PDA

View Full Version : 44' Motoryacht, Pros and Cons

silverpaul
08-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Considering a 44' MY, 1967 asking $85K private sale (I think it will go for less). It's in Northern California so I would have a way to travel. Looking for some pros and cons to see if the trip is justified. I would prefer something larger (50 or 53) but the $$'s aren't there.

Paul
Ventura, California

spartonboat1
08-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Its all about the survey. I had a survey done at my cost, before I even went over for the sea trial, which was a ferry boat ride across Lake MI. Hard nosed surveyor was on the money. At least get some pictures (many) to review. What engines and hours?

SeaEric
08-12-2008, 08:01 AM
In my opinion, the primo 44MY specimen would be powered with 871N's, have 2 staterooms with the V-berth configuration forward and the standard twin berths aft.

8v53 power was available, along with a 3 stateroom layout and stacked upper/lower berths forward. Some have had a "redo" where a funky athwartships double berth has been added in the aft cabin.

I prefer unmolested, original boats where possible.

silverpaul
08-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Boat in question has 8V53's with 1100 hours and is a 3 SR. Pix look good. Anybody have comments on sea handling? How about boarding from dock (the Admiral has a bad back!).

Thanks,

Paul, Ventura, CA

REBrueckner
08-12-2008, 02:25 PM
While I'd prefer the 8V71's, the low hours most of actually use boats makes it rather academic....if you want a MY, no cockpit, then you are all set....if you want to gunkhole,swim,fish, whatever, a cockpit may suit your lifestyle better ....the MY configuration gives you the most interior room, perhaps especially nice for live aboards....want a flybridge?? good relative value but don't buy it unless you keep it for a while or get a great price....

Pete
08-12-2008, 04:55 PM
A while back I commented on this model based on my ownership experience back in the early 80s. Take a look at http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1851&highlight=battery+switch
especially the last post.

Pete

spartonboat1
08-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Boat in question has 8V53's with 1100 hours and is a 3 SR. Pix look good. Anybody have comments on sea handling? How about boarding from dock (the Admiral has a bad back!).

Thanks,

Paul, Ventura, CA

Good sea boats into a head or quartering head sea, tend to snap in a broaching sea, and in a following sea the full length keel helps handling, if you let the boat "surf" and don't over steer. I have the follow on hull, the early '70's 43'MY and at 12.5-13Kn, which is about what you would see for cruise speed, can run into 3-5' seas with a gentle bouncing and some thrown seas in air. 1-3' seas are not really noticeble. At the risk of being verbose, a number of times we have headed out into seas that we rode well, only to have other boats behind us turn back, or if they tried to pass, got airborne in the seas and dropped back in behind us. Also, if you get caught out in conditions worse than you would prefer, she will get you home if you check down a little.

Boarding from dock will be as good as you will see. There is a global standard for how much a boat should list (heel over) when a vertical load is applied at the gunnel. The 44' would meet the best spec I have seen. They heel very little while boarding. If you ride high vs. the dock, then a Marquipt ladder would be indicated. The Marquipt will ride up and down with the boat and adjust to the dock. After 11 years I bought one for my aging parents who are not as mobile as they once were and it is a boon.