PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Phasor Genny?

Bob Bradley
07-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Good or bad?

MicroKap
07-31-2008, 05:16 PM
I have around 700 hours on my 21KW Phasor generator with no problems at all. It runs quietly in its hush box and maintenance points are easily accessible. I've put only 200 hours on the generator since I purchased the boat. It's a lot quieter than the Kohler generator on the starboard side (no hush box).

Boatsb
07-31-2008, 05:24 PM
I can't speak from experience but I met someone who had a smaller 3600 rpm unit and he was surprised by the noise level being higher than expected.

Bob Bradley
07-31-2008, 06:05 PM
There's a Phasor distributor here in Conn who should be able to put me on a couple boats to listen to the volume firsthand. It can't be much louder than my Onan, especially since the sound shield is almost always half off so I can get the POS running.

jcjp
07-31-2008, 09:40 PM
I have a 7.5 kw with the 3 cyl. kubota engine. Rock solid generator. Tommy in their Conn. office is one of the better people I have met in the 20 plus years I been boating.

Calcutta
07-31-2008, 09:46 PM
I've got a three year-old Phasor 6.5kw in my 36. I've been tickled to pieces with it's performance and reliability.

GAC

bdewar
07-31-2008, 10:09 PM
I bought a boat with a 21kw unit, with a Kubota engine. It had been neglected and was about 10 years old with 1100 hours. It is easy to service. The support from Southeastern power has been good and the gen set has performed well since i have caught up on the maintenance. I had to replace a heat exchanger core. ( Neglect). I would buy another.

Fanfare
08-01-2008, 03:15 AM
600 hrs on a 12.5 Kw over 3 or 4 years. No problems whatsoever. All consumables are available at NAPA stores. Much quieter and vibration free than Onan. Excellent phone service although internet email link seems to be shut down ( I hate writing a long email, only to have it bounce back as undeliverable).

I have the remote control panel at lower steering station. I would prefer to start the generator using the duplicate panel on the generator, as I always check oil (and water, unless hot) before starting. However, then I have to shut it down from below and that is at the end of a day when it's hot down there. I asked about starting from below, stopping from above. Was told it was done this way to prevent having an extra relay involved, as relays were an additional trouble spot. So now I start from above. I like their philosophy of avoiding trouble.

The Phasor is 200 lbs. lighter than the 12 Kw Onan. Their sound shield is slightly larger than Onan's, but is very effective.

While your generator is out, add some forced ventilation, both in and out, to the generator compartment. Get that hot air out. I am convinced this will cut your air conditioning load a lot.

Reelin
08-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Bob,
I have a Next Gen 3.5Kw (3600RPM). To make the story short. Phasor is a very similar setup. (Phasor was a spinoff company from Next Gen.). The Phasor and Next Gen are 99% the same setup. I needed to rebuilt my engine and was having problems getting someone to rebuild it until I happened on the Phasor guy in Deep River. I can not say enough about the service from the guy in Deep River. I would not hesitate in buying a Phasor based on their support. He rebuilt my engine in an afternoon.

Captned
08-01-2008, 08:44 AM
I have a 12.5kw Phasor with sound shield. VERY happy with it, compared to my 25 year old POS Onan it replaced. Turn it on, it runs till you turn it off. Everything but draining the heat exchanger is done from the front.

Captned

Bob Bradley
08-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Great feedback, guys. I really appreciate it.

One more question: Has anybody run the unit without the sound shield? I know my Onan is loud with a sound shield, and I'm sort of used to it. If the Phasor is quiet enough, I'd consider foregoing the $1500 shield.

Brian Degulis
08-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Phasor with Kubota power = good The Kubota is a solid engine used in lots of farm equiptment parts and service are good. There is a diffrent kind of sound shield you might look into. It's a pipe frame around the unit with sound blankets laced to it. I thought it was a good Idea cause it was easier to remove them for service I don't remember where I saw it might have been Passagemaker?

Brian

ThirdHatt
08-02-2008, 11:06 AM
I have heard nothing but good things about Phasor gensets over the years as well. My mechanic has become a dealer for them now because he loves them and I trust his word.

I replaced the old Onan in my boat in '05 with a Northern Lights 16kw. I bought the sound shield and have NEVER installed it! The unit is so darn quiet and the serviceability is so easy I am still deciding if I will EVER install the shield so for now it sits in the garage still in the box.

I bet you could save the money and skip the shield. These newer units do not make the noise that the older sets do. The only thing I can imagine that would be better than dropping a brand new genny in your boat is dropping in two brand new mains. You gotta love new machinery!

ENJOY!

Fanfare
08-02-2008, 12:13 PM
If you installed the generator with room to add the sound shield later you could test out the noise and maybe save some money.

The factory sound shield comes with a built in cooling fan at the engine end of the unit. This may explain both the size of the box and cost of the shield. I am pretty impressed with the quiet of the Phasor. When I am in the saloon almost the only way I can tell it's running is by the swoosh of the exhaust water. If my waterlift muffler ever gives up I have considered replacing it with one of the new water-separating mufflers. They have two hoses, one for water, which discharges below waterline, and the conventional one, now carrying only gasses. No experience with one, however.