we going to have ...a slowest tender race???? it's a no wake zone.. bigbill

captbuddy
03-02-2009, 10:05 AM
I hear the way they do these races in the islands is to use only diving fins as paddles. or maybe just paddles!
captbuddy

bigbill
03-02-2009, 04:11 PM
more info....... gulf coast hatteras has offered to supply, and boil the shrimp. they will do it on site to give a more festive atmosphere... thanks gulf coast hatteras.......bigbill

ThirdHatt
03-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Gulf Coast Hatteras, THANK YOU!!!

So, how many of you have called The Wharf to reserve your spot? I reserved my slip beginning a month before the rendezvous to get ready and plan on staying two months after the rendezvouz to recover!!! :)

I spoke with Rob, the Dockmaster this afternoon and he informed me of their new special:Rent a slip and stay for one month, they will sell you fuel AT COST after the first month for as long as you stay @ The Wharf! NOT BAD, huh? This is going to be a GREAT summer!

bigbill
03-17-2009, 10:30 AM
anybody reading this post???? do we have any more input???? is everybody content with what we have planned????? bigbill

omecojh
03-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Billy,

I'll call the Wharf and reserve a slip.

Eugenie
42' Convertible
Metairie, La.

Thanks for doing all the work.

Johnny

captbuddy
03-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Looks like we might not be able to bring Beach Nut over. Wife unable to take enough time off to get there and back without pushing it. Don't want to be pressed for time. Might have to come by car. Might bring two other couples.
captbuddy

bigbill
03-23-2009, 10:01 PM
as of 12 o'clock today we have 6 boats with reservations at the wharf, everyone please make your reservations yourself, and contact beverly or rob mention that you are part of the hatteras owners group. bigbill

Mambeaux
03-24-2009, 09:55 AM
I made my reservation two week ago with Rob. I will be leaving Pascagoula around 3:00 PM Fri and returning Sun. afternoon.

Mambeaux
03-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Bill, why don't you list the six boats that are signed up and we'll see who else we can recruit.

Jack

Traveler 45C
03-24-2009, 02:52 PM
I just made my reservations. I’ll be arriving on Fri, departing on Mon.
Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Name: Greg Malarik
Screen Name: Traveler 45C
Boat name: Traveler
Home Port: Pensacola, Fl
Boat size/model: 1972 45 Convertible
Hull #: 45C445

Sparky1
03-24-2009, 03:02 PM
I just made my reservations. I’ll be arriving on Fri, departing on Mon.
Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Name: Greg Malarik
Screen Name: Traveler 45C
Boat name: Traveler
Home Port: Pensacola, Fl
Boat size/model: 1972 45 Convertible
Hull #: 45C445
Can I ride with you? :)

bigbill
03-24-2009, 06:53 PM
so far we have,,, mambeaux,blue thunder,mis b' havin,cabernet,sweet melissa,traveler,eugenie. i think sweet melissa is staying for the summer, misbhavin is staying the month of may. bigbill

bigbill
03-24-2009, 07:12 PM
i know of a few more boats that "say" they are coming, we'll see tight spot, miss lisa, four kings, power slave.....

bigbill
03-25-2009, 02:56 PM
"powerslave" has reserved his slip, i think we have eight now....bigbill

Traveler 45C
03-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Yesterday, when I called the marina to make my reservations I was offered the $1.50/ft discount.

Vincentc
03-26-2009, 06:00 PM
My son and I have made plans to go to boat school, and the term for Hatteras U, begins the day after the rendezvous. I do not see how we can run Lilly Marie home in time for a Sunday flight to Beaufort; therefore I do not think we will be bringing our boat to the Wharf. We will probably drive over, and if anything changes with school, I'll let you know.
Regards,
Vincent
43 DC Lilly Marie

bigbill
04-08-2009, 03:21 PM
i talked to rob at the wharf today, he said with the concert [sugarland] friday, our rendezvous, and galati yacht sales rendezvous on saturday, that the marina is getting a lot of calls for slips, if ya'll know anyone who wants to attend you might want to urge them to make thier reservations soon. bigbill

bigbill
04-13-2009, 03:54 PM
there is also a poker run that same day!!!!!!!!

omecojh
04-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Billy,

What's the latest up-date?

How many boats?

Are crayfish Friday or Saturday?

Thanks,

Eugenie

bigbill
04-13-2009, 09:46 PM
mr. johnny, its shrimp not crawfish, and they are on saturday. you had the fishing club and the hatteras rendezvous crossed up, we are having crawfish this saturday for the fishing club... see you there. bigbill

ThirdHatt
04-13-2009, 11:21 PM
I spoke with a fellow local Hatt owner from Slidell, LA that has a gorgeous and rare 1967 50YF that is now planning on attending! The boat's name is Bella Donna and she was treated to a full Awlgrip paint job in '07. That was the boat that convinced me to have mine done because she was being completed when I went in just for a bottom job. My knees got weak when I saw her shine and the rest as they say is history....

David Fayard
04-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Billy,
It looks like we will have twelve guest on Blue Thunder. We are looking forward to seeing everybody at the wharf.

David

bigbill
04-15-2009, 02:31 PM
i am going to need a head count of people attending, either by boat, or coming by car, so gulf coast hatteras knows how many shrimp to boil. i am looking to give this info to them by the weekend of may 2nd-3rd. some of you have already responded with your head count, if they are still accurate, there is no need to respond again.... thanks, bigbill

bigbill
04-15-2009, 03:02 PM
hey byron, can you get me some more info for the 50 hatt from slidell, owner name, screen name[if he has one], and how many people will be attending with them....... also the same for the 64 my. thanks, bigbill

markawilson
04-15-2009, 05:19 PM
I am confirming for the rendezvous - at least wife Lisa and I are coming over for at least Friday/Saturday nites and are looking forward!! Slip reservation made. This will be our first HATT-PARTY. We are going to be fishing/diving our way over from Belle Pass off the LA coast, so any luck we will have a tuna or three or a wahoo or four or maybe a big grouper or whatever we can manage, to share and then we will fire up the grill!

I have made this ride before to get over to Saunders Yachtworks - if the wind blows we will have an issue as this is 125 miles more or less and I have done this into 4-6ft seas from the east/northeast and it ain't fun. So we will be thinking calm and polite seas.

Angelus Pennae
41 Hatteras Convertible 1990
Mark A. Wilson
225-241-3594
markawilson@cox.net

bigbill
04-17-2009, 02:22 PM
we are up to ten registered boats......... is anybody willing to be the [official] photographer ? someone that can take pictures, post them here on the forum, and make discs for any attendees that may want a copy? do ya'll think we need a P.A. system for making announcements, and playing music? i have one that i can bring if ya'll think it is needed, it's kind of big and bulky to carry around if we aren't going to use it. bigbill

poseidon
04-20-2009, 09:18 AM
my wife and I were really looking forward to making the rendezvous, but dosent look like we will be able to.
Kamori (formerly "Overtime") is still on the hill and the shaft seal replacement is taking much longer than anticipated and is keeping us from finishing the remodel of the head. With no dockside baths/ showers at the warf, and the price per night for a condo, guess we'll have to try and catch yall next time.
Have fun!
David Purvis

ThirdHatt
04-20-2009, 09:51 AM
my wife and I were really looking forward to making the rendezvous, but dosent look like we will be able to.
Kamori (formerly "Overtime") is still on the hill and the shaft seal replacement is taking much longer than anticipated and is keeping us from finishing the remodel of the head. With no dockside baths/ showers at the warf, and the price per night for a condo, guess we'll have to try and catch yall next time.
Have fun!
David Purvis

David, sorry to hear that your boat is not going to be ready in time, but we all know how that goes. Do you live on Dauphin Island? If so, you could just drive over to the Wharf and spend the big day Saturday with us! Hope to see you there.

bigbill
04-20-2009, 01:41 PM
i talked to four more hatt owners saturday, they sound very intrested. a 65 sportfish, a 64 cockpit motoryacht, an older 41 sportfish, and a newer model 41 sportfish. hope they can make it. bigbill

ThirdHatt
04-20-2009, 02:17 PM
hey byron, can you get me some more info for the 50 hatt from slidell, owner name, screen name[if he has one], and how many people will be attending with them....... also the same for the 64 my. thanks, bigbill

Bill, I just spoke with Bruce on Overtime, the 64' MY and although he is going to be out of town on business he has encouraged his friend Greg to take his boat and come to the rendezvous. I asked him to see if Greg will commit soon and reserve a slip so hopefully he will let me know something before long.

I believe the 50YF has made a reservation @ the Wharf but I cannot seem to find his number. I'll see if I can get it from Seabrook when I go by this week to pick up the boat.

newhat
04-20-2009, 03:10 PM
My wife and I have made a reservation at the Wharf and plan to attend the rendevous. We will be moving our boat from Madisonville to Orange Beach May 6 and 7. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Rick and Debbie Corales
Newhat
Miss Kackee
1981 48 cpmy
Madisonville La

bigbill
04-21-2009, 11:37 AM
newhat makes 11 registered boats.....this is going to be a good time. bigbill

Sparky1
04-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Is anybody planning to bring their kids?

I'm thinking about bringing my soon to be 6 year old, but I'd hate for him to be the only kid around.

Traveler 45C
04-21-2009, 02:28 PM
I'll be bringing along my GF's 6yr old little boy :)

Can you imagine how much mischief those two could get into?

Sparky1
04-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Hey, kids are like puppies. It's much easier where there's more than one as they keep each other entertained. :D

bigbill
04-21-2009, 04:25 PM
i'll have a 15, a 16 and an 8 year old coming with me. thats the children, now the ones that act like kids are in thier 40's thru 60's. bigbill

bigbill
04-21-2009, 04:26 PM
i'll have my puppies too. bigbill

Traveler 45C
04-22-2009, 01:21 PM
I'll also have my puppy, my 12, 14 and 15yr old sons and 11yr old daughter.

Any other daughters coming? Mine will love to meet and hang with other girls.

Traveler 45C
04-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Have any thoughts been given to the wearing of our screen and real names other than the “Hello, I’m ______” name tags?

My thoughts were (and I’m going to do this) is have a few Tee shirts made with my names on them with a pic of my boat if I can pull that off.

Sparky1
04-22-2009, 01:47 PM
My thoughts were (and I’m going to do this) is have a few Tee shirts made with my names on them...So Greg, how many other names do you have? http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif

Actually, the idea of name tags would be a pretty good one IMO. I would suggest including HOF username(s). :D

Traveler 45C
04-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Ya, both names, HOF screen name and my real one on a tee shirt.

bigbill
04-22-2009, 02:12 PM
greg my 15 year old is a girl. i will pick up some "hello my name is" tags, and bring them with me. great idea. i am still making a cheat sheet with boat name, screen name, home port, boat size/type, hull i.d., and real name to pass out to everybody there. bigbill

ThirdHatt
04-22-2009, 11:05 PM
i will pick up some "hello my name is" tags, and bring them with me. bigbill

Oh yes, this is going to be BIG FUN!!! ;)

Sweet Melissa made it to the Schooner Pier in Biloxi today after a fantastic day on the water. The weather was GORGEOUS! We're headed out tomorrow for The Wharf.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon!!!

Deckhand
04-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Bigbill as far as the PA/STEREO, seems it would be better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it. I'm sure your deckhand would be happy to help load it. The Queen and I are looking forward to spending a little time with You and the Admiral. The Daquiri on the aft deck with Jimmy sounds good too.

Robby
04-26-2009, 03:46 PM
greg my 15 year old is a girl. i will pick up some "hello my name is" tags, and bring them with me. great idea. i am still making a cheat sheet with boat name, screen name, home port, boat size/type, hull i.d., and real name to pass out to everybody there. bigbillBrenda and Robby Bendall from Mobile will be there.Nubies no boat yet.When will be the best time to be there?Robby

bigbill
04-26-2009, 08:57 PM
robby, we havn't set a time yet, i had mentioned 11:00am in an earlier post, but i think that might be too early. i will get with gulf coast hatteras and see what time they want to cook the shrimp. i'm sure people will be roaming the docks all day. we just need a time for the shrimp to be served. bigbill

Robby
04-26-2009, 10:06 PM
robby, we havn't set a time yet, i had mentioned 11:00am in an earlier post, but i think that might be too early. i will get with gulf coast hatteras and see what time they want to cook the shrimp. i'm sure people will be roaming the docks all day. we just need a time for the shrimp to be served. bigbillOK If you would please do us a favor and tell us the name of your boat and a time and place to meet you it would be most helpful and we are thrilled at this opperunity.Robby

Capt Kenny
04-26-2009, 10:39 PM
BigBill - We plan to attend so long as you guys don't mind seeing work in progress. We're completing mechanical issues this week but will not have time to complete the galley prior to event. This will be our first Hat event and are really looking forward to it.
Capt Kenny
"The Queen" 64' CPMY

ThirdHatt
04-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Hey Bill, did you make it in this afternoon? We got the boat to The Wharf on Thursday and just got back home this evening. We left around 3:30 today and your slip was still empty. I was hoping that you might get there in time so that I would get to see you before we left, but it was not to be. I guess it is better this way because we would have started talking boats over cocktails and neither of us would have gotten home at a reasonable hour tonight!

There is a 50MY that I met last summer who stays at the Wharf all year round two slips over from mine named Banana Wind. The owner is a professional Captain on a larger vessel and this is his personal boat. Somehow he had not yet heard of our Rendezvous! I told him that we have been planning it for a while now and that it is really shaping up nicely. I also warned that our normally sedate end of the marina will be filled with a bunch of Hatt's next month all ready for a great time. He and his crew were excited and is looking forward to the festivities!

bigbill
04-27-2009, 11:33 AM
kenny, dont worry about what is not finished, BOATS ARE NEVER FINISHED, i wont have carpet in the bedrooms, and the formica for the dash is not in yet, plus a bunch of other stuff. byron, we delayed until friday the 1st, it was kind of windy on sunday, always remember, the trip to and from is part of the fun, it would not have been fun sunday. see you friday. bigbill

bigbill
04-27-2009, 11:35 AM
i talked to doug at sams, they are sending some goodies for the boats in attendance....THANKS SAMS MARINE,FOR THE FORUM AND THE GOODY BAGS.

Sparky1
04-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Got up with Al a little while ago and it sounds like he's not going to be able to make it. Al's still shy about posting, so I thought I'd pass the word. :D

I'm still planning to come but may or may not bring my son depending on how things go over the next couple of weeks. Can anyone suggest hotels in the area?

One other thing, at the risk of making this appear self-serving, if anybody is in need of a good safe (or ten :D), I can bring my truck (and trailer) instead of my car. It really would represent an opportunity to save members $$$ if there is a need. We all know things are getting rough out there crimewise, and yes, it would let me write off the trip. :D

bigbill
04-28-2009, 10:56 PM
hey randy, if you do bring your truck, i have a bow pulpit section of rail that i am donating to saltshaker, maybe you can bring it to tenn. and then ship it to him in new jersey to save $$$$$$ instead of shipping from mississippi. let me know... it measures 53inches by 53 inches. bigbill

Sparky1
04-29-2009, 06:52 AM
Sure, that wouldn't be a problem. I've got some pretty good rates with motor freight carriers as I'm assuming that it would have to be shipped by truck. It's also not beyond the realm of possibility I may drive the truck to YankeeFest in July if other opportunities present themselves.

PM me some specifics as to where you two are located along with the weight, and I can run some rates for you out of MS if things don't work out for me to drive the truck. It probably won't make much difference shipping from there vs TN.

poseidon
04-29-2009, 09:13 AM
David, sorry to hear that your boat is not going to be ready in time, but we all know how that goes. Do you live on Dauphin Island? If so, you could just drive over to the Wharf and spend the big day Saturday with us! Hope to see you there.

I live on MonLouis Island.
Yes, I am thinking the wife and I will drive over for the festivities on Saturday.
Is there an itenerary or is it more of a free for all.
Looking forward to meeting you all.
just curious, how did you know I was on/ around Dauphin Island?
David Purvis

bigbill
04-29-2009, 01:23 PM
david, in one of your posts you say that you are coming from dauphin island. bigbill

ThirdHatt
04-29-2009, 01:27 PM
I live on MonLouis Island.
Yes, I am thinking the wife and I will drive over for the festivities on Saturday.
Is there an itenerary or is it more of a free for all.
Looking forward to meeting you all.
just curious, how did you know I was on/ around Dauphin Island?
David Purvis

Glad to hear that you will be attending. I don't think there is a specific schedule other than Saturday is the main day so I would plan on being there for around noon on Saturday.

I just clicked your name/profile and you listed Dauphin Island! I have cut and pasted it below so that you can see what everyone else sees:

OWNER
Hatteras Model:
34' CONVERTIBLE (1965 - 1969)
State:
Alabama
Boat Name:
Overtime
Model Year:
Homeport:
Dauphin Island, AL

bigbill
04-29-2009, 01:27 PM
david, there is no set time for anything yet, probably mid afternoon 1ish-2ish to start, bigbill

bigbill
04-29-2009, 02:57 PM
randy, the rail measures 53x53x1inch thick, and weighs about 10lbs. i checked with UPS, and they can ship up to 54x54, so no need for motorfreight, i just thought if you took it to tenn. on your way home from the rendezvous, and shipped it from there it might save saltshaker some $$$$$$. bigbill

Sparky1
04-29-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm surprised UPS will handle something with those dimensions, but it's been a long time since I've shipped small parcels. One thing you'll get into though is they have a minimum charge for such pieces as that. As best I remember, the minimum charge for an oversized piece is based on 25 LBS regardless of the actual weight. It may be higher than that now.

I'd be happy to help any way I can, but I doubt it will make more than $5 worth of difference in shipping it from either point.

Now then, how about that hotel question? I fit nicely on most sofas if anybody has room. :D

Sparky1
05-01-2009, 01:49 PM
OK, just to update, I reserved a room at Phoenix All Suites in Gulf Shores as there didn't seem to be any better choices of accomodations according to the lady I spoke with at the marina. They had condo's, but I didn't need anything like that for just me and maybe the boy.

Anybody else staying at this facility?

bigbill
05-05-2009, 10:48 AM
UPDATE, we are up to 13 boats...... i need a head count for people attending, so gulf coast hatteras knows how many shrimp to boil. if you have already given me a head count and it hasn't changed, no need to respond. if you have not responded, i need your head count, if your head count has changed from earlier, i need an updated count. i am going to ask gulf coast hatteras to have the shrimp ready at about 2pm. so far the head count is at about 65 people...... any body have any suggestions? if anybody needs to talk to me my number is 228-341-1275. bigbill

Vincentc
05-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Bill, thanks for your efforts in bringing this together. 13 boats and 60+ people sounds good to me.

As I said earlier, Younger Vincent and I are leaving Sunday for Hatt U and will not be bringing Lilly Marie to the Vou. Marie and I do plan on driving over Saturday for the day. Please include us in the head count and let us know if any financial or in kind contributions are needed.

Look forward to seeing everyone. Speaking of everyone, is there going to a list of attendee's?

Regards,
Vincent Castigliola
43 DC Lilly Marie ( She ain't heavy; (Sparky) she's my boat)

bigbill
05-05-2009, 10:19 PM
vincent, i am going to try to make a list with everybodys name, hope i dont miss any. bigbill

ThirdHatt
05-05-2009, 11:03 PM
vincent, i am going to try to make a list with everybodys name, hope i dont miss any. bigbill

Bill, I am curious now that Vincent asked about a list. What are you guys thinking of, a preliminary list of who plan to attend or a list of actual attendees from the event?

We could do a sign-in sheet where owners list their names, boat name/year/model and also have a box to check off if their boat is present at the rendezvous.

Hatteras owners often travel with an entourage, so a significant head count is to be expected but it will be interesting to see how many are owners rather than guests. It's going to be fun!

bigbill
05-06-2009, 09:38 AM
byron, i like the idea of a sign/guest list as people show up. i have hats and huggies from sams marine for each boat that is present. bigbill

bigbill
05-06-2009, 03:49 PM
we are up to 14 registered boats......i got some goodies in the mail from sams today.... gulf coast hatteras is going to have the shrimp ready about 2:00pm, and they are working on some stuff for the boats participating..... i will have a sign up sheet for everybody attending.. bigbill

Sparky1
05-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Bill, forgive me if this has already been posted, but can you post an event schedule as it relates to times on Friday & Saturday?

We'll be coming down on Friday afternoon unless there's something going on earlier in the day. If that's the case, we may head out late Thursday afternoon and drive as far as Montgomery or so.

bigbill
05-07-2009, 11:04 AM
nothing scheduled for friday except welcoming some boats in, and helping them get settled.[i'm sure there will be some of that drinkin and tellin lies goin on]. saturday is the main day, start visiting with people in the AM until the shrimp are ready, then we can eat as a group, then back to drinkin and visiting, until you drop. at least that is how i see it. everybody please sign in when you get here. i will have a sign up sheet at my boat. MIS B' HAVIN slip 87. bigbill

Sparky1
05-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Maybe I'll just make Friday my offical beach day with the boy. Funny, the name of my first twin engine cruiser was Miss Behavin'.

Robby
05-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Well we got to meet Bill and his pretty Lady last Sat and we had a great time.See you next Friday.Robby and Bren

bigbill
05-11-2009, 10:47 PM
got a call earlier today, we might have another 53c coming to the rendezvous. will post any updates as i get them. bigbill

bigbill
05-12-2009, 03:22 PM
just a few guidelines for the upcoming rendezvous. do not board any boats without the owners permission, don't pick on randy,[sparky1, freebird] too much, don't give todd[capt. tobb] too much hell about his viking, they are both really nice guys. every boat please bring a covered dish, or snack. and PLEASE, THANK OUR SPONSORS....THE WHARF, SAMS MARINE, AND GULF COAST HATTERAS. this would not have been as nice of an event without thier help. thanks, bigbill.......anybody have anything else to add, please feel free to do so.

CARL GUZMAN
05-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Hello all old salts from the past, sorry I read back a few pages but didn't see the date and location can you re-post it??
Miss you guys hope I can make it

Sparky1
05-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Hello all old salts from the past, sorry I read back a few pages but didn't see the date and location can you re-post it??
Miss you guys hope I can make itBubbAmigo!!! You gotta come man, especially since you missed FLIBS for the past two years. Date is this Saturday at The Wharf in Orange Beach at the west end of the Redneck Riviera. Haul it on up here... we've got some catching up to do. I'll even put you up on the couch in the condo Ryan and I are in. http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif

Sparky1
05-12-2009, 06:29 PM
just a few guidelines for the upcoming rendezvous. do not board any boats without the owners permission, don't pick on randy,[sparky1, freebird] too much...Hey, where I come from, if nobody picks on you, that means they don't like you. :D

Speaking of picking (and grinning), I'll be sure to bring some good ole' Southern tunes for ya'll. I'll pack up some Skynyrd CD's (of course) and some other such stuff. Heck rumor has it you're into Nine Inch Nails, so maybe I'll try to find something from them as well. http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif

Deckhand
05-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Nothing wrong with southern rock, a little Jimmy Buffet not bad either.
Bigbill dont forget the IPOD.....

Brenda
05-13-2009, 05:13 PM
bigbill please give Rob and Bren a call 251-454-8692 we would llike to give you guys a hand -- maybe fix some food or something

SKYCHENEY
05-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Randy,

By "southern" music, do you mean country? I'd rather hear nails on a blackboard than listen to country music. I guess I'll stay home. :D

Sparky1
05-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Randy,

By "southern" music, do you mean country? I'd rather hear nails on a blackboard than listen to country music. I guess I'll stay home. :DNope, the only thing I detest more than country is rap. Does that mean you're coming now?

If so, I'll see if I can borrow a copy of David Allen Coe's X-rated album. That should work if we can't find somebody to rake their nails on a blackboard. :D

SKYCHENEY
05-13-2009, 07:43 PM
You hit the nail on the head regarding country. Even though you won't be playing it, though, I still won't be able to make it down there. Have fun and don't forget to post some pictures.

Sparky1
05-13-2009, 07:46 PM
I've got my camera packed, and Ryan has his Crayons. One way or the other, there will be pictures. Man, these old lungs are ready for some salt air.

SKYCHENEY
05-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Somehow I just have a feeling that this is going to really be a great rendezvous. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think there is going to something to talk about after this one. Have fun and we'll all look forward to some great pictures.

bigbill
05-14-2009, 09:17 AM
robby and bren, thanks for the offer of help, everything is being taken care of by our sponsors, if you want to bring a dish, the tables will be set up for food by about noon on saturday, bring it then, we dont want a bunch of stuff sitting around for the ants to get at. see you then. bigbill

JimmyB
05-14-2009, 09:37 AM
I have the david Allan Coe X album. Somehow this album may not be the best to play in public. But i will bring it.

Jimmy
"Hatt for a House"

Sparky1
05-14-2009, 09:42 AM
I have the david Allan Coe X album. Somehow this album may not be the best to play in public. But i will bring it.

Jimmy
"Hatt for a House"Nah, now that we know Sky's not coming, we won't need it. :D

On a different note, can anybody tell me exactly where to come for this thing? Obviously I understand it's at The Wharf and I have their address, but I assume this is a large marina. Do I just roll down the windows and listen or can somebody tell me where to go?

Yeah, I left myself wide open on that last one, but I have to toss you guys an easy one from time to time. :D

ThirdHatt
05-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Randy, our boats are stern-to the parking lot that is under the bridge. The Bridge is at the end of the Foley Beach Express road, a toll road which splits off of Hwy 59 (which runs from I-10 down to Gulf Shores) and dumps you right at The Wharf.

When you get to The Wharf, you will see the condo complex on the east side of the bridge and we are right there behind the condo building stern-to the bridge. If you have any questions when you get close just call my cell.

Looking forward to it!!! :)

Sparky1
05-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Cool. I'm staying on East Beach Blvd. which is apparently only a tenth of a mile off 59 according to MapQuest. Surely I can find the place from there without any problems. We'll make a test run on Friday and see what's what.

I feel a party coming on, but the little guy will keep me in check... as it should be. I'll be the picture of moderation. :)

BTW, I assume there are plenty of taxi's around... you know, just in case. http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif

bigbill
05-14-2009, 04:39 PM
just got confirmation of 2 more boats coming. bigbill P.S. looks like 80% chance of a drunk front on saturday, followed by a foggy morning sunday, then slowly clearly, with a possibility of a mild drunk front on sunday afternoon.

Deckhand
05-14-2009, 07:09 PM
So whats the confirmed number of boats?

Robby
05-14-2009, 08:27 PM
robby and bren, thanks for the offer of help, everything is being taken care of by our sponsors, if you want to bring a dish, the tables will be set up for food by about noon on saturday, bring it then, we dont want a bunch of stuff sitting around for the ants to get at. see you then. bigbill.Well we are going over early in the Morn.We had a thought to have some beef or lamb cooked when yall got here.We dont want to be pushy and we are not.I do have a dutch apple cobbler cooking at this time .Sparky should be able to smell it in the Tennessee Valley if he would go up on deck.We really appericate your invite into this group.See you at your Boat on Friday afternoon and we are looking forward to a great weekend.PS if we can transport anyone they want to go we want to help.Robby and Bren In Mobile.

Sparky1
05-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Sparky should be able to smell it in the Tennessee Valley if he would go up on deck.So THAT'S what that smell was. I kept pulling over and raising the hood on the car as I thought we'd hit a possum. :D

Me and the boy just pulled into a Hampton Inn in Greenbow, Ala-bama. Maybe it's Greenville, but anyway, we're that close. I think we're going to go check out the USS Alabama in Mobile before we head on down tomorrow. As best I remember from the GPS, we're about 100 miles out.

bigbill
05-14-2009, 09:46 PM
we are up to 16 now with 4 pending,should be a good time. bigbill

ThirdHatt
05-14-2009, 10:35 PM
.Well we are going over early in the Morn.We had a thought to have some beef or lamb cooked when yall got here.We dont want to be pushy and we are not.I do have a dutch apple cobbler cooking at this time .Sparky should be able to smell it in the Tennessee Valley if he would go up on deck.We really appericate your invite into this group.See you at your Boat on Friday afternoon and we are looking forward to a great weekend.PS if we can transport anyone they want to go we want to help.Robby and Bren In Mobile.

Robby, What Bill is politely trying to say is that nothing is planned for Friday at all. Saturday is the day to come and bring food if you like. Friday is really just for boat owners and crew only. Everyone will be busy getting ready for Saturday's festivities.

Bill will not be here yet in the afternoon because he works Friday in New Orleans and then after work he has to stop in Mississippi and pick up Kim and all of the children and then head to the boat. Bill told me that there are 10 people staying on his boat, so it will take him a while just to get situated!

Sorry for any confusion. See you Saturday.

yachtsmanbill
05-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Enjoy your tour of the CSS Alabama!! Plan on a full day with that, the USS Drumm, the planes etc... ws

bigbill
05-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Robby, What Bill is politely trying to say is that nothing is planned for Friday at all. Saturday is the day to come and bring food if you like. Friday is really just for boat owners and crew only. Everyone will be busy getting ready for Saturday's festivities.

Bill will not be here yet in the afternoon because he works Friday in New Orleans and then after work he has to stop in Mississippi and pick up Kim and all of the children and then head to the boat. Bill told me that there are 10 people staying on his boat, so it will take him a while just to get situated!

Sorry for any confusion. See you Saturday.

Hey Byron:

Big Bill's Admiral Kim here. Thank you so much for clarifying the details regarding the party that will take place on Saturday only. We are very much looking forward to the time on Friday with close family. I am a bit overwhelmed with all the details and with transporting the kids after Bill gets off of work and don't think we can handle a party or meet and greet on Friday. Thanks so much for catching our backs. We'll see everyone Saturday! Love ya---Kim

Robby
05-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Kim, Thats cool;We understand and get the message and will gladly see yall on Sat.Robby and Bren

Mambeaux
05-15-2009, 10:03 AM
We're going to try to leave Pascagoula around 3:00 and should be in around 7:00. Somebody catch a line.....:)

Deckhand
05-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Deckand and the Queen pulling out at 1000, W.A.G. 1300-1330. Looking forward to seeing everybody, old friends and new friends. Will be happy to help anyone catch a line "IF AVAILABLE" Queen says something about shopping after getting situated.

Deckhand
05-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Queen to Admiral, dont worry about the kids, we will get them situated. i'll have bubbly waiting on you!!!!!

Sparky1
05-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Hit the battleship early this morning (damn was it hot!!!), and just checked into the condo at Gulf Shores. Getting ready to check out the pool and beach with the young 'un, then we'll make a test run down to the marina later and maybe scope out some restaurants.

Anybody hear anything from Traveler 45C?

ThirdHatt
05-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Randy, there are over a dozen restaurants right here @ The Wharf. For the little one, Johnny Rocket's is fun which is right by the ferris wheel and zip line, but you should probably try Guy Harvey's Island Grill. The place is awesome and the food is very good. Just across from Guy Harvey's is a higher end Italian Rrestaurant called Villagio's and it is fantastic. Get your eating out done today because there will be plenty of food here at the Rendezvous tomorrow.

See you soon! :)

poseidon
05-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Guys,
Sitting in the living room this AM (basically due west over the bay from the Warf) and watching you guys get hammered (with rain).
I assumed most of this was going to be an outside thing. If the rain dosent blow out in time, whats the contingency plan?
Fyi, I have a couple extra folks coming along (I hadnt anticipated the inlaws being in town).
If we can bring anything (party tents, etc) call me (251) 656-2352
David A. Purvis

Sparky1
05-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Just left the rendezvous to spend some time at the beach with the boy. It was good seeing old friends again, meeting new friends, and meeting those I've spoken with on the phone over the years. Gulf Coast Hatteras did a fine job which was appreciated by all who attended.

Here are a few photos of the event, but I'm sure there will be more to follow when we return to The Wharf later this evening.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/orangebeach065.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/orangebeach077.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/orangebeach079.jpg

Sparky1
05-16-2009, 05:15 PM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/orangebeach080.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/orangebeach081.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/orangebeach085.jpg

Sparky1
05-16-2009, 05:16 PM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/orangebeach066.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/orangebeach067.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/orangebeach068.jpg

Sparky1
05-16-2009, 05:16 PM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/orangebeach075.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/orangebeach076.jpg

Angela
05-16-2009, 05:30 PM
What a great turnout!! Wish I could have been there, but it's a bit far for me.

Sparky1
05-16-2009, 05:33 PM
As I recall, we had 14 boats and some 65 HOF members in attendance. Hey, YankeeFesters, I think yoose gize have your work cut out for you. :D

Sparky1
05-16-2009, 05:53 PM
One more thing, Ryan and I would like to say a big thank you to David Fayard and the crew of Blue Thunder for their hospitality. They fed us, watered us, let us go pee-pee on their boat, and provided a nice underwater light for Ryan and the other kids to catch a few minnows, shrimp, and crabs last night.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/orangebeach053.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/orangebeach054.jpg

yachtsmanbill
05-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Looks like a great time!! We cant compete with that with only a handful of hatts up here on the lakes...
Thanks for the pics and the call Birdboy! Cell service stinks at the yard here... theres a cell tower right in front of the boat and it seems to overmodulate the signal. Have fun you guys and send special regards to BigBill, Byron, and David Fayard. ws

Robby
05-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Bren and I had a great time.We were "Invited Guest" sence we are "Gonna Beeeees"Thanks Kim and Bill and we got to spend some quality time with Sparky/Freebird.That was a nice treat!!!We went to meet and great and see the boats and learn and we did all of this.We think that we have found our future type of boat in the 43 DCMY.We were able to board the one here today from Pasagoula Ms.It meets all of the things we say we need and want.I'm sorry I cant remember the boats name or owner But he was very nice to me and we hope we can see all of them soon.Thanks for letting us view you home.Robby and Bren from Mobile

Sparky1
05-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Here are a few more shots from last night. I'll withold the names to protect the innocent as well as those in various witness protection programs. :D

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/orangebeach086.jpg

I'm pretty sure this guy's a rock star.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/orangebeach087.jpg

I never thought I'd be proud to hear my son say, "Hey Daddy, I've got crabs".

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/FREEBIRD58/orangebeach090.jpg

Well, that does it for me, but I'm sure others will have plenty of pictures to post. Time to pack up the car and head back north to Tennessee. Can you believe these boys refer to me as a Yankee from up north? Seems they draw the line at I-10. Who knows?... maybe I'll draw it there myself some day.

Capt Kenny
05-17-2009, 07:15 PM
“Thanks” to everyone for this well organized event. My Hat of to you, it was Awesome!!!!!

Big Bill - Next year we’ll make reservations earlier so we can be with the group. For a moment I had my doubts about being finished with mechanical issues. Thanks.

Capt Kenny
"The Queen"

omecojh
05-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Bill, Byron, David and all who helped organize this event-THANKS!!!

Johnny
"Eugenie"

David Fayard
05-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Big Bill,

Great job. Thanks for all your hard work in making the rendezvous a success. It was nice to meet new friends who have the same interest.
Also thank you Sams, Gulf Coast Hatteras and The Wharf.

Randy, thank you for the kind words.

David

poseidon
05-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks to Big Bill & the guys from Gulf Coast Hatteras & Sam's for putting on a great event.
My family and I enjoeyd meeting all of you and genuinely appreciated the tours of your boats.
Looking forward to having Kamori back in the water in a couple weeks and dialed in for next year's roundup!
Our sincerest thanks again.
David Purvis

bigbill
05-18-2009, 04:02 PM
official count on boats, 16, head count for people, 85. thanks gulf coast hatteras, samsmarine, and the wharf. looking forward to next year. bigbill

Genesis
05-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Sorry I couldn't get there - I had family (read: kid-related) things that blocked me all weekend....

Deckhand
05-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Wanted say "THANKS" to Gulf Coast Hatteras, The Wharf, Sams Marine.
We had a great time, weather cooperated, special thanks to G.C.H. for the setup and the planning of the shade worked perfectly, I'm sure it was appreciated by all. Hatt's off to all the chefs, G.C.H.,CAPT. TOBB, BIG BILL, DAVID FAYARD. Everything i consumed was delicious. Enjoyed seeing all the old friends "MS GULFCOAST", and meeting some new ones.
Keelie and I had a GREAT TIME, See Ya'll again this weekend!!!!!!

Sparky1
05-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Come on guys, don't tell me I'm the only one who took a few pictures.

Deckhand
05-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the pictures Randy,
I'll have to admit I'm electronically challenged!!!!!
Maybe some of the other attendees can post some pictures.
I think Bigbill has the website from the local photographer who was taking pictures.
Bill?

bigbill
05-18-2009, 10:26 PM
a thank you to all who attended, and a BIG thank you to everyone who brought thier boats, and our sponsors....... without ya'll there wouldn't be a rendezvous. bigbill ps the local news website is www.orangebeach.ws we are not on the site yet, i just checked

Sparky1
05-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Looks like it's up now.

http://www.orangebeach.ws/2009/News/2009-05-17-Mississippi_Hatteras_Owners_Club_Rendezvous_at_The _Wharf_Marina.html

JimmyB
05-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Big Bill started something that grew daily beyond initial expectations. It was not surprising that it became the party it was. The only thing missing was BigBillsBigSpeakers. He does everything big, can't you tell.

It was an opportunity for a group of people without faces to meet and greet.

Blue Thunders Crab appetizer was killer.

There were suprises both good and bad but mostly good.

Gulf Coast Hatteras showed they are a class act with their participation.

Our deckhand decided to buy the MY as soon as his lottery check comes in.

Thanks to all who participated and thanks to Bill for the invite.

Here is a link to the few pics from my cel. I left my 1 day old camera at home
hopefully it works. I have not posted enough to add a link but hopefully this will work.
Go to:
picasawebDOTgoogleDOTcom/gotfwpicasa/HatterasRendevous51609?feat=directlink[/url]

Traveler 45C
05-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Better late than never. :(

I’m glad I made the party even though I couldn’t bring my boat as planned. The kids really had a good time hanging out on Bill’s boat, fishing and crabbing.

I wish I was able to get passed Bill’s boat and see the boat’s down there, but I didn’t want to upset Bill’s dogs too much. My dog really, really wanted to play with them.

It was nice meeting those of you I did meet and regret not meeting those I didn’t.

Thanks Bill for setting it up!

‘Till next time…..when’s the next one?

SKYCHENEY
05-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Nice article and slideshow. I really liked the pic of the big "Hatteras" houseboat. Nice touch. :)

Sparky1
05-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Big Bill started something that grew daily beyond initial expectations. It was not surprising that it became the party it was. The only thing missing was BigBillsBigSpeakers. He does everything big, can't you tell.

It was an opportunity for a group of people without faces to meet and greet.

Blue Thunders Crab appetizer was killer.

There were suprises both good and bad but mostly good.

Gulf Coast Hatteras showed they are a class act with their participation.

Our deckhand decided to buy the MY as soon as his lottery check comes in.

Thanks to all who participated and thanks to Bill for the invite.

Here is a link to the few pics from my cel. I left my 1 day old camera at home
hopefully it works. I have not posted enough to add a link but hopefully this will work.
Go to:
picasawebDOTgoogleDOTcom/gotfwpicasa/HatterasRendevous51609?feat=directlink[/url]Couldn't get that one to work. Send me a PM with the actual url and I'll post it for you.

ThirdHatt
05-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Couldn't get that one to work. Send me a PM with the actual url and I'll post it for you.

Randy, just take out the DOT and replace with a . and dump the url on the end and it works.

Try this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gotfwpicasa/HatterasRendevous51609?feat=directlink#

Sparky1
05-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Cool. Who's the big, fat guy with the pony tail? :D

Traveler 45C
05-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Randy....... Stop it....

Sparky1
05-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Hey, just because you're a rock star doesn't mean....

OK. :(

Sparky1
05-20-2009, 09:51 AM
One thing I must say is that I was very impressed with Byron's boat. I definitely walked away with some new ideas on how I'd like to fix up my 58. Maybe he's posted pics on here already, but the granite surfaces he used really looked great in the galley and in the heads. I never realized you could simply install a surface over the existing vanity as opposed to having to tear the things out.

Mambeaux
05-20-2009, 10:44 AM
We had a great time!

I just want to say what a great time Susan and I, and our guest Bill and Laura had. You never know what you are going to run into when you
meet up with a group of people that you have really never spent time with in person. It was fun!!

THANKS!! To BigBill, Kim, Sam’s, Gulf Coast Hatteras, the guys that cooked the shrimp from Gulf Coast Hatteras, and all the vendors that put
together the nice gift bags.

We can’t wait until next year!!

Randy nice meeting you and thanks for the pictures.

Jack & Susan

Robby
05-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Well thank you from Gonna bees and future Loopers Robby and Brenda Bendall.As we looked down the line of boats I told Bren that your boat was the one that "Fit the BILL" for us.Thanks to your mate for letting us see it!!!! Robby

Sparky1
05-21-2009, 11:58 AM
I have a feeling Ryan was paying very close attention this week-end. I got this email from his kindergarten teacher yesterday. Maybe it's best I don't take him to YankeeFest in July. :D

I have to tell you a funny story about today. We have an activity called "the mystery box" that the kids do every week. I put something in it and they get to shake it and then make three different guesses as to what they think might be in it. You have probably seen these papers come home in his folder every now and then.

Well, today I put the box out and told them it was going to be harder this week so I would give them a clue. The clue was "teacher appreciation week". They all worked on their guesses (drawing and writing them) and we came together to go over them all as a group.

When I go over them in group, I hold up their paper (with the back side to me) so they can see it and ask the "author" to read what his/her guesses were. So I wasn't looking at the front of Ryan's paper when I held his up for him to share.

To my surprise, out of his mouth pops, "a bottle of beer"! I jerked the paper around and said, "What?"

Sure enough, he had illustrated a perfectly good bottle of beer and phonetically sounded it out.

Needless to say, we had a big laugh about that as a class. And I told Ryan it was definitely a creative guess (I am always hounding them to be original, not to copy someone else's guesses, and try to think of new things rather than list the same old things every week), but I don't drink beer.

He seemed a little disappointed that I didn't drink beer, but he really enjoyed the fun we had with his guess.

What a stinker!
Julie

By the way,it was a fake flower in the box....someone gave me for teacher appreciation.

Mambeaux
05-21-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm just glad he didn't draw a "vodka drink"!

Sparky1
05-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Speaking of vodka drinks, I still have one of your personalized drinking devices off your boat. I forgot to take you up on your offer of a free refill, but I'll hang on to it until next time.

BTW, you still owe me a tour of your boat. It was good to finally put a face on your voice. Thanks again for the vodka drink and the free cup. :D

ThirdHatt
05-21-2009, 07:50 PM
BTW, you still owe me a tour of your boat. It was good to finally put a face on your voice. Thanks again for the vodka drink and the free cup. :D

Wait a second.... I thought it was Jack's guest (Bill) who was offering tours? :)

Mambeaux
05-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Hell I walked onto the aft deck of Mambeaux and Bill ask ME if I wanted a tour.....I told him I couldn't afford it!

bigbill
07-21-2009, 03:46 PM
anybody else have any pictures? the northeast guys and gals are already trying to pick a date for next years event. anybody care to start the looking at this yet for our event ???????? this years event went so smooth, there isn't too much to worry about except date and location. what do ya'll think? bigbill

Deckhand
07-21-2009, 07:41 PM
I''ll vote for the Wharf, everything you need is there, even the shade!!!!
Do I have a place to sleep?
Maybe I'll wash it again, I'll be sure to stay HYDRATED!!!!!

Sparky1
07-22-2009, 12:42 PM
anybody else have any pictures? the northeast guys and gals are already trying to pick a date for next years event. anybody care to start the looking at this yet for our event ???????? this years event went so smooth, there isn't too much to worry about except date and location. what do ya'll think? bigbillHow would it work to have another rendezvous to coincide with the Blue Angels flying over Pensacola Beach next year?

It seems to be an easy run from The Wharf and would give us a chance to run and raft all our Hatts, weather permitting. Heck, if things work out, I'll FINALLY show up at one of these things on my own boat. Maybe some of you other river boaters could sign on as well. It would be fun to have a group come down the Tenn-Tom.

Capt. Tobb
07-22-2009, 10:42 PM
I vote we do it at the Wharf again around the same date. I do like the idea of having the event coinside with the blue angels but may be difficult to pull off on the same weekend. How about the weekend before or after?

bigbill
07-23-2009, 09:19 AM
i agree with todd, the rendezvous and the blue angels would be too much for one weekend. lets keep them seperate. bigbill

ThirdHatt
07-23-2009, 10:18 AM
I agree as well. Let's keep the Gulf Coast Hatteras Rendezvous in May. It's a great way to kick off the summer season! Blue Angels are yet another reason for a get together a couple months later, but not appropriate for a gathering as big as we have proven to attract for our official rendezvous.

I did hear a vicious rumor that the Blue Angels were to be disbanded after this year, another obama-ism for sure. I doubt it is true, as it would be a terrible shame. If so, at least I got to see the last big show!

Sparky1
07-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Hey, it was just a thought, but I don't see how having a secondary destination could have any effect on anything other than not having enough room to carry those who show up boatless. Yeah, I'm setting myself up with that one huh? :D

Seriously, it would seem like a neat thing to do in terms of picking a spot for everyone to cruise together out of and back to The Wharf, parade style. Let's face it, we're not talking about a lot of boats here. I assume dock space is at a premium during the Blues' shows, but there are lots of other "destinations" we could look at if the idea appeals to enough people.

I guess I'm just looking at this like a motorcycle ralley of sorts. People come from all over to attend, but they don't just park their bikes and stay put the whole time. Just a thought.

Capt. Tobb
07-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Byron, I have good news and bad news. Just called the Blue Angels public affairs office and was told that the birds will be flying next season. Thats the good news. The bad news is that due to administration cuts the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off till further notice.....

JimmyB
07-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Will the Wharf have a large enough slip for Byrons next boat, or should I say SHIP???

Jimmy

ThirdHatt
07-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Will the Wharf have a large enough slip for Byrons next boat, or should I say SHIP???

Jimmy

Sure they will! I've already spoken to the dockmaster just in case the new boat deal does actually happen. He said I can go on a T-head or on the outside. I kind-of like the idea of the outside so that I can catch the bridge shade more of the day! We just have to figure out how we can move that houseboat from the end slip so that BigBill's boat can still be right next door! :)

SKYCHENEY
07-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Sure they will! I've already spoken to the dockmaster just in case the new boat deal does actually happen. He said I can go on a T-head or on the outside. I kind-of like the idea of the outside so that I can catch the bridge shade more of the day! We just have to figure out how we can move that houseboat from the end slip so that BigBill's boat can still be right next door! :)

Have you even stopped to think that you may not be invited if the new boat isn't a Hatteras?

ThirdHatt
07-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Have you even stopped to think that you may not be invited if the new boat isn't a Hatteras?

Good point Sky. Assuming it will be at the Wharf again, I'll already have the boat there for the summer so I guess they'll just have to deal with me if I'm not invited.

Capt Tobb's boat is a Viking and he was invited this year. Heck, his name was even on the cake so I think I'll be okay even if my boat doesn't say Hatteras on the side. Then again, those cool black plastic script Hatteras badges are only $11/each from Sam's so maybe I could stick those on the sides for the rendezvous!

JimmyB
07-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Will the new ship fit under the bridge???????

Jimmy

Sparky1
07-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Have you even stopped to think that you may not be invited if the new boat isn't a Hatteras?No offense to anyone, but that's an interesting question. I suppose it depends on how the rendezvous is listed. Is it for HOF members or is it for those who currently own a Hatteras?

If Byron puts Hatt stickers on whatever this thing is he's looking at, I'll do the same with my Whaler and save a butt load on fuel. :D

ThirdHatt
07-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Will the new ship fit under the bridge???????

Jimmy

Oh jeez Jimmy, it isn't that much bigger than the Hatt 64MY that was under the bridge for the rendezvous. It's made of fiberglass anyway, ships are steel. :)

When are you going to come back to Billy's boat?

ThirdHatt
07-23-2009, 07:04 PM
No offense to anyone, but that's an interesting question. I suppose it depends on how the rendezvous is listed. Is it for HOF members or is it for those who currently own a Hatteras?

If Byron puts Hatt stickers on whatever this thing is he's looking at, I'll do the same with my Whaler and save a butt load on fuel. :D

Randy, I was just joking about the Hatteras badges. I think that everyone would know a Whaler when they see one no matter what it says on the side. ;) You're welcome to bring the Whaler too, but I agree it's high time that as a two-Hatteras owner you actually bring one to a Rendezvous for once!

I believe the Rendezvous is meant for HOF Members, current Hatteras owners and past Hatteras owners. Once you've joined the club and made friends, nobody cares if you currently have a Hatteras or not. Friends are friends. Hatteras just brings us together! :)

Sparky1
07-23-2009, 07:14 PM
I was just messing with you Byron, but I think it would be in poor taste to eat the free food provided by Gulf Coast Hatteras if you don't own a Hatt. :D

ThirdHatt
07-23-2009, 07:55 PM
I was just messing with you Byron, but I think it would be in poor taste to eat the free food provided by Gulf Coast Hatteras if you don't own a Hatt. :D

I know Randy, no big deal. Hey now about the food, we made homemade Jambalaya to compliment the shrimp boil. What was your dish again? LOL ;)

Sparky1
07-23-2009, 08:45 PM
I'll bring a sackfull of Krystal's next time... with cheese.

As for me bringing one of my Hatts to a rendezvous "for once", I do believe this was the first rendezvous which would even be within the realm of reason to bring one. Just out of curiosity, what's the greatest distance you or any other Hatt owner has gone on their boat for the specific purpose of attending a rendezvous?

No, stopping off on the way to someplace else doesn't count. I'm guessing Walt holds that distinction, but I may be wrong.

ThirdHatt
07-23-2009, 09:24 PM
I'll bring a sackfull of Krystal's next time... with cheese.

As for me bringing one of my Hatts to a rendezvous "for once", I do believe this was the first rendezvous which would even be within the realm of reason to bring one. Just out of curiosity, what's the greatest distance you or any other Hatt owner has gone on their boat for the specific purpose of attending a rendezvous?

No, stopping off on the way to someplace else doesn't count. I'm guessing Walt holds that distinction, but I may be wrong.

Well all I can say is that I brought my boat the farthest distance of the 16 boats that attended our Gulf Coast Hatteras Rendezvous. I'm sure it pales in comparison to the distance that others have taken their boats to attend other Hatt events, but I did bring my boat.

I was just joking with you because you brought it up. I do believe that you hold the dubious distinction for attending the most Hatteras Rendezvous and gatherings without ever bringing your boat. Heck, if you had invested all the time and money that you have spent traveling to the various Hatteras Rendezvous over the last 2+ years into that 12V71, you would have had it up and running a long ago my friend! :)

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that you get her fixed and bring Freebird down here next year. We've all rallied behind you in fixing that engine several times in the past, what's once more?

C'mon, Randy......whadda ya say??? :)

Sparky1
07-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Well all I can say is that I brought my boat the farthest distance of the 16 boats that attended our Gulf Coast Hatteras Rendezvous. I'm sure it pales in comparison to the distance that others have taken their boats to attend other Hatt events, but I did bring my boat.

I was just joking with you because you brought it up. I do believe that you hold the dubious distinction for attending the most Hatteras Rendezvous and gatherings without ever bringing your boat. Heck, if you had invested all the time and money that you have spent traveling to the various Hatteras Rendezvous over the last 2+ years into that 12V71, you would have had it up and running a long ago my friend! :)

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that you get her fixed and bring Freebird down here next year. We've all rallied behind you in fixing that engine several times in the past, what's once more?

C'mon, Randy......whadda ya say??? :)Hmmm, whadda I say? Golly, where do I begin? :)

Not that it's a contest or anything, but your coming to a regular destination during the time of a rendezvous hardly wins you a prize, especially when you leave your boat there for weeks or months at a time. Now Walter P, for example, has traveled some 120 nautical miles one way to attend a rendezvous for three days and returned home. That's what I meant when I asked the question of who's gone the farthest for the specific purpose of attending a rendezvous.

As for my having the dubious distinction for attending the most Hatteras Rendezvous and gatherings without ever bringing my boat, this rendezvous orchestrated by bigbill was the first that was within 1,000 nautical miles of me. I've made lots of friends on this forum, and plane fair is cheap when I can fly standby. If you know of a mechanic who could rebuild my engine for what I've spent attending these gatherings, please give him my phone number.

Too bad there wasn't a rendezvous to attend when I was bringing my 58 to Tennessee from Florida on one engine a couple of years ago. Seems like just yesterday you were again questioning my finances and wondering out loud why I would endanger the lives of those who chose to assist me in that endeavor. For some reason, those posts disappeared, but I'm sure you recall the thread. Now if you wonder why I would make such an effort to attend these occasional gatherings where I am able to spend face to face time with those would would offer such assistance, you have your answer my friend. :)

You're a nice boy Byron, and it's sweet of you to be behind me. Knowing you're behind me brings me great comfort as I know I don't have to worry about going around or through you. Damn, I've used up my allotment of smilies on this post now. Wonder why it is there can only be four?

ThirdHatt
07-24-2009, 08:04 AM
C'mon now Randy, don't get your feathers all ruffled. First of all, you don't get the privelege of questioning how far someone has taken their boat to a rendezvous at all if you have never brought your own, so that's that.

Actually I did call Diesel Don and left a message with your name and phone number for him to call you back when you wouldn't call him back, but I guess that didn't work either.

Not to beat a dead horse, but one burned piston is simply not that big a deal to have your boat laid up for going on three years and we have all continually rallied behind you to just "get 'er done". The head is rebuilt, the engine is already stripped down, so once again it is probably $3-5k to have someone simply replace ONE cylinder kit and button it back up. Now, cheap flights and gasoline and hotels and vodka, you cannot tell me you haven't spent a few thousand in all your travels. I guess it's all about priorities. :)

Sparky1
07-24-2009, 08:19 AM
First, my feathers aren't ruffled. Second, since when is it a "privelege" to ask questions on this forum and what did my question have to do with my not having taken a boat to a rendezvous?

As for Diesel Don, I did call him for the second time after so many of you gave him such glowing reviews. We talked a bit and he asked me to follow up with an email, which I did. He was to contact me when he had time to check out my engine, but I never heard from him again. Sorry, I'm not chasing an over-priced prima donna.

This engine may only be suffering from one burned piston, or it may be something much more serious. As it stands, I have two guys who say they can get me up and running this winter when they have the time to spend. Things have finally settled down on the home and financial front a bit, so one way or the other, I'll have that engine running by spring or there will be another one (or two) in there.

Thanks again for your concern. :)

ThirdHatt
07-24-2009, 08:38 AM
First, my feathers aren't ruffled. Second, since when is it a "privelege" to ask questions on this forum and what did my question have to do with my not having taken a boat to a rendezvous?

As for Diesel Don, I did call him for the second time after so many of you gave him such glowing reviews. We talked a bit and he asked me to follow up with an email, which I did. He was to contact me when he had time to check out my engine, but I never heard from him again. Sorry, I'm not chasing an over-priced prima donna.

This engine may only be suffering from one burned piston, or it may be something much more serious. As it stands, I have two guys who say they can get me up and running this winter when they have the time to spend. Things have finally settled down on the home and financial front a bit, so one way or the other, I'll have that engine running by spring or there will be another one (or two) in there.

Thanks again for your concern. :)

I just thought it was funny that the guy who hasn't brought his boat to anything is questioning how far others have traveled out of their way, that's all. Pretty ironic.

About Diesel Don, apparently (according to you) he is the only Detroit mechanic in your area and prima-donna or not we were all hoping he would just do the patch-job that you wanted and get you up and running. Sometimes really busy people will not chase the little jobs, so it does not surprise me that he didn't make the effort to get your job. This is why I called him to ask him to help you, but I guess he ignored my request. Oh well, I tried.

Remember that the consensus by all the experts here is that by far the odds are that it is just the one burned piston, nothing more. Unfortunately, you may actually have to hire someone or ask a favor and have someone travel to you to confirm what the extent of the damage is.

All joking aside, that is fantastic news that things are shaping up for you. We all joke and kid alot here on this forum, but we all care about each other, our boats and our overall well-being. I truly wish you the best of luck with everything, and really hope that your 58 is traveling south next year. Now, remember, if you travel down here and attend the rendezvous but continue on to Florida to visit more friends, it will not count by your own requirements. :)

GOOD LUCK!

Sparky1
07-24-2009, 09:04 AM
I forget how paranoid you can be Byron, but there was no ulterior motive in my asking how far someone had traveled to attend a rendezvous. It was a question based on simple curiosity. I fail to see any irony.

You go from accusing me of not calling back Diesel Don to defending him for not wanting to take on a job he can't buy a new car with. This after admitting he never called you back either. Does he not know who you are? :)

As you may recall, this guy quoted $4K per hole (plus expenses) to rebuild a 12V71N. That was over two years ago when I was first made aware of his services. To put that into perspective, captddis' friend, Diesel Roger, quoted me a worst case scenario of $30K to install a brand new Reliabuilt long block, complete with warranty.

I doubt I'll come by boat to the next Gulf coast rendezvous as that would still be some 800 miles one way. Maybe I'll see about recruiting some of the Hatteras owners on the river to stage a rendezvous on Pickwick or Guntersville someplace. You up for a little trip up the Tenn-Tom?

If I can negotiate those locks on one engine with a 58, I'm sure you could do it with two. A freshwater vacation would do the ole' gal good. Sort of like one of those high dollar enemas you rich folks enjoy. :)

ThirdHatt
07-24-2009, 09:23 AM
I forget how paranoid you can be Byron, but there was no ulterior motive in my asking how far someone had traveled to attend a rendezvous. It was a question based on simple curiosity. I fail to see any irony.

You go from accusing me of not calling back Diesel Don to defending him for not wanting to take on a job he can't buy a new car with. This after admitting he never called you back either. Does he not know who you are? :)

As you may recall, this guy quoted $4K per hole (plus expenses) to rebuild a 12V71N. That was over two years ago when I was first made aware of his services. To put that into perspective, captddis' friend, Diesel Roger, quoted me a worse case scenario of $30K to install a brand new Reliabuilt long block, complete with warranty.

I doubt I'll come by boat to the next Gulf coast rendezvous as that would still be some 800 miles one way. Maybe I'll see about recruiting some of the Hatteras owners on the river to stage a rendezvous on Pickwick or Guntersville someplace. You up for a little trip up the Tenn-Tom?

If I can negotiate those locks on one engine with a 58, I'm sure you could do it with two. A freshwater vacation would do the ole' gal good. Sort of like one of those high dollar enemas you rich folks enjoy. :)

No paranoia here, it was quite obvious that you discounted my travel distance simply because I was already taking a trip.

You wouldn't call Diesel Don back to follow up after sending one email and a month of waiting. That's not my choice, it was yours. I even called him to remind him for you because you were too proud or whatever. I do not know him nor does he know me. I did not ask him to call me, I simply called saying I was a friend of yours and you really would appreciate a call back to follow up.

I do recall the $4k per hole quote for rebuild and you will recall that quote included both teardown and buildup. You already have the engine town down, so your cost would be significantly less. Add his travel time costs and we're back to the $3-5k estimate to have the right guy (overpriced prima donna or not) do the job right. Apparently instead you have chosen to wait until a fellow HOF member is generous enough to come save you some money(like Krush with your A/C). Good for you, I hope that works out for you.

I think it's a great idea for you to start your own renedvous up there, that is one way that you could surely get a boat there. As far as my going up there, I think I'll pass. I am not the one who has made it a life mission to attend all Hatteras rendezvous, I'll leave that to you. ;)

Sparky1
07-24-2009, 09:46 AM
No paranoia here, it was quite obvious that you discounted my travel distance simply because I was already taking a trip.

You wouldn't call Diesel Don back to follow up after sending one email and a month of waiting. That's not my choice, it was yours. I even called him to remind him for you because you were too proud or whatever. I do not know him nor does he know me. I did not ask him to call me, I simply called saying I was a friend of yours and you really would appreciate a call back to follow up.

I do recall the $4k per hole quote for rebuild and you will recall that quote included both teardown and buildup. You already have the engine town down, so your cost would be significantly less. Add his travel time costs and we're back to the $3-5k estimate to have the right guy (overpriced prima donna or not) do the job right. Apparently instead you have chosen to wait until a fellow HOF member is generous enough to come save you some money(like Krush with your A/C). Good for you, I hope that works out for you.

I think it's a great idea for you to start your own renedvous up there, that is one way that you could surely get a boat there. As far as my going up there, I think I'll pass. I am not the one who has made it a life mission to attend all Hatteras rendezvous, I'll leave that to you. ;)ROFLOL!! This is better than any soap opera I've seen lately. :D

I didn't "discount" your travel distance, I just simply reminded you of the specific question I asked. Regardless of the state of teardown my engine is in, that $4K per hole quote just showed me what I was up against with using this guy in comparison with Dave's contact. Once again you go jumping to conclusions about an HOF member coming to my rescue and fixing my engine. Hate to disappoint you bub, but the Detroit Diesel world doesn't revolve around this forum. The two guys I mentioned are local DD mechanics, plain and simple. If that doesn't work out, I'll yank the thing and take it to a truck shop if it proves to need a total rebuild/replacement.

As for krush saving me money, ROFLOL again!!!! I spent more money feeding, watering, and riding him around than I would have spent to have somebody else do what he did for free. He and I have spoken many times on the Internet and phone over the years and have become friends. He had an airplane, some freon, a need for hours, and some free time along with never having seen this part of the country. On top of that, the boy was lonely with his wife being out of the country. He spent about an hour working on the boat with the rest of our time spent just having fun. I had fun, how about you Jay? LOL

You really are a trip Byron! Are you sure you didn't vote for Obama?

ThirdHatt
07-24-2009, 10:00 AM
ROFLOL!! This is better than any soap opera I've seen lately. :D

I didn't "discount" your travel distance, I just simply reminded you of the specific question I asked. Regardless of the state of teardown my engine is in, that $4K per hole quote just showed me what I was up against with using this guy in comparison with Dave's contact. Once again you go jumping to conclusions about an HOF member coming to my rescue and fixing my engine. Hate to disappoint you bub, but the Detroit Diesel world doesn't revolve around this forum. The two guys I mentioned are local DD mechanics, plain and simple. If that doesn't work out, I'll yank the thing and take it to a truck shop if it proves to need a total rebuild/replacement.

As for krush saving me money, ROFLOL again!!!! I spent more money feeding, watering, and riding him around than I would have spent to have somebody else do what he did for free. He and I have spoken many times on the Internet and phone over the years and have become friends. He had an airplane, some freon, a need for hours, and some free time along with never having seen this part of the country. On top of that, the boy was lonely with his wife being out of the country. He spent about an hour working on the boat with the rest of our time spent just having fun. I had fun, how about you Jay? LOL

You really are a trip Byron! Are you sure you didn't vote for Obama?

OH, so there ARE other Detroit mechanics in your area? EXCELLENT! I seem to recall on one of your past engine threads that you claimed that there were none near you, other than Diesel Don.

Glad to hear (again) that you plan to hire a mechanic to fix your engine. While I am certainly hopeful, you'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath. One thing I do know for certain is that you have tried on several occasions to get HOF members to come fix your engine for you (YachtsmanBill, Silverado, Boatsb, etc). It hasn't worked out so far, so hopefully your new plan will.

Remember no matter how hard you try to overcomplicate this ONE burned hole, you really do not need a whole new engine.

Once again, best of luck to you!

Avenger
07-24-2009, 10:04 AM
http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/1974_eating_popcorn.gif

ThirdHatt
07-24-2009, 10:08 AM
http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/1974_eating_popcorn.gif

Good stuff huh? I bet this is better than any soap opera Sparky watches!

TOO MUCH FUN!! :)

By the way Scrod, I LOVE your quote!

Sparky1
07-24-2009, 10:10 AM
OH, so there ARE other Detroit mechanics in your area? EXCELLENT! I seem to recall on one of your past engine threads that you claimed that there were none near you, other than Diesel Don.

Glad to hear (again) that you plan to hire a mechanic to fix your engine. While I am certainly hopeful, you'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath. One thing I do know for certain is that you have tried on several occasions to get HOF members to come fix your engine for you (YachtsmanBill, Silverado, Boatsb, etc). It hasn't worked out so far, so hopefully your new plan will.

Remember no matter how hard you try to overcomplicate this ONE burned hole, you really do not need a whole new engine.

Once again, best of luck to you!Thanks Byron, you're so sweet!

It's just so amazing that you've determined I've tried to "overcomplicate this ONE burned hole" when you've never seen the engine. FYI, the members you referenced have made the initial contacts with me that they may in fact be able to fix this engine. Who knows, maybe one of them still will. I'd rather spend money with friends as opposed to spending it with strangers.

Speaking of friends, it was through another boating forum friend (who I've since met in person) that I found these other mechanics. Good thing I haven't reached the point where I have all the friends I need huh?

Gosh, I remember a time when you would have been critical of this type conversation as one that should have been done by PM. This one sure does get the tech and social aspect intertwined huh?

Imagine that!

Sparky1
07-24-2009, 10:15 AM
http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/1974_eating_popcorn.gifHey Derek, do you know where that popcorn's been? http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif

ThirdHatt
07-24-2009, 10:22 AM
You are right Randy, I have not seen your engine (and apparently nobody else has looked at it in almost 3 years!) and I am no mechanic. All I know is what I have read in the many, many posts you have made describing in detail what happened to the engine and the many, many responses from very knowledgeable HOF members describing the potential damage and repairs required. They all agreed that the probability is just the one burned cylinder kit and MAYBE a scored crank. Unfortunately you will not listen and prefer to wonder about complete rebuilds and repowers, etc. Considering that, I'd say that all the talk about repowering and outboards on a bracket and replacing the engine with a $30k reman, etc is certainly overcomplicating things.

Once again that 12V71 is the dead horse that keeps getting beaten. Hopefully it will live to burn fuel another day, but at this rate who knows.

WOW that was fun! Unfortunately ole Freebird is still awaiting some love. :(